Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-03-2011, 06:00 PM   #21
Site Team

Me: Cub Scout/WEBELOS/Boy Scout: 1950's - 1960's
Assistant Cubmaster: 1985-1988
Cubmaster: 1988-1993
Troop Treasurer: 1993-2009

Son 1 of 2: Eagle Scout, Currently Troop Committee Chairman
Son 2 of 2: Star Scout

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:02 PM   #22

Sorry - cant talk now...off to Cub Scout Roundtable....you know it is only an hour a week!

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #23
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPM III View Post
Me: Cub Scout/WEBELOS/Boy Scout: 1950's - 1960's
Assistant Cubmaster: 1985-1988
Cubmaster: 1988-1993
Troop Treasurer: 1993-2009

Son 1 of 2: Eagle Scout, Currently Troop Committee Chairman
Son 2 of 2: Star Scout

Eagles family camping in a Jayco Eagle. How cool is that? Great Scouting family history!
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #24

I was very involved in Guiding but gave it up because I needed a break. I loved my years in Guiding and when I look back I don't know where I found the "hour a week" that it required.

This is my Guiding Resume:

September 2004 to 2006 - 85th Guides (ages 10 - 12) - Guider
September 2003 to 2006 - International Advisor, Anderson Division
July 2001 to September 2003 - Senior Branch Advisor, Anderson Division
July 2001 to July 2004 - Co-Commissioner, Cleardale District
September 2000 to September 2004 - Senior Branch Guider (ages 16 - 18)
September 2001 to September 2002 - 35th Brownies (ages 7 - 9) - Guider
August 2000 to June 2001 - Division Secretary, Anderson Division
October 1995 to June 1999 - District Secretary, Cleardale District
September 1994 to August 2000 - 5th Guides (ages 10 - 12) - Guider
September 1991 to August 1994 - 115th Sparks (ages 5 & 6) - Guider
As a Youth Member - Brownies - 3 years and Guides - 4 years
KathyDiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #25
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
Eagles family camping in a Jayco Eagle. How cool is that? Great Scouting family history!
Actually, my 33 YO Eagle Scout son has never slept in our Eagle. When he camps with us, he brings his Eureka tent and sleeps in that. He says sleeping in the trailer isn't camping; to which I reply he's right, it isn't camping at all. It's RVing.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Actually, my 33 YO Eagle Scout son has never slept in our Eagle. When he camps with us, he brings his Eureka tent and sleeps in that. He says sleeping in the trailer isn't camping; to which I reply he's right, it isn't camping at all. It's RVing.
AHHH, He`s a still a hard core Scout. Thats OK. That may change with age though. It did for me! The older the bones get, the harder that cold damp ground gets! Of course I still get a good dose of tent camping but it makes me appreciate the Jayco even more!.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:12 PM   #27

I was a scout seems like a long time ago made Life but moved befor eagle. I was a assistant scout master for a while then got married and never went back. used to like winter camps what was I thinking sleeping on frosen ground with a foot of snow outside in a pup tent. But it was fun at the time a lot af good memories.
Old Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 08:48 PM   #28

I was a Boy Scout from 1969 thru 1976, made it to Life and Brotherhood in the Order of the Arrow, but never came close to Eagle. I stayed on with the troop as an Assistant Scoutmaster and served as a very young Scoutmaster until I relocated for employment.

I stayed out of scouting for 25 years until my son became a scout and I signed on as an Assistant Scoutmaster. I have served as the Scoutmaster for the past 3 years.

Our troop is in the Blue Ridge Mountains Council (Virginia) which is blessed with a 17,000 acre scout reservation. Yes, 17 thousand acres!

We frequently backpack on the Applachian Trail which is practically in our back yard.

One of the really great things about our troop is the retention of older scouts with some stayng on as adult leaders after turning 18. Two weeks ago, I had four of my Assistant Scoutmasters who were in from college back at a regular meeting. They serve as excellent role models for all of the scouts and it is really great to have them around.

It is also nice to know that a new generation of leaders will carry on after old buzzards like me fade away!

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
https://www.jaycoowners.com/album.php?u=3163
Boss Wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 01:31 PM   #29

I was a den mother for cub scouts weblos through boy scouts for my son. He went onto earn Eagle Scout.

I was a Girl Scout from Brownie to Senior Girl Scout. Loved the groups I was in. My daughter was a Girl Scout for 2 yrs and I was an adult helper for her group. That was a joke. We did the cookie sale and earned some badges but it is and was not like anything I ever was involved in. The first year was ended with a 2 day weekend at a Resort and water park. That was the mother's idea of camping. Not mine. Visons on Shelly Long's "Troop Beverly Hills" came to mind several times.

When asked, the one thing the girls wanted to do was to really camp. So the next year we did one camping trip which I organized. Myself and my daughter made the meal for the girls for the first night. I also made large batches coffee for the adults for the 2 mornings. I also organized games and activities for the girls along with some meal planning. There were parents in our troop that never cook so there were some pretty interesting meals when it was their turn for a meal. Some girls had never spent any time outdoors so they weren't sure what to do. Needless to say we didn't join this year and have not regretted it one bit.

I feel my husband and I have taught our daughter about camping and the outdoors and scouting in the true sense of the word and the oath they take.

Mary Anne
2011 Jayco Jay Flight 26RLS-Sold
2014 Jayco Eagle 298 RLDS
maromeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 02:29 PM   #30
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
I was a Boy Scout from 1969 thru 1976, made it to Life and Brotherhood in the Order of the Arrow, but never came close to Eagle. I stayed on with the troop as an Assistant Scoutmaster and served as a very young Scoutmaster until I relocated for employment.

I stayed out of scouting for 25 years until my son became a scout and I signed on as an Assistant Scoutmaster. I have served as the Scoutmaster for the past 3 years.

Our troop is in the Blue Ridge Mountains Council (Virginia) which is blessed with a 17,000 acre scout reservation. Yes, 17 thousand acres!

We frequently backpack on the Applachian Trail which is practically in our back yard.

One of the really great things about our troop is the retention of older scouts with some stayng on as adult leaders after turning 18. Two weeks ago, I had four of my Assistant Scoutmasters who were in from college back at a regular meeting. They serve as excellent role models for all of the scouts and it is really great to have them around.

It is also nice to know that a new generation of leaders will carry on after old buzzards like me fade away!

I think our Troop has camped somewhat in your area. Several yrs back we camped at Smith Mountain Lake, climbed one of the Peaks of Otter (Sharptop or Flattop not sure which?). Another time we were at Camp Ottari, BSA camp somewhere near Blacksburg and did some mountain hiking. Two yrs ago we were at Camp Shenandoah, another BSA camp. -Lee
Old 03-16-2011, 08:05 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
I think our Troop has camped somewhat in your area. Several yrs back we camped at Smith Mountain Lake, climbed one of the Peaks of Otter (Sharptop or Flattop not sure which?). Another time we were at Camp Ottari, BSA camp somewhere near Blacksburg and did some mountain hiking. Two yrs ago we were at Camp Shenandoah, another BSA camp. -Lee
Camp Ottari and Camp Powhatan are the two base camps on the Blue Ridge Scout Reservation. My old troop, back in the day, went to Powhatan and my current troop goes to Ottari. If all goes well, I'll be back at Ottari for a week in July. We will be doing our next backpacking trip there as well.

The Peaks of Otter is sort of in my neck of the woods, in fact my family and I went there for dinner last Saturday. We have been thinking of taking the Jayco there for a weekend, but I don't believe the campground opens until May.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
Old 03-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #32
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Wagon View Post
Camp Ottari and Camp Powhatan are the two base camps on the Blue Ridge Scout Reservation. My old troop, back in the day, went to Powhatan and my current troop goes to Ottari. If all goes well, I'll be back at Ottari for a week in July. We will be doing our next backpacking trip there as well.

The Peaks of Otter is sort of in my neck of the woods, in fact my family and I went there for dinner last Saturday. We have been thinking of taking the Jayco there for a weekend, but I don't believe the campground opens until May.
We were at Ottari for Fall 2006 I believe, just about had the place to ourself. We camped on a hill overlooking a small lake. This may look familiar to ya. Also visited a falls nearby.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1438.JPG   IMG_1434.jpg   IMG_1416.jpg  
Old 03-18-2011, 08:04 PM   #33

Looks like Ottari on the backside of the lake. We'll be there next weekend to do some backpacking. It is time to do some Jaycoing.

I don't recognize the falls.

"Roughing it Cheaply"
Albums:
Old 03-18-2011, 09:37 PM   #34

Jayco Eagle Scout program.

Yes was a scout many years ago,but now it's a different type scout. I scout out campgroungs for My EAGLE. Happy Camping The new EAGLE SCOUT.The only way I can go camping because I couldn't get off the ground in a tent. THE BOY AN GIRL SCOUTS OF AMERICA IT GREAT FOR THE KIDs hope it stays around forever.
Campgroundghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 02:39 PM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campgroundghost View Post
Yes was a scout many years ago,but now it's a different type scout. I scout out campgroungs for My EAGLE. Happy Camping The new EAGLE SCOUT.The only way I can go camping because I couldn't get off the ground in a tent. THE BOY AN GIRL SCOUTS OF AMERICA IT GREAT FOR THE KIDs hope it stays around forever.

Yeah I think most of us migrate to a different kind of camping in time. But I do know a few Scouters in their 60`s still tent camping with Troops.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:33 PM   #36

One of my former neighbours worked for Scouts Canada as a program organizer. What a cool job to have.

66 nights in 2016
61 nights in 2015
Derek700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:03 PM   #37

Wow, does that ever bring back memories! In Canada, our little towns had Cubs and Scouts, when I was a kid. I would imagine the cities had Girl Guides back then, too.

The one camping trip I remember involved riding in the back of two one-ton farm trucks out into the country, and setting up a couple of big tents at the edge of a bush. I can only remember bits and pieces, like the two trucks, my Dad's red and black Mercury and another fellow's green Chev or GMC, pulling away from our house in town. I can also still hear my buddy's Dad singing the Wabash Cannonball at the campfire.

As a Cub and Scout, I had the privilege of being mentored by some of the finest people on earth, many of whom were WWII vets. I was born at the end of 1947, so that gives you the time frame. Our Scout troop also used to walk out of our little town and cook supper in a bush during the winter, just on our own. I still like to do that, 50 years later.
kjohn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2011, 01:42 PM   #38
Site Team

Great story, Kjohn. Looks like Scouting is a big deal in Canada too! -Lee
Old 04-10-2011, 01:54 PM   #39
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjohn73 View Post
...riding in the back of two one-ton farm trucks out into the country...
That's a no-no in today's Scouting. Everyone must have a proper seat with a restraint.

Years ago, we used to ride Scouts in the backs of pickups for short distances at low speed, but not any more.

Old 04-10-2011, 04:42 PM   #40

Quote:
That's a no-no in today's Scouting. Everyone must have a proper seat with a restraint.

Years ago, we used to ride Scouts in the backs of pickups for short distances at low speed, but not any more.
Amazing reading the "Guide to Safe Scouting" today and how many "unsafe" things we did back in the day....guess we have gotten just a little bit smarter.....

2009 JayFlight Manual Library

Want to add a signature to your posts? --> Click Here
Terry is offline   Reply With Quote