Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-16-2020, 09:07 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I just watched a body cam of a recent, yesterday I think, of a perp with a knife coming at a female officer. She has a malfunction and clears it with easy. Training does work!! First time I had SEEN proof.

Can you do that? Under stress!

Yes I can! Shooting competitions ramp up the stress level. The first time will shock you. You may be able to punch a ragged hole standing still at the range, but barely nick a man sized target when you’re under a clock with everyone watching.

No it’s not the same a encountering a hostile human being, but the skills to calm you nerves and gross motor skills are the same.
2x Honda 2K
Old 07-16-2020, 09:51 AM   #102
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewBlackDak View Post
Yes I can! Shooting competitions ramp up the stress level. The first time will shock you. You may be able to punch a ragged hole standing still at the range, but barely nick a man sized target when you’re under a clock with everyone watching.

No it’s not the same a encountering a hostile human being, but the skills to calm you nerves and gross motor skills are the same.
I would agree to an extent and that is good for "stressing" I shot tactical competition for years and it is excellent training.

Old 07-16-2020, 10:49 AM   #103

I am a European who lives in California, I can confirm that most Europeans do not understand the American gun culture, but I have found the opposite to be true as well. I want to start off however by saying that as far as I am concerned 2A is a settled matter in my very limited knowledge it has been confirmed by the supreme court and it is the end of the subject that gun ownership in the US is a protected right, but it also can not be compared to any other countries gun laws for many reasons and there is no real point in trying.

In my limited experience talking with US gun owners on this matter (I feel it is important to understand all side to have a well formed opinion) the biggest misnomer is that many Americans view my countries gun laws incorrectly. I am from the UK, in the UK all handguns are banned, this was not always the case in my 40ish years of life. When I was a child hand gun ownership was legal, when the Dunblane massacre happened the British public felt their rights to handguns were not worth the lives of the children and pressured the government to outright ban all handguns, which is what eventually happened. It is worth noting that as I understand it the ownership laws were stricter even then, however gun ownership in the UK is still legal, it does require a license and registration with the police, but many Farmer still own rifles and Clay Pigeon Shooting (I think that is called trap shooting in the US) is still a very popular past time.

As for myself, I have a different outlook on it all, I have always wanted to shoot a gun, I never have yet, I do have a buddy who is willing to take me shooting his rifles. I never intend to own a handgun, but I do have an interest in hunting and could see myself owning a rifle to do that.

I have never felt unsafe anywhere in the US, but then I avoid the areas where that is a major issue anyway. We should all just enjoy our hobbies and camping with our RVs.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 07-16-2020, 11:09 AM   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post

Oh, and after I found it, I accidentally dropped the magazine and the pistol into the lake, and have never recovered it.
Old 07-16-2020, 12:56 PM   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrhogusa View Post
As a Rev War Reenactor, I would travel with my musket and never gave it a thought. Traveling from campsite to event, the musket would stay in a wool sock. I must have been a sight, the kids normally asked if I was a pirate.
Your musket is consider an antique firearm because is was made prior to 1898 (even if is is a reproduction) and is exempt from most gun laws according to the U.S. Gun Control Act of 1968. See: 18 USC 921 (a)(16).

I own many muskets from the Revolutionary War on through the Civil War, both reproduction and original, and none of them are governed by my state's gun laws. That can vary by state, however, so watch where you carry them.

It is my understanding that black power, however, is classified as an explosive and you might need a license for it, depending on your state.

2022 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LTZ Crew Cab 3.0L Duramax 4WD
2019 Jayco Jay Flight SLX 298BH
2013 Jayco Jay 1206 (Sold)
Old 07-16-2020, 01:07 PM   #106

America, The United States of America, doesn't have a "gun culture", guns are a part of American culture, always have always will be.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:11 PM   #107

If I hypothetically had a weapon, I would keep it loaded (condition 3) and locked in a gun case in my 5th wheel regardless of where I was at.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:20 PM   #108

What happened in the UK only a few years ago should be a reminder to all Americans not to let their guard down and VOTE for those who support our Constitution as it is written, especially the Second Amendment.

Old 07-16-2020, 02:50 PM   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
What happened in the UK only a few years ago should be a reminder to all Americans not to let their guard down and VOTE for those who support our Constitution as it is written, especially the Second Amendment.

You know how easy it is to produce fake and unreliable content on the internet, this is an example. This starts with the Fox hunting ban (I was against that myself) that ban had nothing to do with firearms, I actually lived there during these times. Gun crime does exist, but not to the level this video is making out.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
Old 07-16-2020, 02:55 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgale View Post
You know how easy it is to produce fake and unreliable content on the internet, this is an example. This starts with the Fox hunting ban (I was against that myself) that ban had nothing to do with firearms, I actually lived there during these times. Gun crime does exist, but not to the level this video is making out.

Propaganda at its finest.
2x Honda 2K
Old 07-16-2020, 05:05 PM   #111
Site Team

snip....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Refreshing to see guns discussed without someone going ballistic (ha ha) over it. On the sailing forum I frequent, they won't allow gun discussions because of all the Europeans, Canadians, and various haters.
When the OP began this thread, there was considerable Moderator and Admin discussion before it was allowed. Since it had to do specifically with RVing, it was allowed, and so far the demeanor has been acceptable, but it is being examined carefully, and will continue on, as long as it stays on track within the subject of traveling with a gun in an RV. The Community Rules allow that, and the Site Team is thankful for the candid discussions so far. Thank you!

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Old 07-16-2020, 05:24 PM   #112

I pretty much always carry when out and about especially when traveling. Having permits that "cover" me in all but a few states insures I am in compliance when traveling.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:28 PM   #113

According to the information I could find three states require a license simply to own a handgun (Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York) but they allow handguns to be transported through the state under certain conditions (unloaded, not readily accessible, etc.). While 18 U.S. Code § 926A allows for interstate transportation of firearms from one place where you can legal possess the firearm to another location where you can legal possess the firearm. Even with that I would plan any trip so as not to have to stop in any of these states.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
Old 07-16-2020, 08:35 PM   #114

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons—the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired or separated law enforcement officer"—to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of state or local laws, with certain exceptions.

LEOSA is often incorrectly referred to as "H.R. 218". The act was introduced during the 108th Congress as H.R. 218 and enacted as Public Law 108-277.[1] The law was later amended by the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010 (S. 1132, Public Law 111-272),[2] and Section 1099C of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013 (H.R. 4310, Public Law 112-239).[3] It is codified within the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 as 18 USC § 926B[4] and USC § 926C.[5]

Carl-
Old 07-16-2020, 09:36 PM   #115

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman30 View Post
The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (LEOSA) is a United States federal law, enacted in 2004, that allows two classes of persons—the "qualified law enforcement officer" and the "qualified retired or separated law enforcement officer"—to carry a concealed firearm in any jurisdiction in the United States, regardless of state or local laws, with certain exceptions.

LEOSA is often incorrectly referred to as "H.R. 218". The act was introduced during the 108th Congress as H.R. 218 and enacted as Public Law 108-277.[1] The law was later amended by the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act Improvements Act of 2010 (S. 1132, Public Law 111-272),[2] and Section 1099C of the National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2013 (H.R. 4310, Public Law 112-239).[3] It is codified within the provisions of the Gun Control Act of 1968 as 18 USC § 926B[4] and USC § 926C.[5]
THIS IS INTERESTING:
Pa. corrections officer charged after carrying gun in N.J.

https://www.nj.com/gloucester-county...rying_gun.html

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-16-2020, 09:43 PM   #116

Unfortunately when someone is charged most think it's a conviction. I want to take a bet that these charges are going to be dropped, or hopefully he has some sort of attorney that would make it very simple to file the motions to suppress under the federal standards.

I always like saying I wasn't there so I'm not sure exactly how everything went down. attitude on both sides play a huge factor I believe.

This being said, I hope we all are enjoying our rig s to the fullest potentials during this tumultuous time.

Life is too short and I'm counting down as far as how many more camping seasons do we all have. The goal is having no regrets at the end.

Carl-
Old 07-16-2020, 09:55 PM   #117
Site Team

The charges against him were dropped by the Gloucester County Prosecutor's Office.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Old 07-17-2020, 08:03 AM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2edgesword View Post
According to the information I could find three states require a license simply to own a handgun (Illinois, Massachusetts, and New York) but they allow handguns to be transported through the state under certain conditions (unloaded, not readily accessible, etc.). While 18 U.S. Code § 926A allows for interstate transportation of firearms from one place where you can legal possess the firearm to another location where you can legal possess the firearm. Even with that I would plan any trip so as not to have to stop in any of these states.

These change a little bit for RVs too, because they can be considered domiciles.
2x Honda 2K
Old 07-17-2020, 08:31 AM   #119

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman30 View Post
this being said, i hope we all are enjoying our rig s to the fullest potentials during this tumultuous time.

Life is too short and i'm counting down as far as how many more camping seasons do we all have. The goal is having no regrets at the end.
amen!
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
Old 08-01-2020, 10:53 AM   #120

To answer the OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdrdream View Post
Those of you that travel from state to state and have guns. Any advice? Precautions? Ever had legal issues involving traveling with a gun(s)?
Yes, I carry a gun. My wife is too important to me to be defenseless, and I'm in no shape to physically contest some of the younger folks that can be terribly rude.
Check the laws of the state you plan on visiting and do your best to comply with them or avoid travel there.
I've not yet had legal issues, but then I haven't had any issues anyway.
I use a nationwide bank (Wells Fargo), and figure that if necessary I can rent a safety deposit box to leave it if I must. Alternative, leave it in my trailer.
Mostly, I avoid going where I'm not welcome.
Closed Thread