Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-08-2023, 05:00 PM   #1

Smaller spare tire - weird or not?

Would it be odd to have a spare tire that is 14 inches, but the tires on the trailer are 15". I mean, if the spare were ever used, it would be just to get to the next town to get the regular 15" tire repaired or replaced. A rare event. So, during that time the trailer would have a 14" spare and a 15" on the other side.

How not-recommended would this be?
adsfhjq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 05:47 PM   #2

Likely owner or dealer upgraded to 15 inch but didn't bother with spare.
I myself would get another 15 inch rim and tire and sell the 14 inch
When it comes to weight capacity it could be ok but is it worth a second blowout because you didn't match it up to what's on trailer.
As an aside when I changed up tires I bought 5. I want my spare same age, size, weight class and ready to confidently put on and go

RoadrunnerII

TV 2016 F250 Crew Sterling Gray SB 6.7 PS airlift ultimate Air bags
2017 Eagle 321RSTS
Pullrite autoslider
RoadrunnerII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2023, 06:06 PM   #3

My 2017 came from the factory with 15s on the trailer and a 14 spare. I have only used the trailer on 250 mile trips since new. Now that I am going to start 2kmile trips and longer I am upgrading to a 15" spare. Who knows if the next town will have what you need. Luckily, I have never had to use the spare and the cheap stock tires have held up through a lot.
Oregontrx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:03 PM   #4

I agree with Roadrunner II about having everything the same size. You never know when a tire will blow or if the next town will have what you need. And what happens if you need service late at night, or on a Sunday or holiday and every place is closed? That's what happened when I had my first blow-out!

After I ruined two rims just by driving to the next exit on the freeway, I did a
Google search and discovered etrailer.com. They have an easy dialogue box, where you just enter the make, model & year of your RV, and it tells you what rim you need. They have a wide selection of rims (most of them are in stock for quick shipment), and their prices are very reasonable. They also carry a ton of other RV parts & accessories.

You may want to give them a look-see.
Old 02-09-2023, 12:46 PM   #5

On a trailer it is not a requirement that the tires are the same size. I would not worry about it.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2023, 12:56 PM   #6

Any spare is better than no spare and running on a single tire same side. The good tire will carry the weight of what both should share and will come apart. For a short run to a repair facility or to get to the next town...all should be fine with the 14". For the long haul, the 15" will be carrying more than it's weight portion and could cause overheating and separation. If you're asking this because you already have a 14"...all good. If you're purchasing a 14"...go bigger.
Retired @ PCB
The Gritz Carlton is offline   Reply With Quote