Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-19-2019, 09:35 AM   #1

Send a message via Skype™ to jamaddox
Trip to Colorado Springs

This summer the family and I are going to be going to Colorado Springs and staying at Cheyenne mountain state park. Just looking for nay advice anyone can give me. When we booked the park there was a notice of about a 12% grade for one mile. While I am sure my truck and trailer can handle it I just wanted to see any anyone had any pulling advice. Also when I looked at the map it showed a front entrance and a back entrance. Does anyone know if that is right and if there are both 12% grades?

My truck is a 2017 F250 diesel and the trailer is a 27DSRL. The last mountain towing I did was on smaller mountains with a smaller truck and trailer
Equalizer WDH with 10k bars
jamaddox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 12:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamaddox View Post
This summer the family and I are going to be going to Colorado Springs and staying at Cheyenne mountain state park. Just looking for nay advice anyone can give me. When we booked the park there was a notice of about a 12% grade for one mile. While I am sure my truck and trailer can handle it I just wanted to see any anyone had any pulling advice. Also when I looked at the map it showed a front entrance and a back entrance. Does anyone know if that is right and if there are both 12% grades?

My truck is a 2017 F250 diesel and the trailer is a 27DSRL. The last mountain towing I did was on smaller mountains with a smaller truck and trailer
Don't know that park but have the exact same set up (F250 6.7L Diesel & 2016 DSRL). Pulled it up and down a similar grade on a trip to Mt Cheaha in Alabama. Going up was absolutely no issue. Coming down in a few spots I used the engine brake to keep the speed down and stay off the brakes.

You won't have any issues with the grade.

JHerzog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:03 PM   #3

You can see a very thorough discussion on a thread named

best practice descending on steep slope

In essence, start down at a slow speed and don't let it build up. Use engine brake and save the brakes. Check trailer brakes BEFORE you hit the downhill! Use both can and trailer brakes to equalize the load.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 04:56 PM   #4

Was there last fall - 2018 F-250 Lariat, 6.7l Diesel, 29RKS - You'll be fine, good road, no surprises. Entrance is from the East - JL Ranch Heights Rd.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:39 PM   #5

We stayed there a few nights in July. We came in off HWY 115 right across from Ft Carson's main gate. The grade up to the RV park was easy for my gasser. There is a 25 mph speed limit once you leave the highway and enter the park. There is a main entrance for the park that was unoccupied when we got there....skip it and the visitor center (if the booth is unoccupied) then go up the hill, passing all the shelters until you get to the top of the hill and see the signs for the RV check-in building. We really enjoyed the CG. Ft Carson was my first CONUS duty station and I forgot how much I missed Colorado Springs.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:43 PM   #6

i live in colorado springs and camp at cheyenne mt often. it is a steep climb up to the campsites,but you will have no problem getting to them. which spot did you get. the campgroung is one of our familys favorite places. just use the main entrance off hyway 115. you are going to love this place. lots of things to do in colorado springs.
Steve1152 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 09:37 AM   #7

Cheyenne Park Entrance

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrnigan View Post
Was there last fall - 2018 F-250 Lariat, 6.7l Diesel, 29RKS - You'll be fine, good road, no surprises. Entrance is from the East - JL Ranch Heights Rd.
That is what I thought but I also noticed that JL Heights goes right through the campground and connects to Norad road. Is that a better entrance than the off 115. The both look very curvy.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:40 AM   #8

Site

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve1152 View Post
i live in Colorado Springs and camp at Cheyenne mt often. it is a steep climb up to the campsites,but you will have no problem getting to them. which spot did you get. the campground is one of our family's favorite places. just use the main entrance off highway 115. you are going to love this place. lots of things to do in Colorado Springs.
We are going to be in site 58. I have been to Denver several times (although not lately). So I know of some of the things to do around there. I will be sure to look at the state parks website and pick up a camping guide. And of course any suggestions I get here as well.
Old 01-20-2019, 09:44 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHerzog View Post
Don't know that park but have the exact same set up (F250 6.7L Diesel & 2016 DSRL). Pulled it up and down a similar grade on a trip to Mt Cheaha in Alabama. Going up was absolutely no issue. Coming down in a few spots I used the engine brake to keep the speed down and stay off the brakes.

You won't have any issues with the grade.
Yeah the grades and out west is why I had to upgrade my truck. Do you keep the engine brake on automatic, use tow/haul mode and the hill descent? This will be my first time in the big mountains. Most of my trips were in my F150 in the Appalachians. Although I cant remember if I tackled MontEagle with my trailer and smaller truck.