Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-17-2021, 10:24 AM   #1

Half door seal rebuild Jay Series 1007

We recently bought a 2005 Jayco Jay Series 1007 from an individual. It was set-up when we went to look at it...apparently had been set-up for awhile and it had rained quite a bit. Good news...no moisture/leaks in the camper. everything checked out. Bad news...I get him home and notice the "L" seal on top of the travel half door is brittle and pretty much gone. Went to remove it and the door pretty much starts to pull away from the camper...the door is completely rotten. My theory is that water poured on top of the door while it was open and ended up seeping into the door.
- I found this video as starting point to rebuild the door:

But, I used a good 3/4" piece of plywood instead of a hollow frame...I couldn't find a good piece of treated plywood, so I cut it to dimensions (including pocket for latch) and primed it and painted it. Then glued the metal skin to it and reassembled the trim with caulk.
- I looked at replacement "L" seals...$17 for a short section
- I felt like it was expensive and it didn't solve the issue of water being able to sit on top of the door. So, I got some white "bulb" seal for $16 for like 18 feet [URL="https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YWQWVK2/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1"]
I used an adhesive in addition to the self-adhesive to mount it to the top of the door and then I caulked on both sides of it to keep water from pooling on the door...I used silicone caulk, but I have since realized that maybe I should've used dicor. I think it will work for quite a long time and I have plenty of seal, if I need to redo it.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1259.jpg   IMG_1262.jpg   IMG_1432.jpg   IMG_1433.jpg   IMG_1260.jpg  

DanMKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2021, 10:47 AM   #2

Amazon Seal Link

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
DanMKE is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1007, 2005, door, seal