Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-01-2011, 04:58 PM   #1
Site Team

All Scouters past and present please report

I`ve run across a few fellow Scouters here on the forum. I have noticed that like me, many have migrated from their tent days to a trailer of some sort for their family camping. I guess also like me while still enjoying primitive camping with the guys, its nice to get off the ground and have comforts of a trailer with the family. I was a Scout in the 70`s, was a Webelos leader from 96 to 98, Scout Master from 98 to 2001, with my oldest son, Assistant Scout Master 2001 to present, Webelos leader 2010 to present, along with various committee positions. Our Troop camped at Valley Forge two weekends ago for the seventh time, This being the first year I did not go due to other obligations. Last year we shoveled snow for 2 hrs there before we cleared a place to pitch tents! But the boys had a blast and will never forget it. That`s what its all about. Anyone who wishes to chime in with their Scout history/stories, whether yesterday or decades ago please do! -Lee
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 06:48 PM   #2

Great idea!

I am an Eagle Scout from the 80s. My dad was right there with me all through Scouting. He was my Cubmaster and Scoutmaster. We were a backpacking troop when I moved to Atlanta and we did several 50 milers on the Appalachian Trail which was great fun! We moved to Tennessee and my dad became Scoutmaster and turned that troop into backpackers as well. My biggest regret in scouting was not going to Philmont. My brother and dad went, but I was a teenager with other ideas. My goal is to take my son one day.

Today my son is now a Webelos 1. I started off as a den leader and then became Cubmaster last year. It is quite a bit of work, but sure worth it for the boys. My son loves to camp and told me the other night he wants to join a troop that camps a lot.

I am looking forward to many years of scouting with him and hopefully I can invite you all to his Eagle ceremony!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:13 PM   #3
Site Team

Our Troop has been discussing doing a back pack trip like that. Just a matter of getting the logistics worked out. They are planning on visiting and sleeping on an Aircraft Carrier in S. Carolina this Summer, along with Summer Camp, regular trips and the Spring Camporee. Did the Klondike Derby in January with snow on the ground for a change!
Old 03-01-2011, 07:25 PM   #4

Ummmm *timidly raising hand* I was once a "Blue Bird", "Brownie", and "Girl Scout".... does that count?
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:33 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
Ummmm *timidly raising hand* I was once a "Blue Bird", "Brownie", and "Girl Scout".... does that count?

Yeah we`ll let ya play along, Healthi! My old buddy who is now Scout Master has a daughter in Girl Scouts, his wife is a leader. He said they camp in the mall! ewwwwe!
Actually I have been to a few BSA events where a few Girl Scout Troops were also camping.
Old 03-01-2011, 07:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Yeah we`ll let ya play along, Healthi! My old buddy who is now Scout Master has a daughter in Girl Scouts, his wife is a leader. He said they camp in the mall! ewwwwe!
Actually I have been to a few BSA events where a few Girl Scout Troops were also camping.
We never went camping at the mall LOL!

I forgot, I was also a "Police Explorer Scout" (Explorer groups fell under BSA). Actually I met Don in high school as he was already a Police Explorer. He was also a cub/boy scout
Denise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 07:50 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by healthi View Post
We never went camping at the mall LOL!

I forgot, I was also a "Police Explorer Scout" (Explorer groups fell under BSA). Actually I met Don in high school as he was already a Police Explorer. He was also a cub/boy scout
OK, having four boys and no sisters I admittedly have very little knowledge of Girl Scouts. So this thread is now officially open to Girl Scouters as well!
Old 03-01-2011, 08:04 PM   #8

My daughter is a girl scout (as was my wife) - so scouts is a family affair. I sure wish our girl scouts went camping more often here!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #9

As a child I was a Brownie and a Girl Guide. In Canada we call them "Guides" versus the American "Scouts". As an adult I was a Guide Leader for 17 years.

I loved camping with Guiding and I did a lot of camping/travelling with the girls. I've taken Guides to Alberta and New Brunswick in Canada and a group to England and Switzerland.

My "fondest" camping memory was being evacuated from Guide camp while in Alberta. The camp was Mosaic '99 - like a Scout Jamboree. It was the night before we were scheduled to leave camp. We were camping on the banks of the Bow River and it rained so much in..... I can't remember how many days (it was a 10 day camp)..... the authorities thought the river was going to overflow so 2,000 people had to be evacuted from the camp. We had to pack up all our gear in the mud, the freezing cold and the rainy weather so it could be loaded onto an airplane back to Ontario. We had to line up for a couple of hours waiting for school buses to take us to our evacuation point and we hadn't eaten anything all day. Our evacuation point was a curling arena where we got to sleep for the night without the comfort of our air matresses.

As much as the weather was terrible for that whole camp, it is one camp I will never, ever forget!
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 08:51 PM   #10

My dad was a Scoutmaster in the 60's and I remember the many times he took our pack camping. Loved it. I became a Webelo leader in the late 80's and took my son and others tent camping. First took the wife tent camping in the mid 90's and my brother and sister, their families and even my mom joined in. In 2008 we graduated up from tents to a 5er. Now I know my attraction to camping...had to be the scouts. By the way, my family tent camped 12 miles from Philmont in Cimarron Canyon for years. Many times, the Philmont Scouts would arrive early and would occupy the campgrounds where we stayed waiting for their entry date. We would also see them in the town of Cimarron....darn respectible and well mannered kids...but that's what scouting does to a boy.
dg1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2011, 09:00 PM   #11

Growing up I was not in scouts but....

both my sons made Eagle! I was very actively involved with them every step of way. Now both are in their 30's and very much love the outdoors. Both have done extensive AT trail hikes. My younger son often does weekend hikes.

Their mom - she still prefers the Designer and the very close by facility!
Old 03-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcconawa View Post
Growing up I was not in scouts but....

both my sons made Eagle! I was very actively involved with them every step of way. Now both are in their 30's and very much love the outdoors. Both have done extensive AT trail hikes. My younger son often does weekend hikes.

Their mom - she still prefers the Designer and the very close by facility!

That`s something to be very proud of. Only 2% of all Scouts make Eagle. -

Lee
Old 03-01-2011, 09:48 PM   #13

We had lots of scouting adventures in the early 60's. Lots of activities because we had excellent leaders.
Life in the slow lane is still life.
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 07:50 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyDiane View Post
As a child I was a Brownie and a Girl Guide. In Canada we call them "Guides" versus the American "Scouts". As an adult I was a Guide Leader for 17 years.

I loved camping with Guiding and I did a lot of camping/travelling with the girls. I've taken Guides to Alberta and New Brunswick in Canada and a group to England and Switzerland.

My "fondest" camping memory was being evacuated from Guide camp while in Alberta. The camp was Mosaic '99 - like a Scout Jamboree. It was the night before we were scheduled to leave camp. We were camping on the banks of the Bow River and it rained so much in..... I can't remember how many days (it was a 10 day camp)..... the authorities thought the river was going to overflow so 2,000 people had to be evacuted from the camp. We had to pack up all our gear in the mud, the freezing cold and the rainy weather so it could be loaded onto an airplane back to Ontario. We had to line up for a couple of hours waiting for school buses to take us to our evacuation point and we hadn't eaten anything all day. Our evacuation point was a curling arena where we got to sleep for the night without the comfort of our air matresses.

As much as the weather was terrible for that whole camp, it is one camp I will never, ever forget!
Great story. I would love to camp in Canada someday, without having to evacuate, of course!

-Lee
Old 03-02-2011, 08:35 AM   #15

I am an Eagle Scout too. I have been out of scouting for many years but recently was asked to serve on our scout troop's scout committee. My Son is currently a Webelo scout.
Old 03-02-2011, 08:47 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhoth View Post
I am an Eagle Scout too. I have been out of scouting for many years but recently was asked to serve on our scout troop's scout committee. My Son is currently a Webelo scout.
You would make a great Scout leader with your Eagle resume to draw from! I see possibly a Webelos leader (unless that positin is filled) or Asst Sm (Can`t have too many of them) in your future when your boy crosses over! Some of the finest people I have had the pleasure and privilege of knowing have been Scout leaders. I never would have met them without the Scouting experience. Go for it!

-Lee
Old 03-02-2011, 08:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
You would make a great Scout leader with your Eagle resume to draw from! I see possibly a Webelos leader (unless that positin is filled) or Asst Sm (Can`t have too many of them) in your future when your boy crosses over! Some of the finest people I have had the pleasure and privilege of knowing have been Scout leaders. I never would have met them without the Scouting experience. Go for it!

-Lee
I have been away for so long I am having to learn all over again. Getting old sucks! All the leaders are assigned in our troops so I am content to be on the committee for now!
Old 03-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhoth View Post
I have been away for so long I am having to learn all over again. Getting old sucks! All the leaders are assigned in our troops so I am content to be on the committee for now!
Well technically being on the committee you are a bonafide registered Scout leader! You just are not required to have the same level of training as some of the other leaders. We have committee members who contribute and camp just as much as anyone else. -Lee
Old 03-02-2011, 12:48 PM   #19

Hel,l I bet I ate more Girl Scout Cookies than anyone with two daughters back in the day. However, I slept on the ground for the "last time" back in the middle 60's and swore up and down, NEVER AGAIN! lol

Joe Hinson
2010 Jayco Quest G2(SOLD)
2014 Jayco Eagle 33.5RETS
2007 Ram 2500 5.9L Cummins(SOLD)
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins 4WD
:)
namusmc65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2011, 09:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by namusmc65 View Post
Hel,l I bet I ate more Girl Scout Cookies than anyone with two daughters back in the day.
And I bet I stored more boxes of Girl Guide cookies in my living room than anyone else has!
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote