Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-03-2016, 11:11 PM   #871

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokerBill View Post
That's some great MPGs ttavasc. I averaged just under 10mpg for my trip, but I guess my trailer is about double the weight of yours. I need to start thinking about changing the oil in mine. It has about 6000 on it now, but the EVIC hasn't told me to change it yet. I've notice that when you work the engine hard, oil changes are less frequently called for. I guess higher temps burn off the impurities, at least that's my theory.
I just re-scaled the set up before heading out on this trip. The trailer is about 3700 - 3260 on the axles and 440 on the tongue. As mine is only 7ft wide and probably not as tall the reduced frontal area likely has a lot to do with it. I have the 3.21 rear end plus the 8-speed tranny so lighter and less frontal area likely allowing the 3.21 to deliver the better mileage. On the flat at 62 it's in 7th gear and about 1650-1700 rpm.

I noticed the same thing with the oil life meter on my EVIC - the harder I work it the longer between changes. I'm running the full synthetic and following the severe use maintenance schedule due to my daily commute only being about 5 miles one way - never really gets warmed up on that.

Put another 575 miles on it from Glenn's Ferry, ID to Lake Mead/Echo Bay. We are here now for the week - head back north next weekend.

Old 04-07-2016, 11:17 PM   #872

Maintenence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabman View Post
What did you do to your tow vehicle today? From changing the oil to changing the engine to installing a new mod, we want to know what you did to your tow vehicle TODAY!
My 05 Duramax posted a "low coolant" message on the screen- It developed a coolant leak while towing- We got to our campground ok and took "Ally" to the local GM dealer to have repairs made- The problem was a leaky gasket on the oil filter adaptor assembly- The complete assembly was replaced rather than just the leaky gasket- $525.00 for the part- 152k and she runs pretty smooth yet- Back in the day when I was much younger, I would have replaced the leaky gasket and moved on- Now I find myself at the mercy of repair facilities- JMHO- DD

Old 04-08-2016, 11:00 AM   #873

Changed the oil and filter a few days ago, using my old standby, Walmart Supertech brand full synthetic, about $18 for a 5 quart jug. I don't shy away from Supertech, since it's made by one of the major manufacturers and relabeled. Seems to rate OK on the bobistheoilguy website, too. And I use Purolator filters, again rated high in some tests.

Going to hook up to the TT later this morning and start pulling it. Not quite sure where YET! Last 6 nights here at the Puyallup Fairgrounds took $150 out of my pocket. OUCH! Too rich for my blood.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:03 AM   #874

Ordered 2 new tires to replace the rears on my 2010 durimax. Not sure of mileage [bought used] but I've put 26k miles on it. Probably have total of 40 - 45k I would guess so that's ok, but fronts are still in good shape with no significant signs of wear. Rears wore bald on the 2 inter tread strips with good tread showing on the outer strips.

Tire guy tells me it was probably due to over inflation. I ran rears at 85 and fronts at 80 per sidewall max's. Never had a tire wear like that. Any suggestions to prevent in the future.
Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 11:18 AM   #875

Hmmm....what did I do with my TV today?????
Oh yeah, I drove it to work. Hate when that happens but it pays the bills. Couple more years and we'll join the ranks of the retired!! Oh yeah Baby!
Happy Friday y'all.
Camping Grandpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 12:15 PM   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdogs View Post
Tire guy tells me it was probably due to over inflation. I ran rears at 85 and fronts at 80 per sidewall max's. Never had a tire wear like that. Any suggestions to prevent in the future.

Im no tire expert but usually over inflation wears the center of the tires... I've seen the inside wear faster on the front but never the rear... Hmmmm
SouthCo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 03:25 PM   #877

Today installed a new LED driving light bar, an aftermarket stereo with a back up camera, and some other do dads. Great trucks are built, not bought!
Rvan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:16 PM   #878

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rvan View Post
Today installed a new LED driving light bar, an aftermarket stereo with a back up camera, and some other do dads. Great trucks are built, not bought!

Pics or it didn't happen
Old 04-08-2016, 10:13 PM   #879

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttavasc View Post
I just re-scaled the set up before heading out on this trip. The trailer is about 3700 - 3260 on the axles and 440 on the tongue. As mine is only 7ft wide and probably not as tall the reduced frontal area likely has a lot to do with it. I have the 3.21 rear end plus the 8-speed tranny so lighter and less frontal area likely allowing the 3.21 to deliver the better mileage. On the flat at 62 it's in 7th gear and about 1650-1700 rpm.

I noticed the same thing with the oil life meter on my EVIC - the harder I work it the longer between changes. I'm running the full synthetic and following the severe use maintenance schedule due to my daily commute only being about 5 miles one way - never really gets warmed up on that.

Put another 575 miles on it from Glenn's Ferry, ID to Lake Mead/Echo Bay. We are here now for the week - head back north next weekend.
When I'm towing, I always keep the transmission in 4th gear, tow haul mode, about 60mph and 2300 rpm- my tranny is only a 6 speed, and 4th is direct, 1 to 1 ratio. Unless I'm towing steep grades, my transmission runs at around 130 degrees. I lose a little MPGs, but I feel like I'm babying the drive train pulling in a lower gear. I have a 3.55 rear end.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 10:20 PM   #880

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthCo View Post
Im no tire expert but usually over inflation wears the center of the tires... I've seen the inside wear faster on the front but never the rear... Hmmmm
I didn't explain this clearly, there are 4 tread bands and it was the 2 in the middle that went bald. Thinking over inflated.

Bassdogs is offline   Reply With Quote