Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2021, 08:28 PM   #1

UPDATE/FIX: Jay Flight- Multiple Water Leaks When Hot Water Heater On

In spite of everyone disagreeing with me (which is ok), I've always felt all 5 of my water leaks were associated with my hot water heater (yes, there was one more leak). For anyone interested, here is my original post
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...tml#post993343

The water heater stopped working 4 wks. ago on both electric *and* propane in my 6 mo. old 183RB. A week before this, an experienced mechanic friend taught me how to devise a homemade instrument to test the psi inside the water heater. I tested 3 consecutive days. Pic is attached from day 3 showing the highest reading of 135 psi which occurred about 50 min. after turning on the HWH. After it maxed out, the psi went back to normal. The instrument was attached to the 1/2" HWH drain pipe for testing (which normally has a plastic cap on it).

The warranty work was done 3 wks. ago and so far, no more leaks. They had to replace the emergency cut off before troubleshooting; it was fried. Then they allowed the water to heat up to 170° before they shut the HWH off and determined the thermostat needed to be replaced. Also, they replaced the thermal cut off and the relief valve. When done, I was told the water temp now gets up to 158° which I think is high but the service dept. is happy with that. Being that the first leak occurred at 1 mo. new, and all leaks have occurred while the HWH was on, I now conclude it was probably the bad thermostat=>creating ultra hot water=>creating ultra high psi=>creating the leaks. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
Attached Thumbnails
WH PSI Test_2021-1021-4  1 hour.jpg   HWH PSI Test.jpg   HWH Warranty1.JPG   HWH Warranty2.JPG   HWH Warranty3.JPG  

JaycoJeri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 09:58 PM   #2
Site Team

Thanks for the very detailed update of the outcome. There's no way any of us could've surmised all of those issues resulting in a leak. At least long distance on the forum. It does sound like your dealer/repair facility was methodical and thorough in the diagnostics and repairs. That was quite a list of issues leading up to the resulting leaks. We're happy you're back in hot water! (pun intended!)

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2021, 11:20 PM   #3

You're quite welcome JFlightRisk. In my case, things had to continuously get worse before they could get better. Maybe with this post, others won't have to go to that extreme. The Service Mgr. told me ahead of time that if the HWH doesn't work on both electric and propane, that it points to the circuit board. Yes, they were very thorough. And with Winter around the corner, I'm happy to be back in hot water too!
Old 11-27-2021, 06:42 AM   #4

Good service department. I am interested in a three month update filled with good news.
Old 11-27-2021, 09:00 AM   #5

Will do TaftCoach 🤞