Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 08-27-2017, 09:40 PM   #1

Second trip out!

Took a little trip up to Wichita Falls to do the Hotter N Hell 100. Just a little 100 mile bike ride in what is normally over 100f out. Thanks to the storm that sadly hit the gulf cost, we had a high of 88f.
But here is a picture of the sunset from the Burkburnett KOA camp.
Jetsers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2017, 01:00 PM   #2

OK, so I did have a little problem on the first night of this trip.
I replaced the fuses in the fuse box. After doing that the propane alarm went off constantly. So I put the old ones back in and it stopped.

Does anyone know why that would happen.

I replaced a small 15 with a full size 15 and the previous owner had a 15 in the spot that said it took a 20.

Once I did that all hell broke loose until I put it back the way it was.
Old 08-28-2017, 10:41 PM   #3

Why did you play with the fuses? Did you try a 20 amp fuse in the spot that is rated for a 20 amp fuse? I'm confused with the difference between a small 15 and a large 15? I'm used to a 15 amp fuse is a 15 amp fuse, there are different types of fuses but they aren't interchangeable in my experience.

The fuse you replaced wasn't blown was it? Like was the propane alarm lit and working before changing out the fuse?
JC_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2017, 06:54 PM   #4

The mini 15 had come out, and there was a 15 where it said a 20 should be. So I was just replacing them with new ones I had bought.
Old 08-31-2017, 11:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetsers View Post
The mini 15 had come out, and there was a 15 where it said a 20 should be. So I was just replacing them with new ones I had bought.
Still a little confused with the fuse coming out but my best guess is that was fuse for the propane alarm and when you replaced the fuse that it completed the circuit. Since the circuit was complete the propane sensor/alarm was now working and either it was detecting propane in the air or it is broken but now able to alarm as it has power. UNLESS the 15 amp that was in the 20 amp slot was blown...then the propane alarm could be on that circuit process of elimination will tell you which it is on if it isn't labeled.

As for the 15 amp in a 20 amp slot, should not be a problem unless you draw more than 15 amps of power through the circuit. Then the fuse will blow and all the circuit will be broken leaving you without power to that line. Going over 20 amps on that 20 amp rated circuit could cause damage to components and/or fire.
JC_MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 01:49 PM   #6

Note that most "good" propane/CO2 alarms sound an intermittent alarm when they are >5 to 6 years old (expired) and need replacement. I just replaced mine, old one didn't do this, but the new one does.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 04:29 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bankr63 View Post
Note that most "good" propane/CO2 alarms sound an intermittent alarm when they are >5 to 6 years old (expired) and need replacement. I just replaced mine, old one didn't do this, but the new one does.
It is original from 2008, that could easily be the issue.