Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-21-2021, 08:54 AM   #1

174BH Battery Charger Output

Hi All, new to the neighborhood

I picked up a 2021 174BH in the spring and I love it, however I noticed my battery doesn't seem to last as long as I expected. When I do an voltage measurement at my terminals while on Shore Power, the voltage seems to max out at 13.5 VDC. I expected 14+.

After I tow a long distance, I don't seem to get any charge from my Tow Vehicle, but I know that my voltage is good while connected to the tow vehicle

I checked for shorted cells and liquid level in the battery, that's good, however, I haven't checked Specific Gravity yet

I'm thinking that it's more related to the onboard battery charger than anything

Any ideas?
Dankubala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2021, 09:33 AM   #2

Not sure if this could be the cause but check for corrosion on the battery posts, connections to the wire terminals hooked to the battery. Look at the the fuse/breaker on the front of the trailer where the battery cable connects to the internal wiring. Lots of people find corrosion on that connection.

Have you tried to charge the battery up with a battery charger and then testing it after 24 hours rest?. How old is it? Also, have you taken it to an auto place and had it tested?
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2021, 11:54 AM   #3

Dankuala, 13.5-13.6 is normal when plugged into shore power, unless the battery is way way down, then it will go over 14 for a short time,then back down to 13.5 again. After 2-3 days at 13.5, then it will drop down to 13.2 and stay there unless you put on a very heavy load on the battery, like moving a slide,sometimes not even then. To see if the TV is charging, check the voltage at the hot pin on the trailer cord. I have 2 Chevys and both + wires on the trailer cord are powered up all the time,Fords take an additional fuse and relay to work. I have even heard that some TVs require the engine running and in gear to work. Post what size battery you have, and your TV please. Jay.
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 03:52 AM   #4

Thanks Jay, I have a 2013 Tacoma with additional tow package....I'll double check the hot pin, I know that I need to have the truck running to get power aft. Thanks for the reply concerning the charge voltages, good to know.

To Rogers point, I have charged the battery with a regular charger and it's stable

Thanks All
Dankubala is offline   Reply With Quote