Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2021, 04:09 PM   #1

Tire Date of Manufacture

Hi all. I've been reading about tires lately. Specifically for my 2010 Jayco Ultralight 29L.

I need to find the date of manufacture of the tires. Google has told me that the 4 digit code after the "DOT" is the date. First 2 digit is the week (out of 52) and last 2 is the year.

But on my Goodyear Marathon I have a 4 digit code before (not after) the DOT and the numbers can't make sense.

1402 DOT
1601 DOT
1601 DOT
1432 DOT

So, my tires were manufactured:
April 2002
April 2001
April 2001
April 2032
?????????? I've looked, re looked, had my wife look etc etc!

I have a hard time believing 3 of my tires are 20 years old and one of them is visiting me from 11 years in the future.

Can someone link a good resource to decode the tire sidewalls? It's obvious Google is just making fun of me at this point.

Good year Marathon radial ST205/75R 14

Any help is appreciated!
Greenic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 04:16 PM   #2

I just looked at my Goodyear Endurance and the 4 digit date code is after the DOT mark. All four show 2019 dates.
Riich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 05:12 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenic View Post
Hi all. I've been reading about tires lately. Specifically for my 2010 Jayco Ultralight 29L.

I need to find the date of manufacture of the tires. Google has told me that the 4 digit code after the "DOT" is the date. First 2 digit is the week (out of 52) and last 2 is the year.

But on my Goodyear Marathon I have a 4 digit code before (not after) the DOT and the numbers can't make sense.

1402 DOT
1601 DOT
1601 DOT
1432 DOT

So, my tires were manufactured:
April 2002
April 2001
April 2001
April 2032
?????????? I've looked, re looked, had my wife look etc etc!

I have a hard time believing 3 of my tires are 20 years old and one of them is visiting me from 11 years in the future.

Can someone link a good resource to decode the tire sidewalls? It's obvious Google is just making fun of me at this point.

Good year Marathon radial ST205/75R 14

Any help is appreciated!
Unless I am mistaken the tire code is read the year and then the week within the year. So a code of 2015 would be a tire manufactured the 15th week of 2020.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:00 PM   #4

I would look on the backside and see if you can find a different date code. Even if you have the factory tires on it, they shouldn't be much older than the RV is (so ~2009 tires). ~CA
Old 07-26-2021, 07:11 PM   #5

Ahhhh there it is. Back side of the tire. Thanks very much.

I looked up several more sites that say "The last four digits of this code tell you when your tire was manufactured. The first two numbers indicate what week of the year it was made (out of 52 weeks per year), and the second two numbers represent the year. For example, 5200 would reveal that a tire was manufactured during the 52nd week of the year 2000."

And all 4 of my tires say 0110 so I guess it's about time to get some new tires.
Old 07-26-2021, 07:14 PM   #6

When I want to determine the date of manufacture of a tire, I look for the four numbers inside of an oval. The oval is maybe 2/3 of an inch wide and a quarter inch tall. If you're lucky, it's on the outside sidewall. If not, grab a flashlight and crawl under the vehicle.
As for a DOT symbol, that is not relevant, to the best of my knowledge.
thirdktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 07:17 PM   #7

So, Here's another question then if anyone seasoned weekend warrior or full timers have these tires...

Road Rider ST IV 205/75/r14

Yes, they are economy/entry level. Some would classify these as "China Bombs"? I talked to the tire guy and he said they all come with the same warranty and it's the only tire left I can get.

So I'm stuck with either 11 year old tires that look "OK" or new "Econo tires".

Any opinions?

Appreciate any opinions/feedback!
Old 07-26-2021, 07:33 PM   #8

Did you check Wal-Mart?
Old 07-26-2021, 07:36 PM   #9

These:

https://www.discounttire.com/buy-tir...-tire-m8008-st

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:07 PM   #10

Some comments on DOT date code.
re "oval" Tire mfg use different methods of changing the aluminum"plug" in their molds for the "date code". Not all use an oval plug. Some have used stamped steel strip or "tin" so it can have a different appearance.

Some things that is true about all DOT serial

The code comes AFTER the symbol DOT by law
The first 2 characters are a plant code. the next 2 are a size code.

The last 4 numbers are the date code.
The serial may have as few as 8 characters and as many as 13 with most having 12 or 13.
The date part of the serial only is required on ONE SIDE so may not be on the curb side but facing in toward the coach.

My advice is to find the code and record it when it is convenient to you. Nice weather day. If needed i have suggested a $5 or $10 bill and a flashlight and a 10 year old to craul under the coach if needed.
Remember you may need to "roll" the RV forward or back a few feet to get the serial in a position that the 10 year old can see it.

Keep the full serial with your other important part numbers as you never know when you will need this information.
Old 07-26-2021, 09:19 PM   #11

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tireman9 View Post
Some comments on DOT date code.
re "oval" Tire mfg use different methods of changing the aluminum"plug" in their molds for the "date code". Not all use an oval plug. Some have used stamped steel strip or "tin" so it can have a different appearance.

Some things that is true about all DOT serial

The code comes AFTER the symbol DOT by law
The first 2 characters are a plant code. the next 2 are a size code.

The last 4 numbers are the date code.
The serial may have as few as 8 characters and as many as 13 with most having 12 or 13.
The date part of the serial only is required on ONE SIDE so may not be on the curb side but facing in toward the coach.

My advice is to find the code and record it when it is convenient to you. Nice weather day. If needed i have suggested a $5 or $10 bill and a flashlight and a 10 year old to craul under the coach if needed.
Remember you may need to "roll" the RV forward or back a few feet to get the serial in a position that the 10 year old can see it.

Keep the full serial with your other important part numbers as you never know when you will need this information.
Awesome, Great info! thanks for the responses.
I've been reading that tires seem to be a "hot topic" with many different opinions and a ton of knowledge. Love learning from the community, thanks!
Old 07-26-2021, 09:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenic View Post
So, Here's another question then if anyone seasoned weekend warrior or full timers have these tires...

Road Rider ST IV 205/75/r14

Yes, they are economy/entry level. Some would classify these as "China Bombs"? I talked to the tire guy and he said they all come with the same warranty and it's the only tire left I can get.

So I'm stuck with either 11 year old tires that look "OK" or new "Econo tires".

Any opinions?

Appreciate any opinions/feedback!
You can order 'top of the line' (Made in the USA) Goodyear Endurance from walmart or any GY tire store
dannyabear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 09:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannyabear View Post
You can order 'top of the line' Goodyear Endurance from walmart or any GY tire store
Forgot to mention I am in Canada and we do not have the availability of all the same brands (or prices!) as my friends to the south. Many retailers in my area just laugh when I've been calling them.

Covid has created quite a demand for tires apparently!
Old 07-27-2021, 10:01 AM   #14

You can get Goodyear Endurance tires at Canadian Tire here in Ontario
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote