Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Trailers, 5th Wheels, and Motorhomes > Jayco Travel Trailers
Click Here to Login

Old 03-13-2024, 02:07 PM   #1

Question Will a single axle 195RB balance on jack stands for tire replacement?

We're a just retired couple who got a good deal on a very gently used 2017 Jayflight 195RB.

The tires LOOK to be in great shape, but are 7 years old and I don't want to risk issues on the road.

I'm not sure where the balance and weight would be, so my question is:

Would this camper be able to safely sit on jackstands so that I could have all three tires replaced at the same time?

Thanks for any help with this!
JamesDaltry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 03:12 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamesDaltry View Post
We're a just retired couple who got a good deal on a very gently used 2017 Jayflight 195RB.

The tires LOOK to be in great shape, but are 7 years old and I don't want to risk issues on the road.

I'm not sure where the balance and weight would be, so my question is:

Would this camper be able to safely sit on jackstands so that I could have all three tires replaced at the same time?

Thanks for any help with this!
First my trailer is on a flat/level concrete slab. I hook the truck to the trailer ( set the park brake on the truck ) and use a floor jack to raise one side of the trailer at a time. I place the jack stands on the outer edge of the axel. Then I pull the wheels. My trailer is very stable. While you have the wheels off it would be a good time to check wheel bearings and brakes. Welcome to the forum from Northern California!
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:17 PM   #3

I would put the tongue jack and all the stabilizers down. That way, if a jack stand failed you might break a stabilizer or even the frame but not yourself.
On the other hand, I took my trailer in and they didn't charge extra to pull the wheels and mount the tires. The only thing I did was torque the nuts down when I got home.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 06:32 PM   #4

Happy/Wife/Happy Life: "I place the jack stands on the outer edge of the axel"

Do you place them on the axle or the frame?
Old 03-13-2024, 06:45 PM   #5

We've changed a tire on the road and used a jack against the frame
My question is 3 tires? The 195 has 2

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 07:11 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post

I kinda wondered about that too! :-)
Old 03-13-2024, 07:28 PM   #7

3 tires...3 wheels...2 under the TT...and 1 is the spare... 3 seven year old tires. Probably time to replace all three.
ranchosinvacas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2024, 09:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velz View Post
Happy/Wife/Happy Life: "I place the jack stands on the outer edge of the axel"

Do you place them on the axle or the frame?
On the axle.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0613.jpg  
1984 gmc k1500 4x4 s/w/b. s/b 350,700r4,373 diff,.restored and upgraded( retired - sold). 2022 Chevy Z-71 Trail Boss 4x4 crew cab s/w/b 6.2 gas a/t. 2018 hummingbird Baja 16mrb,Yamaha ef2400ishc inverter.
Happy wife / happy life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2024, 07:06 AM   #9

Smile

Quote:
Yes, the two on the axle and the spare. We're getting it ready for a cross-country trip and don't want to "hope for the best" with a 7 year old spare.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:09 AM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy wife / happy life View Post
First my trailer is on a flat/level concrete slab. I hook the truck to the trailer ( set the park brake on the truck ) and use a floor jack to raise one side of the trailer at a time. I place the jack stands on the outer edge of the axel. Then I pull the wheels. My trailer is very stable. While you have the wheels off it would be a good time to check wheel bearings and brakes. Welcome to the forum from Northern California!
Thank you! I've never changed all the tires on a camper at a single time (or at all, to be honest) and never thought about hooking it to the tow vehicle to secure that end.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:11 AM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
I would put the tongue jack and all the stabilizers down. That way, if a jack stand failed you might break a stabilizer or even the frame but not yourself.
On the other hand, I took my trailer in and they didn't charge extra to pull the wheels and mount the tires. The only thing I did was torque the nuts down when I got home.
Thanks! I wasn't even going to bother asking them about doing the job, so now I will and see how that goes.
Old 03-15-2024, 07:13 AM   #12

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchosinvacas View Post
3 tires...3 wheels...2 under the TT...and 1 is the spare... 3 seven year old tires. Probably time to replace all three.
Yes, this is exactly the situation!
Old 03-15-2024, 07:20 AM   #13

We had a 195 and it went cross country twice east to west and back and north to south and back five times. Put over 100,000 miles on it.

LOL that third tire you can change anywhere without worrying about support

We had a blowout on the Yellowhead Highway in Alberta and had to change tires with a jack and the unit was still hitched. Then we camped in Jasper and yes had to take the blown out tire to Hinton for replacement We wanted to replace two tires but did not trust the jackstands not to collapse and we had made front stabilizers too so there were four supports.

As an aside I don't care much for Harbor Freight but we did eventually buy a bottle jack from them just in case the flimsy crank jack failed. ( on our subsequent unit it did)

good move on replacing all seven year old tires. Getting out of a jam out West involves a lot more distance than in Connecticut.

Its a great little unit for exploring the less accessible places like Chaco Canyon and Top of the World Highway in Alaska ( unpaved roads)

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-16-2024, 11:27 AM   #14

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post

I asked and sure enough, our local garage said 'absolutely, we'll take care of it for you!'

So, thank you again for mentioning it, I would have assumed they wouldn't do it and not asked them.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:45 AM   #15

Thumbs up

Quote:
LOL that third tire you can change anywhere without worrying about support

LOL, I never suggested that the spare tire was of any concern in this situation... but, now NONE of them are because my local garage has no problem doing them.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:50 AM   #16

Its still a good idea to change one yourself so you know you can do it in the case ( or when) you have a flat when traveling. Not all areas have roadside assistance with reasonable wait times .

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 03-17-2024, 09:42 AM   #17

While I have my neighborhood tire shop service the bearings and they replaced the tires when needed I have had to do a change by the road. I use a Harbor Freight bottle jack and for a lug wrench a 3/4 deep socket and a right angle handle. A five foot 1/2 inch pipe nipple simplifies torque.
Jim Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2024, 11:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Davis View Post
While I have my neighborhood tire shop service the bearings and they replaced the tires when needed I have had to do a change by the road. I use a Harbor Freight bottle jack and for a lug wrench a 3/4 deep socket and a right angle handle. A five foot 1/2 inch pipe nipple simplifies torque.
+1
Old 03-20-2024, 01:03 PM   #19

Welcome to the forum; you've come to a great place with a wealth of experience, knowledge, and advice - you just need to sort it out, but the members here are great.

I've never had to remove a tire, but did a practice once just to see how it went. Chocked other side tire well, built some cribbing with 2X4s, mounted a bottle jack on it under the outside frame just aft of the tire. It jacked up well, securely, and was easy to access without having to worry about axel damage. Don't use or rely on stabilizer jacks for anything other than stabilization.

Changing those old tires will save you a lot of grief; good move! I stick with GY Endurance and get new out every 3-4 years at 8,000-10,000 miles per year.

Keep a good heavy bottle jack in your TV; they come in handy. Best wishes for good travels, great memories, and trouble-free tires.
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 01:44 PM   #20

Stabilizer Jacks

First of all, Stabilizer Jacks are not designed to hold the weight of the trailer, that is a job for Leveling Jacks. You could damage the Jacks and or the Frame of the trailer. Just use a Bottle Jack or Floor Jack to raise one side and then the other. Make sure you put said jack as far to the outside of the axle as to not bend the axle which is very easily done if too close to center. This is IMHO.
djrainer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jackstands, tire change