Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-28-2019, 07:05 PM   #21

Yikes! Looks like bug activity to me since there is a hole in the center of each sawdust(?) pile? Have you tried any sticky traps or seen any live bugs in there or around the holes?
DSchmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 07:46 PM   #22

I am in pest control, looks to me like you have an ant/ termite problem
tazz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 08:51 PM   #23

Since iyou have a jayfeather, they use the sandwiched flooring. Wonder if this is an insect and the piles are the flooring construction material.

2003 Coleman Bayside / 2011 Jayco Jayfeather X20E -- RIP
2012 Tacoma Sport DCSB / 2013 Tundra SR5 - RIP
Heady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 08:57 AM   #24

What is this?

I dont know much about boring insects but in the event that it is a fungus I would recommend a dehumidifier. I keep one going inside the camper anytime it's being stored. It will smell much fresher also.
Zuzieq981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:33 AM   #25

That looks like the pictures from posts I’d seen a couple years ago about those wood boring beetles. People were finding the holes and sawdust inside their cabinets and shelves. Seems like there was a bunch of wood infested unknowingly and used in a batch of campers. Those are some pretty big piles compared to the pictures tossed around back then but very similar in nature. My bet is on some type of boring insect.

P.S. just looked it up and it was the “powder post beetle” problem

https://images.app.goo.gl/XQkqQxhsnm6in2M4A
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #26

Since powderpost beetles are in the wood under the vinyl floor you may have to take up the vinyl and treat the floor with borax or they will just keep coming back. You have holes in the flooring anyway. I would consult a insect professional as to how to do it. Since they may have spread to areas you can't find or treat you may have to have your RV tented. In Florida this is a common way to kill wood boring pests called dry woods termites. A sealed up tend is put over the house and poison gas is pumped in. It will penetrate everywhere and kill everything in the house (or RV).

But a really good question I wonder about is were they there when the dealer sold you the unit??. This bad an infestation doesn't happen overnight. Maybe go back to dealers a tour a few other units to see if any of them have it. If they do, you got legal cause to make the dealer take it back and get you a new one.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:03 AM   #27

If those piles have a small hole at the center, they are likely from an ant or a beetle. The debris looks like a combination of the luan, the glue, and the foam which are the materials that comprise the laminate/composite floor that Jayco uses in Jay Feathers. I found this in our Feather when we brought it home. Ours was from where Jayco drilled into our floor under the sink; the debris looked exactly like your pictures. Yours looks like an insect did the drilling.
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 10:51 AM   #28
Site Team

If it is termites, there's a good possibility that you'll find termite tubes somewhere underneath the TT. You might want to check out this thread on the Airstream Forums about termite tubes coming from the bottom of his TT to the floor in his garage.

Termites in my Trailer - Airstream Forums

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 03:38 PM   #29

Howdy,

Been battling the same issue on my 2018 BHBE, even dealer had a exterminator look at it and said was definitely from building materials and not native to my area. Jayco has denied twice now. You have any luck? Thanks
Origjcc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2020, 08:42 PM   #30

The holes are a wood boring insect.
Carpenter ants, termites, powderpost beetles
I would recommend calling a pest control company in your area, they can treat without ripping up your floor. They use a machine that takes a liquid chemical called PRO 110 ULV, turns it to a vapor and uses air to force it throughout the tunnels. The machine is called a micro injector / Actisol machine
They use the existing holes from their tunneling.
I have been in pest control for 19 years and have done this hundreds of times
tazz46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:06 PM   #31

If there are holes you sure have a problem!
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2020, 04:13 PM   #32

One thing I should warn you about is that the insects leaving piles on the floor may not be alone. They might also be in the cabinets or walls. If they are then the frass (aka insect poop) will be hidden in voids you can't see or find to treat.

If you can the best treatment is to "tent" the trailer. Here in Florida and some other regions they come out and put heavy duty tarps over a whole mobile home, house, building or anything else with bugs like these. They then pump in a toxic gas that permeates walls, floors, cabinets, etc. It evaporates over a few days and leaves no residue. This may be the only cure unless you can get it totaled by insurance or dealer. Good luck!
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote