Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-18-2021, 02:18 PM   #1

Tire max tire pressure versus Trailer sticker

On my E tires on my Jayco Eagle it says Max cold pressure is 80psi. On the trailer sticker it says 65psi. I just bought the trailer used and right now from the dealer all 4 tires are 78-80psi. My question is should I go with what's on the sticker or what's on the tire. I posted the question on Facebook and the consensus was to go with what's on the trailer. I just thought I'd look for a second opinion so to speak.
Bobstekeur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 02:44 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobstekeur View Post
On my E tires on my Jayco Eagle it says Max cold pressure is 80psi. On the trailer sticker it says 65psi. I just bought the trailer used and right now from the dealer all 4 tires are 78-80psi. My question is should I go with what's on the sticker or what's on the tire. I posted the question on Facebook and the consensus was to go with what's on the trailer. I just thought I'd look for a second opinion so to speak.
This has been discussed and discussed and discussed and you won't find a consensus here or on any other forum.

I personally would follow the sticker which is based on what the tire manuf says to inflate the tires to based on the loaded weight.
Old 06-18-2021, 03:09 PM   #3

If it’s the original wheels, I would use what is on the trailer. If they are upgraded(or even changed to metal valve stems), I would use the tire.
2x Honda 2K
NewBlackDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:28 PM   #4

Perfect example of Facebook advice. Gotta find what the WHEEL (not the tire) can handle. If it can handle 80, go with 80. Sounds like the previous owner upgraded from D range tires. Pretty simple.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 05:08 PM   #5

Or the 3rd alternative. Check with your tire manufacturer's website (if they have one - maybe not if they are China Bombs). Most of them have tables that indicate the correct pressure for trailer tires based on load. 80 psi is the correct pressure at the maximum load for that tire. 65 psi is the correct pressure for a (possibly D range) OEM tire at the trailers dry weight. Take your rig to a CAT or commercial scale and find out what the actual weight is on each tire normally loaded. Look up that weight on the manufacturer's website, and run that pressure in the tire. It will provide the best handling and wear as determined by your tire manufacturer.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 06:31 PM   #6

Here’s what I do know, they’re new tires, they are made in China, they’re Power king Towmax STR II 225/75/15, they seem to get good reviews, the wheels came with the trailer when I bought it used so I don’t know if they’re OEM or not. So far what I’ve heard here has made more sense than anything I got on Facebook. I just got a tire pressure system and was trying to figure out the high and low for the warnings when I noticed the difference in what’s on the tire and trailer. All I want to do is be as safe as possible.
Old 06-18-2021, 06:33 PM   #7

I might also add this is my first RV of any kind so it’s all a learning experience for me. They are load range E tires
Old 06-18-2021, 06:56 PM   #8

I switched to Goodyear Marathons and upgraded C to D. Tire says max is 65, old china bombs said 50. Wheels good to 80. Check with Goodyear and they say based on weight on tires. At 3,500 lbs. ( a little more than I weight) the chart said 55 and that is what I selected. I did run 65 at first but it shook every cabinet open and split a cabinet seam. So I went to Goodyear website and went with 55 lbs based on actual weight plus margin of error off the chart.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 07:34 PM   #9

Go with the tire manufactures set point. Make sure the rims are rated for the max pressure of the tire. Try to get any warranty out of a tire manufacturer when you say you ran them 15psi under inflated.
Best of luck.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2021, 09:41 AM   #10

So no, there is no chart that I can find for the blowmax tires. The website is here: https://towmaxtires.com/tire/details/towmax-str-ii
The tires are rated for 11,440# in a 2-axle configuration (about a 13,000# trailer). Not sure what model of Eagle you have, but if it is significantly less than that, then you would run them a bit less pressure for best performance. If you have a heavier Eagle, then full max pressure makes sense. I suspect it is a lighter trailer though as it sounds like these are an upgrade from a D to an E rated tire.
If you want to understand a good derate, check out the Goodyear site and find your size on the Endurance chart:
https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire...n-loading.aspx
It gives the proper inflation for a range of weights. The same size of Towmax would probably have a similar performance characteristic. 65psi would be correct to carry about 1080# of axle weight.

ETA: here is a similar chart from Maxxis if you want to compare:
https://www.maxxis.com/trailer/trail...nflation-chart
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2021, 02:32 PM   #11

For Goodyear Endurance

https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/pdfs/rv_inflation.pdf