Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #1

Bike Rack Question

Hello!
I've been combing the forums for guidance and no dice. I know that many people install cross bars and a bike rack on the roof of their PUPs. My 2000 Qwest 8U is fantastic thus far, just don't want to install a roof rack on it. I'm curious to know if it would be possible to install a small class I/II receiver tube on the rear? I have a 1.25" tube four-bike Thule rack for my cars and would like to use it instead of adding more possible leaks to my trailer.
KeizerTrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 11:18 AM   #2

I took my pop up to a hitch shop and they welded a 4x4 cross bar to the frame and the added a receiver hitch. The bumpers aren't strong enough to handle the bouncing the bike rack does on the back of a trailer.

Be aware this adds a good amount of weight to the back which unloads your hitch weight. Tent trailers are like teeter totters that way. You'd have to beef up your hitch weight somehow to compensate for the weight you are adding in the back.
distracto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:45 AM   #3

Yeah, I figured just getting one built and welded to the frame would be easiest. I was planning on doing a couple test loads and taking it down the express way we have that runs through town that lets me get to 55 and not have to worry about anything should my test load plans not work.

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
Old 08-31-2020, 09:53 AM   #4

One thing to note, PUs tend to bounce a lot, and bike racks are prone to Damage on bounce trailers. Recommend keeping an eye on the rack condition.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:06 PM   #5

I would not put a hitch on the back of a popup as it would take too much weight off the tongue and make it harder to tow. I had a huge popup and if I forgot to put the back jacks down when working inside it, I could (and did) tip it when walking too far back. The popup weighed 3k and I was about 200 ibs. If I could do that from inside the unit, imagine what a rack hanging off the back will do while towing. Sounds pretty dangerous to me.

Check out this thread:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...-hw-78884.html

Do you have the rails he mentioned? I had them on my popup an put my bikes up there. No drilling required.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:30 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by distracto View Post
Be aware this adds a good amount of weight to the back which unloads your hitch weight. Tent trailers are like teeter totters that way. You'd have to beef up your hitch weight somehow to compensate for the weight you are adding in the back.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I would not put a hitch on the back of a popup as it would take too much weight off the tongue and make it harder to tow.
Good point, Scott. I added a second propane tank (topped them up on the way to and from the camp site), added 2 6V batteries, and always loaded my heaviest items in the front of the axle. I also would sometimes include a full 5 gallon jug of water in the front of the PUP on the hitch side of the axle if I had room or if we packed light for that specific trip.

You really need to keep that hitch weight!
Old 09-01-2020, 12:05 PM   #7

Have you considered a tongue rack? I'm not sure how it would work for a 4 place rack but it's worth looking into.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-80503...XE8QNBPPB1FSM9
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 01:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBrown View Post
Have you considered a tongue rack? I'm not sure how it would work for a 4 place rack but it's worth looking into.

https://www.amazon.com/Swagman-80503...XE8QNBPPB1FSM9
I've seen many with this one. The back tires just rest on the roof. The rack mounts to the tongue. The only drawback is you need to remove the front wheel. I would imagine it is pretty solidly connected to the rack that way though.

https://www.prorac.com/tenttrailerpro.php

Old 09-01-2020, 01:43 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott View Post
I've seen many with this one. The back tires just rest on the roof. The rack mounts to the tongue. The only drawback is you need to remove the front wheel. I would imagine it is pretty solidly connected to the rack that way though.

https://www.prorac.com/tenttrailerpro.php
That's pretty neat. It would work well with quick release wheels. Trouble is not all bike have quick release wheels.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 02:59 PM   #10

I use this one. Not sure if it’s something that would work for you
Only downside for me is I have to be careful not to turn too sharp or my bike tire touches the tail gate but that would only be on an extreme backing up turn angle
Attached Thumbnails
36661631-A3BF-4661-A9DF-71496B76DE68.jpg  
parallax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 02:23 PM   #11

I have looked at those options! They look great, but I'm trying to help keep the tongue weight down as I have a propane tank and 27M battery. I am definitely aware it will cause some odd handling characteristics if the load isn't correct. My plan was to have the rear rack for three or four bikes and then load the coolers and chow as far forward in the box as possible, then load toward the rear with gear, should balance fine. Typically take two coolers(one food, one drink).

“People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf.”
Old 09-03-2020, 03:01 PM   #12

Tongue bike rack

How about this type of bike rack? Click image for larger version

Name:	Tongue bike rack.png
Views:	7
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	63185 Obviously not to good on uploading links yet, sorry.

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...SABEgJ44_D_BwE
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 03:06 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeizerTrailer View Post
I have looked at those options! They look great, but I'm trying to help keep the tongue weight down as I have a propane tank and 27M battery. I am definitely aware it will cause some odd handling characteristics if the load isn't correct. My plan was to have the rear rack for three or four bikes and then load the coolers and chow as far forward in the box as possible, then load toward the rear with gear, should balance fine. Typically take two coolers(one food, one drink).
Sounds like you already made up your mind before you ever asked the question. Good luck to you. I wouldn't do it.

Old 09-03-2020, 03:54 PM   #14

Depending what your TV is, what about just putting a roof rack on the cab of the truck or the roof of the car? Or a double receiver hitch yes you have the payload capacity...

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-h...der-69881.html
Old 09-03-2020, 04:06 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado View Post
Depending what your TV is, what about just putting a roof rack on the cab of the truck or the roof of the car? Or a double receiver hitch yes you have the payload capacity...

https://www.harborfreight.com/dual-h...der-69881.html
I wish! My Subaru has a max of 2k pounds, so I'm limited there, which is why I'm hoping a rear mount on the trailer could work. My Volvo on the other hand could do it as it's capable of 3.3k pounds. My Qwest 8U is basically 1.1k pounds, with what I'm assuming is 80lb hitch weight dry (haven't got it on a scale yet).
Old 09-04-2020, 12:09 AM   #16

This was my old set up. As I mentioned, I heavily loaded the front of the box to offset the weight at the back. I also never drove over 90km/hr as those bikes acted like a sail if I went any faster!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170713_171024_195.jpg  
Old 09-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #17

You might want to watch these videos before considering adding the weight to the rear of your trailer.

Old 09-09-2020, 12:56 PM   #18

Front rack?

Have you ever considered putting a receiver on the front of your tv? I don't have a pup anymore but with my new trailer I installed a front receiver hitch on the front and carry all 4 bikes on it. I like it better up front because I can keep an eye on the bikes during the trip to make sure they are not bouncing or coming loose.
Helibassplyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:17 PM   #19
SUP

Etrailer has a rack for the trailer tongue .
Attached Thumbnails
20180811_153805.jpg  
SUP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2020, 07:54 AM   #20

I just posted up my hitch solution. Hope this helps https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...8-a-80906.html
bhom920 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hitch mount bike rack, pop up