Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-20-2022, 01:23 PM   #1

Trailer plug/lights not working, brakes?

2013 jayco jay flight 32bhds

I bought this last summer, brought it home, parked it, all good. I go to move it this week, hook my truck (2016 Ram 2500) up to it and throw my flashers on to check the lights... Nothing....check the brake lights, nothing. Took the 7 pin connector and cleaned it real good and put dielectric grease on it, hooked the truck up and I had all my running lights except the drivers rear, no change when I hit the brakes, no directionals.

Tried another truck, brand new F150, same scenario. OK I know it's not the truck. Went and got a new plug, cut the old one off and wired the new one on exactly as the old one was (cut it open to be sure). Same thing

I have not tested the brakes yet, I didn't exactly want to attempt towing it if it's brakes weren't working.

I disconnected the campers battery, went to the junction box on the hitch frame where the plug goes to, took the wire nut off the ground wires, inspected and cleaned them, then where the ground wire bolts to the hitch frame i took that off and cleaned it real good, hooked everything back up... No change.

Can someone help please?
J_Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 01:57 PM   #2

Sounds like a problem with the wiring from the plug to the junction box. Have you tried connecting the trailer plug to the tow vehicle and then use a multi-meter to see what you have at each connection in the junction box?

Last time I changed out my trailer plug I just ordered a molded plug with 8 feet of wire attached and just replaced everything back to the junction box. That way you don't have to worry about cutting/striping wires at the plug or poor connections. I also replaced that crappy metal square 4" box on all my trailers with a junction box like the one below, makes hookups and troubleshooting so much easier.

https://smile.amazon.com/MICTUNING-W...ps%2C89&sr=8-5

2015 Starcraft AR-ONE Maxx 21FB
2023 Chevrolet Suburban LT 1500
mrmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 05:18 PM   #3

Is your plug connections corroded? Many times they are if you do not treat them with dielectric grease.
Old 04-20-2022, 06:19 PM   #4
Site Team

Being a 2013, I guessing the taillights have regular incandescent bulbs, not LEDs. The sockets and/or bulbs may have a little oxidation on them, and aren't making good contact. Perhaps cleaning them up a bit might take care of it.

You can also check for function back there with a 12 volt test light or volt meter, while hooked to the truck. Our 2012 had bulbs, so I replaced them with a LED replacement kit from Command Electronics.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 16WhiteColly View Post
Is your plug connections corroded? Many times they are if you do not treat them with dielectric grease.
Yes, that was my first thought. The plug is brand new as of today
Old 04-20-2022, 06:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Being a 2013, I guessing the taillights have regular incandescent bulbs, not LEDs. The sockets and/or bulbs may have a little oxidation on them, and aren't making good contact. Perhaps cleaning them up a bit might take care of it.

You can also check for function back there with a 12 volt test light or volt meter, while hooked to the truck. Our 2012 had bulbs, so I replaced them with a LED replacement kit from Command Electronics.
Good call. I'll check them tomorrow. It would be awesome if it's just as simple as that
Old 04-20-2022, 07:00 PM   #7
Site Team

Fingers crossed that's all it is. Most taillight lenses aren't watertight, so the cheap socket arrangement is susceptible to losing good contact, either at the bulb contact, or the brass base, which is your ground.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 04-20-2022, 07:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Fingers crossed that's all it is. Most taillight lenses aren't watertight, so the cheap socket arrangement is susceptible to losing good contact, either at the bulb contact, or the brass base, which is your ground.
Good to know. Kind of like how the junction box on the hitch frame is a regular house style box with wire nuts inside rather than something water tight
Old 04-20-2022, 07:16 PM   #9

Just thought of something though...

With the trucks headlights on, all the lights on the camper come on except the drivers rear, the main red one. But the passenger side one lights up. There can only be one bulb in there right? So if it comes on for the headlight function... The bulb and socket must be ok right? But it doesn't do anything when you hit the brakes or turn signal
Old 04-21-2022, 12:53 AM   #10
Site Team

The bulb has two filaments inside it, one for taillights, and the other for brake/turn signal. One filament may be blown for the brake/signal circuit.

The bulb is probably the newer style #3157, not the old style #1157 with a brass base. Disregard that part of my thought.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 04-21-2022, 05:26 AM   #11

Sure sounds like the bulb to me too.
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 06:18 AM   #12

This is fine right?

Well... I just decided to check the bulb before leaving for work, will grab new bulbs today and update later.
Attached Thumbnails
PhotoGrid_1650543425013.jpg  
Old 04-21-2022, 06:56 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Ram View Post
This is fine right?

Well... I just decided to check the bulb before leaving for work, will grab new bulbs today and update later.
Can just about guarantee that's the problem
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 08:57 AM   #14

Quote:
This is fine right?

In police work we called that a CLUE!!!

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2022, 09:20 AM   #15

Quote:
This is fine right?

I would pickup some contact cleaner as well as new bulbs. If the bulb has a bit of rust on it then most likely so would the socket the bulb fits into. Then as I remember being mentioned earlier, a little bit of dielectric grease to keep the moisture out of the socket would be good. ~CA
Old 04-21-2022, 09:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by craigav View Post
I would pickup some contact cleaner as well as new bulbs. If the bulb has a bit of rust on it then most likely so would the socket the bulb fits into. Then as I remember being mentioned earlier, a little bit of dielectric grease to keep the moisture out of the socket would be good. ~CA
Yes sir, already on it. I've got the spray electronic connection cleaner as well as dielectric grease waiting at home.

BTW I really appreciate everyone who chimed in so far!
Old 04-21-2022, 09:35 AM   #17

Quote:
Yes sir, already on it. I've got the spray electronic connection cleaner as well as dielectric grease waiting at home.

BTW I really appreciate everyone who chimed in so far!
One other thought, check the seal around the light housings for cracks and separation as I have seen (even owned) many that with time the light's seal doesn't seal very well allowing for rain water (any water) to run down the back wall behind the light housings and into the socket or worse into the wall. My RV's have all used Butyl Putty Tape for the light assemblies seal, but I have seen some people use RV caulk around the light assembly. ~CA
Old 04-21-2022, 09:52 AM   #18
Site Team

You've just had an "AH HAAH" moment.

A bit of dielectric grease on the new bulb contacts would help to keep them from getting wet. Like the hot sauce commercial on tv, "I put that XXXX on everything"!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
Old 04-21-2022, 09:53 AM   #19

Quote:
You've just had an "AH HAAH" moment.

A bit of dielectric grease on the new bulb contacts would help to keep them from getting wet. Like the hot sauce commercial on tv, "I put that XXXX on everything"!
Haha exactly!
Old 04-21-2022, 10:25 AM   #20

The best cleaner that you can buy for cleaning the connections is DeoxIT. Used it for many years for cleaning electrical components on machine tools.

https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S-6-De...03658380&psc=1