Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-02-2018, 11:20 AM   #21

Wow. That is messed up and inexcusable by Jayco and or the stealer. Looks about the size of my tv antenna mount.
Kozmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 11:59 AM   #22

Yeah this TT didn't have a ladder so I wasn't able to check the roof before the purchase but as some of you have said it should have been caught regardless. Hopefully my camo duct tape will work for the next couple weekends.
thatdamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:05 PM   #23

My money is on a radio antenna that knocked off by a tree limb or low overpass. I find it hard to believe anyone would risk stealing a cheap radio antenna. It would be a lot easier to hoist one at a big box store. Chances are it happened during delivery to the dealer. Some of those guys are pretty careless.
bigironcoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:06 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatdamguy View Post
Yeah this TT didn't have a ladder so I wasn't able to check the roof before the purchase but as some of you have said it should have been caught regardless. Hopefully my camo duct tape will work for the next couple weekends.
That is why I carry a roll of eaternabond. Never know when it may come in handy.

Good Luck..

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:10 PM   #25

Not a TV antenna. The wire end is more like a radio antenna. Besides a tv antenna would be a much larger hole with a plate. And not as close to the edge of the roof. Possible it came off during transport between Jayco and dealer. Dealer should have caught it, the OP may or may not have if he tried using the radio. A strand of wire can be used as an FM antenna.

Odds are 50% the transport company is responsible for whacking the antenna during a gas stop. But the photo isn't clear if there are any screw holes in the roof.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 01:29 PM   #26

Update: Def radio anntena made an appointment with the dealer to have them inspect and repair. Here are a couple more photos, damage seems minimal fingers crossed.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180502_114708.jpeg
Views:	72
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	39249Click image for larger version

Name:	20180502_114754.jpeg
Views:	77
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	39250Click image for larger version

Name:	20180502_114720.jpeg
Views:	62
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	39251
thatdamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 02:25 PM   #27

That darker color of the plywood sure looks like water. You need to contact Jayco and get them involved. There is probably much more water damage than visible in those photos.
ifallsguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 01:16 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifallsguy View Post
That darker color of the plywood sure looks like water. You need to contact Jayco and get them involved. There is probably much more water damage than visible in those photos.

I wonder if Jayco will even cover it. This could have happened after delivery.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #29
BCK

I wouldn't be thrilled with a find like that! It looks like the antenna came off while the sealant was still wet.
BCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2018, 03:18 PM   #30

I'm not sure about the OP's model, but the radio antenna on my 195rb is on the passenger side - the side that sometimes hits brush and tree limbs on narrow roads. I've been caught a few times where I couldn't pull to the center of the road due to an oncoming car or truck.
Old 05-07-2018, 08:02 PM   #31
jfg

We also have a 22BHM. If the hole is centred on the roof, it’s your tv antenna. If it’s off to the side opposite the door, it’s your radio antenna.

Quote:
Bought a new Jayco 22BHM in February and the weather is finally nice enough to take it out for its maiden voyage and I decided check my roof and found this hole with a coax cable in it and nothing to keep the weather out. I haven't noticed any leaks but will look closer tomorrow after work. Does anyone know what would have been in this spot? I am not very happy to have found this on my brand new TT but it looks to not be a major issue yet. The wood around the hole doesn't feel or look rotten so fingers crossed it didn't get too much moisture in. Will be contacting the dealer to have them fix it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
jfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:38 AM   #32

That's where the radio antenna was. It also doesn't look like it was torn off.
If it had been, the end wires would look torn. Also, if it's like mine, it had a spring base like a whip antenna which allows it to bend when brushing against something overhead.

Don't know why someone would steal something that cheap, but it sure looks like it was stolen rather than torn off when it hit something. Nothing could scrape off the base without damaging the roof membrane also, along with the AC shroud that's near by.

Quote:
Bought a new Jayco 22BHM in February and the weather is finally nice enough to take it out for its maiden voyage and I decided check my roof and found this hole with a coax cable in it and nothing to keep the weather out. I haven't noticed any leaks but will look closer tomorrow after work. Does anyone know what would have been in this spot? I am not very happy to have found this on my brand new TT but it looks to not be a major issue yet. The wood around the hole doesn't feel or look rotten so fingers crossed it didn't get too much moisture in. Will be contacting the dealer to have them fix it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 05:50 AM   #33

It almost looks like it was only mounted to the roof with dicor and the wires were not connected. The antenna probably hit a low hanging branch and fell off. The trailing dicor would support that theory. A thief wouldn't drag the antenna toward the front or rear of the TT, he'd yank it toward him and the side of the TT.

Not sure why someone would steal a radio antenna anyway. If they did, I doubt they would take the time to remove the connector, they would probably just cut the wire.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 06:00 AM   #34

Your theory is quite possible, maybe probable. Doesn't make sense to just steal such a cheap device. I did notice no apparent screw holes to hold the base down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael.g View Post
It almost looks like it was only mounted to the roof with dicor and the wires were not connected. The antenna probably hit a low hanging branch and fell off. The trailing dicor would support that theory. A thief wouldn't drag the antenna toward the front or rear of the TT, he'd yank it toward him and the side of the TT.

Not sure why someone would steal a radio antenna anyway. If they did, I doubt they would take the time to remove the connector, they would probably just cut the wire.

-Michael

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2018, 02:22 PM   #35

I was on my roof today finishing up some work on my vent covers. While up there, I decided to angle my radio antenna down, since it's on the curb side of the trailer where it can get hit by tree limbs. It feels like it has a round flange maybe 2 1/2" in diameter that might have 2 or 3 wood screws into the 3/8" osb roof. The dicor is no doubt stronger than the screws, if there are any.

Old 05-08-2018, 10:06 PM   #36

Agree, antenna
Old 05-09-2018, 04:48 AM   #37
Site Team

My roof radio antenna is toward the back and by a ladder. It used to wrap itself around the ladder and I tilted it backward slightly to stop it. It has been wacked by many a branch and never has come loose.

I recently dug around in the caulk to see if there were tight screws and did find some before re-caulking with a self leveling caulk.

Looks like if it was hit hard enough to knock it off, the roof would have more damage.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote