Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-16-2018, 07:46 AM   #1

cable issues

I have a 2006 1206 Jayco. The front right corner of the top starts moving before the others so I am assuming that the cable to that corner needs to be adjusted out a bit..Any one know if that's possible and if so where is the spot to access the cable and it's adjustment. It moves 3 or 4" before any of the other corners start to lift.
RBGERSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 09:03 AM   #2

It should be underneath.
Old 06-16-2018, 10:43 AM   #3

If your winding mechanism is at the rear curbside corner on the '06, then the adjusters should be in the wall space in front of the rear bunk. Looked at a couple of pictures for your year, and they would be running behind the power panel. You might be able to confirm just by pulling the panel out and looking behind with a good light.

Basing this on our '08, but I a pretty sure that the mechanism was similar in '06. The exposed cables beneath the trailer are generally on much earlier models.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2018, 11:02 AM   #4

Why do they ruin a tried and true set-up? Would Lloyd approve?..
Old 06-16-2018, 06:01 PM   #5

Thanks will take a look..my crank is rear curb side.
Old 06-17-2018, 11:52 AM   #6

My crank is at teh rear on the right side as you face the rear of the camper. Same side as teh door is on?? but I don't see an electrical panel at the front of the queen bed inside just a small storage box between the slide-out dinette and the queen bed.

this is my unit's layout can anyone point me to teh spot to look for those cable adjusters???
Attached Thumbnails
2014-jay-series-1206.jpg  
Old 06-17-2018, 04:15 PM   #7

I figured it out..just a FYI on my 2006 1206 one can get to the cables by just removing the "box" between the bench seat and sink cabinet. With the top 3/4 of the way up one can get to the cables but really can't work on them due to the tension..but if you lower the top and crawl in and open the door under the sink it's tight but you can work on the cables.

What I found on mine was that one cable had wrapped itself around main plate making it a few inches shorter and that's why the one corner lifted before the others. I surmise that someone had over released the cables when putting the top down which allowed the cable to wrap itself around the pull plate. Note it also bend one of the eye bolts probably got caught on it when the top was down and then when lifted it just bent it and then got caught on the pull plate.
Old 06-17-2018, 04:35 PM   #8

Excellent work!

The picture I pulled up on google showed the electrical panel in that same box, but these things do move around from year to year. Sorry to confuse.

One tip to prevent this from happening again. After you lower the roof, latch it down, then wind the crank back up a couple of clicks until you feel a little resistance. This keeps the cables under tension when bouncing down the road and can prevent them from jumping a guide or wrapping around something as happened in yours.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 03:55 AM   #9

Good tip!!
Old 06-20-2018, 05:09 AM   #10

Can you post a pic of the exposed area where you accessed your cables, Id like to do the same on mine. although mine is a 2002 Heritage and will slightly differ , but Im just curious. is it too late? Mine has a "pop" sound as the 3rd stage riser starts to go up, the crank free spins about a 1/4 turn(or less)..Im wondering why.. but the roof always fully raises..its a little nerve racking every time we set up camp though..
campkcco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 05:58 AM   #11

already back together sorry..if you remove the bench seat board you shoudl have access to the winch at least I was able to see it when I took my bench seat board out. As to the cables the cover box that is just forward of the rear bed that hides the cables as they come off the winch with teh box off it's right there.
Old 06-20-2018, 08:03 AM   #12

Well, I've quickly looked at it, but not closely. If I look under the bench seat, (take out the drawer that's there) it would "appear" that the box cover goes the full width of the camper. 6 feet or so, so its my assumption that if I ever HAD to access the cables, Id be de- constructing the interior of my camper.. My Winch would be located in the rear RH corner, and it is not visible from anywhere I can easily see (appears completely Boxed in) so that's why I was asking for a pic.. thanks anyway..hopefully Ill never have to find out.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:23 PM   #13

But if you take the support board out of the seat you can see the winch and the cables at least on mine.
Old 06-20-2018, 07:34 PM   #14

I am currently working on my cables. I’m replacing the eye bolts with 5/16 instead of 1/4.
hollatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 08:26 AM   #15

Ill have to look at it closer, It didn't look like it was that easy , but hoe you're right..thx
Old 06-21-2018, 08:30 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by campkcco View Post
Ill have to look at it closer, It didn't look like it was that easy , but hoe you're right..thx

It’s not bad to get to. If you have any questions I can help cause I’m replacing mine right now.
hollatip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2018, 09:38 AM   #17

thanks, Ill set it up this weekend and take a closer look ..thanks again