Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-21-2019, 03:43 PM   #41

Blue Streak

Been using this for years. https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Streak-C.../dp/B00O7YN1SS
PipeFighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 06:26 PM   #42

Not sure why you add Borax, but I just use the Dawn and Calgon and works fine.
Old 08-21-2019, 07:01 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudyB View Post
Not sure why you add Borax, but I just use the Dawn and Calgon and works fine.
The Borax makes the soap work better. It also helps break up waste and paper.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Bayoutalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 07:24 PM   #44

We use Happy Camper. We haven't had any problems with it. It works real well as far as I can tell. One treatment with an extra gallon of water seems to help keep the sensors clean as well.
B&W Companion 5th Wheel

Centerville,TN
backpack1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2019, 08:33 AM   #45

We use Happy Camper also. Buy it online from Amazon.
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 04:20 AM   #46

We are f/t and all we use is a scoop of powdered laundry detergent and plenty of water. The detergent just keeps solids from sticking to sides of tank and helps keep seals clean and pliable. I’ve tried pretty much every combination out there and this seems to give us best results. Calgon works too but it’s hard to find sometimes. I will point out that if you’re having odors you might consider upgrading your black tank vent to the 360 vent. The vent has a lot more to do with odor control than people realize. Upgrading a vent for 25 bucks is much cheaper in the long run than chemicals that mask odors.
Wandering Woodchuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 10:46 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismoore701 View Post
Went to cabelas this past weekend. I usually get the TST treatment, but noticed the CampaChem. What do you guys use out there. Seems like the TST is a treatment where the CampaChem is more of a deodorant. Are they essentially the same thing?
I’ve logged over 180 nights and 20k miles camping in the past 1 1/2 years. So I have to respectfully disagree (from my experiences) with those that had trouble with happy camper.. I’ve used it for over 3 years and never had a problem..nor a smell. Let black tank get to at least 2/3 full before emptying..even if that is 3 weeks at one site..

I spent last May in NM with at or over 100 degrees camping and happy camper never ever even gave a hint of any thing down there. Plus it helps emulsify the TP and solids over the time in between dumps. Doesn’t “ cover up” it seems to eliminate! No I don’t have a sales link..I search amazon for best deal on larger quantity. I got the 64 treatment (small maybe 1gal pail) and that lasted for over 2 years even giving some away to others we met along the road ...so to speak.

As for mixing it..1 scoop form40 or 50 gal black tank(or higher). 1 scoop in a gallon of water (either fill toilet to bottom of flusher..add the scoop and then stir with your toilet brush and flush into empty black tank..then add 2 more gallons of fresh water.. i.e. — fill to bottom of flusher twice and flush. Or I use a 1 gallon empty water jug from coffee making or cpap..add the scoop to it.fill and shake and empty into toilet then 2 more jugs from the faucet. So even when stored for months it’s still working and protecting you for your next trip..plus keeps the black and gray tank seals lubricated, and odor free. While it’s helpful on sensors..it’s not the best at maintaining sensor readings. There are supposedly better specialized products at that..but for keeping your black tank in fresh condition..it’s the best I’d recommend.

Ok my 2 cents worth. I just ordered my 2nd 64 treatment container..yes at full amazon shopping price.

Bill & Sherry Spratt
937-830-1980
William_Tell46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:01 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_Tell46 View Post
Ok my 2 cents worth. I just ordered my 2nd 64 treatment container..yes at full amazon shopping price.
Full price?
Weimaraner Duke
MichaelO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2019, 01:59 PM   #49

Yes, I get no affiate or discounts just a pleased user

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
Full price?
I shop thru amazon and google shop for it.. I buy the 64 treatment (about 1gal pail) it’s like laundry powder.

I have no affiliations with amazon or Happy Camper..etc. I’m just like most of us here providing my experience in hopefully helping others..as so many have done for me over the past few years.

This is not gospel..but (I think) happy camper is not a cover up or masking agent.. it’s a break it down and eliminate the odor too kind of thing..

I’m not entirely sure.Just know it’s worked for us over and over.. That’s not knocking any other product..just giving this one a HUGE thumbs up!

Bill & Sherry Spratt
937-830-1980
Old 08-23-2019, 02:06 PM   #50

Amazon link I used for 1 of the purchases $44 for 64 treatments

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelO View Post
Full price?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Bill & Sherry Spratt
937-830-1980
Old 08-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #51

BTW using Happy Camper we can use Costco Kirkland 2ply TP instead of the thin RV stuff. Go to that Amazon thread I showed and look at the over 757 4.7 star reviews! And when you read those from Marine boat users..pay special attention as some of them can’t dump for a week(s) on time.

Again not knocking anything else..just saying this stuff works..and at $44 for 64 treatments. With an almost unrestricted shelf life.. just saying..

Got to get back to work.. Be blessed in your travels. May the Lord let you have lots of adventures..and fewer mis-adventures.

Bill & Sherry Spratt
937-830-1980
Old 08-05-2020, 06:24 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I've tried most of the ones mentioned with so-so results. In the Southeast Texas heat the smell was hard to control. I live in my rv with my wife and we dump our black tank once a week. By the end of the week it was starting to smell pretty bad.

That is until another camper told me what he used. It was the same as a couple of others above said: Borax, Calgon and Dawn. I use the cap for the Calgon as a measure and put 1 each of the Calgon and Dawn and 2 of the Borax. Since then I've had no smell by the time I flushed the tank. It has a couple of other advantages. First it is cheaper to use than the other stuff. Second it is easy to find, just go to the laundry section in any grocery store.
If you like spending money, Happy Camper seems to be the thing but if you prefer saving money then this works very well and it can be found at most grocery stores. Most of us already have a bottle of Dawn in the camper anyway.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 08-12-2020, 11:41 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayoutalker View Post
I've tried most of the ones mentioned with so-so results. In the Southeast Texas heat the smell was hard to control. I live in my rv with my wife and we dump our black tank once a week. By the end of the week it was starting to smell pretty bad.

That is until another camper told me what he used. It was the same as a couple of others above said: Borax, Calgon and Dawn. I use the cap for the Calgon as a measure and put 1 each of the Calgon and Dawn and 2 of the Borax. Since then I've had no smell by the time I flushed the tank. It has a couple of other advantages. First it is cheaper to use than the other stuff. Second it is easy to find, just go to the laundry section in any grocery store.
How big is your tank? And can you convert that into approximate teaspoons or tablespoons so that I can use the recipe if I happen to not get the same retail containers as you?
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 05:53 AM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
How big is your tank? And can you convert that into approximate teaspoons or tablespoons so that I can use the recipe if I happen to not get the same retail containers as you?
The tank is 39 gallons. I have never measured the recipe other than using the cap of the Calgon bottle. I've only ever seen one size bottle of that, 32 oz. It doesn't hurt to add just a bit more of the Borax but it's normally not needed. We always have the large bottle of Dawn around. That works for 2 of us for a week even in the South Texas heat.Click image for larger version

Name:	be3cc393-02b4-4d14-87f4-31ad973d6baa_1.4cedcbd89423efeb9aa420cddb5f5e1b.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	62396Click image for larger version

Name:	81r%2BjsX5f3L._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	62397

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 08-13-2020, 08:30 PM   #55

We use aqua chem easy to find its blue . Put a few gallons of water in the holding tank add a dose dont measure just eyeball to feel good in a bowl full of water and send it on is way. No problems so far. Key is use alot of water when flushing if you have hookups. Just a simple thing to do .Too many theories. Have fun camping
deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 06:02 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by deano View Post
We use aqua chem easy to find its blue . Put a few gallons of water in the holding tank add a dose dont measure just eyeball to feel good in a bowl full of water and send it on is way. No problems so far. Key is use alot of water when flushing if you have hookups. Just a simple thing to do .Too many theories. Have fun camping
I used Aqua Chem for a while but in the south Texas heat I still got a very bad smell from my tank after a couple days. I switched to the mix above and now a week is no problem.

Jayflight 34RSBS
Old 08-14-2020, 08:15 AM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob K View Post
Bob,
The Calgon cap is 2ozs, so 4ozs Borax, 2 Dawn, 2 Calgon
Wineguard G3 portable sat system & H24 receiver
2013 Harley Triglide
2 Yorkies
cbeers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:59 AM   #58

Another vote for Happy Camper... but only if you use it correctly. Black tank = potential problems. First is solid waste buildup and excess paper buildup. Second is waste sticking to the tank walls giving false readings. The solution is to never leave the tanks empty. Always drain and flush, and add back 4 or 5 gallons of water and some kind of softening agent. For me, even in the Texas heat, Happy Camper works very well. It softens the water and makes the plastic tank surfaces very slick so stuff doesn't stick. And the sloshing action on your trip home breaks up any leftover solids and paper. While in storage this will settle on the tank bottom, but on the next trip to your destination it seems to get broken up again... even if it's just a few miles. I started doing this 11 years, and 3 campers ago, and my sensors always read correctly. My last outing was a 16-day trip to Indiana, and the black tank was the most full it's ever been. But it dumped perfectly and got flushed and treated as always. I'm not sure it matters which treatment you use. The main treatment is to religiously use plenty of water and to always add some back once the tank is empty. Water isn't called the universal solvent for no reason... Enjoy!
Old 03-28-2021, 06:22 AM   #59

Black Tank Cleaner

Just returned from a camp trip, and this was the first time I had used Happy Camper Tank Treatment. Put it in about 3 months ago and trailer has been in storage. When I got to the park, I emptied the black tank in 5 gallon buckets and the contents came out in large white chunks, floating on top of the water. We never put toilet paper or poop in the tank. When I put it in, I made sure it was dissolved in water. Has anybody else experienced this? Thanks.
Old 03-28-2021, 08:36 AM   #60

We have been using Happy camper for 3 yrs have never had a problem with it. Ofcourse full timing it never sits for more then a week to 10 days. It will be interesting to see what others think
Poppyof5 is offline   Reply With Quote