Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-16-2021, 12:20 AM   #1

What in tarnation is this???

I have no idea what this is but it does not look like it is doing good for my new Jayflight SLX, this is in every piece of wood that makes up the shelving, bench seats, dividers inside cupboards and storage under the main bed. I noticed this day one after I purchased it brand new and I had just finished reading a bunch of horror stories about powder post beetles so that's what I thought it was and I called my dealership but when they finally got it in four months later and looked at it they said there were no signs of powder post beetle infestation, it was not this bad though it does appear to have spread and now there's green that was not there before and I have no idea what's going on help!
Attached Thumbnails
Capture 2021-02-16 01.01.54.jpg   Capture 2021-02-16 01.02.10.jpg   Capture 2021-02-16 01.01.10.jpg   Capture 2021-02-16 01.04.34.jpg   Capture 2021-02-16 01.05.12.jpg  

PPC aNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 04:34 AM   #2

A manufacturer will always use up it’s second grade material in inaccessible, unseen areas.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #3

The pictures are useless. No idea where it is or what the extent of the "damage" is.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 07:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
The pictures are useless. No idea where it is or what the extent of the "damage" is.
Well now, please correct me if I'm wrong but unless you are referring to the geographical location of the RV and not the "damage" to which this topic was created then my previous statement that includes the following excerpt:

"this is in every piece of wood that makes up the shelving, bench seats, dividers inside cupboards and storage under the main bed."

Seems to give a pretty good indication of where it is...
Old 02-17-2021, 08:06 AM   #5

I’m with “gypsmjim” on this one & your not warring your mask!
Old 02-17-2021, 08:53 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunce the traveler View Post
i’m with “gypsmjim” on this one & your not warring your mask!
🤣😷👍
Old 02-17-2021, 09:42 AM   #7

What model and year camper do you have?
My camper has much of the woodwork covered in some kind of plastic coating. It looks like its fine finished woodwork but it's really just some kind of covering like contact paper. I knew that when I bought it. As long as it holds up, I don't really care. It's hard to repair damage to the finish since you can't just blend in some stain and varnish. One method of repairing such damage is to sand the local area and apply a wax colored wood filler. Wax isn't a good long term fix. If it gets hot in there, it may melt and run. Does it feel like wax around the damaged spots?

It's hard to tell from your photos but it appears that the finish is lifting.

I'm not sure what you can do with it. Keep looking for other owners who experience the same problem.
RichCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:46 AM   #8

looks like someone installed and stained the B side of a luan panel

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 09:52 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPC aNomad View Post
Well now, please correct me if I'm wrong but unless you are referring to the geographical location of the RV and not the "damage" to which this topic was created then my previous statement that includes the following excerpt:

"this is in every piece of wood that makes up the shelving, bench seats, dividers inside cupboards and storage under the main bed."

Seems to give a pretty good indication of where it is...
The pictures are blurry and dark. It looks like it could be a scratch in a vinyl covering, or a drip of some liquid, or who knows what. The damage is not evident. All we can do is guess.

So, tell us where it is. Is it on top, bottom, side, inside, outside? Did someone slide a brick across it or did a cat scratch it?

Post a good picture and we'll take it from there.
Old 02-17-2021, 10:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffur View Post
A manufacturer will always use up it’s second grade material in inaccessible, unseen areas.
That would be my guess. Just lousy materials to begin with. Unless it is indeed spreading, then it's not a concern.
Old 02-17-2021, 11:04 AM   #11

Quote:
The pictures are blurry and dark. It looks like it could be a scratch in a vinyl covering, or a drip of some liquid, or who knows what. The damage is not evident. All we can do is guess.

So, tell us where it is. Is it on top, bottom, side, inside, outside? Did someone slide a brick across it or did a cat scratch it?

Fair enough, I'll take some more and see what I can do to get them to retain their quality through the uploading.
Old 02-17-2021, 12:03 PM   #12

Quote:
Fair enough, I'll take some more and see what I can do to get them to retain their quality through the uploading.
Key is to take a good picture. Try your camera flash. I often bring in a light source to flood the area with even light.

Some of the pictures look like there is solder balls (tin solder for connection wire or copper pipe). I am sure that is not it, as Jayco does not solder anything.

If "damage" is caused by bugs, I would start off my documenting it. Pending on your comfort level; Call in an exterminator and ask for their advise. Again document, maybe required to get Jayco to pay. Note, Jayco required pre authorization to do any work, if you want to submit for reimbursement. If you just want to try a DIY solution, sprinkle some good old fashion Borax powder around. Borax does not effective on all bugs, including larva, which I suspect this bug issue would be. It can work on larva, by dehydrating them. But it is a cheap easy solution.

Good Luck

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 02:36 PM   #13

If its bugs some sort of bore hole will be detectable. If its green on the surface and the green is spreading its likely mold. What's the humidity level in the trailer? Do you have the roof vents open?
Old 02-17-2021, 04:48 PM   #14

Jayco is using their second grade, left over material in places where the surface quality is not visible - rather than throwing it out. There’s nothing wrong with that.
Jeffur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2021, 05:50 PM   #15

Quote:
Jayco is using their second grade, left over material in places where the surface quality is not visible - rather than throwing it out. There’s nothing wrong with that.
X2
Old 02-17-2021, 06:27 PM   #16

Quote:
As a woodworker I agree. I can only guess but structurally it looks sound. If you are concerned it is insects, and that should be a concern, make a mark at the end points and see if the defect grows.

If you could peel back your stick and bricks you'd be shocked at what's behind the drywall and perfectly acceptable by industry standards.
Old 02-17-2021, 07:15 PM   #17

If it is powder post beetles they will leave a very fine sawdust at low points below the holes. The cure for them or termites is tenting the whole trailer by Orkin or a similar pest control company. Termites have to have access to moisture to survive, powder post beetles less so. Both can do extreme damage but can be controlled. That said, from the photos, I can't say that it is either. If there is no sawdust in the immediate area then it may well be something else.
CTGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:12 PM   #18

The last picture looks like a staple. The one above it some of the marks look like brads shot from a pneumatic nailer. Others look like poor wood quality and scratches.
chunker21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:15 PM   #19

Quote:

They are crystal clear on my computer and they are not dark
Bill Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2021, 01:20 PM   #20

Quote:
I have no idea what this is but it does not look like it is doing good for my new Jayflight SLX, this is in every piece of wood that makes up the shelving, bench seats, dividers inside cupboards and storage under the main bed. I noticed this day one after I purchased it brand new and I had just finished reading a bunch of horror stories about powder post beetles so that's what I thought it was and I called my dealership but when they finally got it in four months later and looked at it they said there were no signs of powder post beetle infestation, it was not this bad though it does appear to have spread and now there's green that was not there before and I have no idea what's going on help!
We had powder post beetle infestation on our 2018 travel trailer (Winnebago). The tell-tale sign of having that is you will see lots of very fine, off-white, powder on all wood that is affected. Looks almost like flour, only not as white. When the beetles are active, you will also see hundreds of little pin holes in the panels of luan. Hundreds—along with little teepee’s of the fine powder. This is beetle activity and they push the chewed up wood out of the holes. If you can get to and look at the underside, you will also see the tunnels they are making as they go. We began seeing this just a few weeks after we brought the camper home. Took forever to convince Winnebago and our dealer that it was powder post beetles. But when they saw lots of my pics, both our dealer and Winnebago did the right thing. Replaced several pieces of luan that was infested and checked the rest for beetles. Hope this helps—but unless you see power, you most likely do not have powderpost beetles.