Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-25-2021, 07:14 PM   #1

Turning a negative into a positive

With all the recent and past posts about city water filling the fresh water tank, I started to think about it a bit and then it hit me. The only way to fill my fresh water tank is by the gravity fill that is on the curb side of my trailer just forward of the middle. The fill port is in an awkward spot and is not threaded so without adding some type of spout to the hose, filling the tank requires you to stand there and hold or watch it during the process.

Is there any reason why I couldn't simply install a bypass at my pump with some Pex and a shut off valve that would intentionally fill my fresh water tank from the city water connection? My pump is located right under my kitchen sink and is easy enough to access.

I know I am probably just being lazy but it would be easier to simply turn a valve and fill my tank.

Any thoughts pro or con?

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 07:35 PM   #2

Sounds like a plan to me.. absolutely no reason why it wouldn't work.
Old 04-25-2021, 08:02 PM   #3

Makes sense if you can get to it easily. Mine takes a contortionist to reach. In the rare times I do fill my FW tank, I hook my hose to this Camco tank filler, with this cheap digital meter in between. It stays in the filler opening unattended, gives me a readout on exactly how many gallons have gone in and has a shutoff at the handle.

Let us know if you do the bypass!
Attached Thumbnails
DDA6A054-1A02-4FFC-8ECA-4C879D44868C.jpeg   F8F571A8-CCB7-4EFB-B7EF-625E1AFD8914.jpeg  
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2021, 08:28 PM   #4

If the cap is on the original fill opening, the only place for air to escape from your tank would be the overflow. If the city water pressure and flow are quite high and you don't notice when the tank is full it could result in damage to the tank. Those tanks are not intended to be pressurized.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:05 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Makes sense if you can get to it easily. Mine takes a contortionist to reach. In the rare times I do fill my FW tank, I hook my hose to this Camco tank filler, with this cheap digital meter in between. It stays in the filler opening unattended, gives me a readout on exactly how many gallons have gone in and has a shutoff at the handle.

Let us know if you do the bypass!
This is exactly what I use now. I'm just being lazy but will likely consider the bypass just so I have an option.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:07 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
If the cap is on the original fill opening, the only place for air to escape from your tank would be the overflow. If the city water pressure and flow are quite high and you don't notice when the tank is full it could result in damage to the tank. Those tanks are not intended to be pressurized.
I never thought of that. Good point. I will look deeper into this. Some RV's actually fill this way with a pre installed valve setup. Not sure if their tank setup is any different. Thanks for pointing this out.
Old 04-26-2021, 06:10 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I never thought of that. Good point. I will look deeper into this. Some RV's actually fill this way with a pre installed valve setup. Not sure if their tank setup is any different. Thanks for pointing this out.
The overflow is the only place for air to escape on the rigs with the docking station fill valves too. Just adjust the flow so it isn't filling too fast.

EDIT. Just remembered your overflow is the fill port isn't it?...OOPS.
Old 04-26-2021, 07:17 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
The overflow is the only place for air to escape on the rigs with the docking station fill valves too. Just adjust the flow so it isn't filling too fast.

EDIT. Just remembered your overflow is the fill port isn't it?...OOPS.
I'm thinking if I just open my fill cap I should be fine as far as pressure build up goes...
Old 04-26-2021, 07:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I'm thinking if I just open my fill cap I should be fine as far as pressure build up goes...
Definitely since that's at least a 1" line isn't it?