Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 07-15-2020, 05:55 PM   #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA37TS View Post
Read, understand and carry a copy of the Federal Law regarding the transport of firearms. Locked container, weapon and ammo separate with no stopping overnight.
There is no such Federal Law, it is a myth. If you disagree, post it the regulation. Carry laws are state by state. Doing exactly as you said in NJ can get you jailed.
Old 07-15-2020, 05:56 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Without getting too far off topic here or trying to preach, after years of carrying for a living, as well as managing police firearms training I strongly suggest that anyone who is carrying or wishes to carry do more than go to the range and shoot holes in a paper target a few times a year. Pay for specialized training that puts you into shooting house type, and video type training where you are required to make decisions under real life, stress situations. I know, everyone says, "oh, no problem I practice all of the time and I know how to handle it". Fact is, you do not, until it happens and you cannot think, you cannot get the safety off, you cannot get the front sight up and you cannot exchange mags. I have seen it way too many times. The results are you shoot someone you did not intended to shoot or you die.

I could go on for hours with stories, some funny, some not so much but take my word for it, if you never do stress training, you are a hazard to others when you pull to use the weapon.

Oh, and some of the big bad, macho guys who tell all of the war stories well, some don't do well in firefights.
CAG, My father was a firearms instructor for the USMC. He says the same things you stated above. No matter how good you are at target shooting, It don't come close to like it really is when you are under stress!

WELL SAID!

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-15-2020, 06:00 PM   #83

ok, I AM GOING TO ASK THJIS QUESTION...……..

How many have been stopped while in a Motor Home, Travel Trailer or 5th wheel and the nice police man/woman wanted to look inside your rig to see if you had any firearms?

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
Old 07-15-2020, 06:09 PM   #84
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevyman30 View Post
As far as I understand all Leo and retired which carry the credentials of being certified for that particular weapon and their credentials are allowed in all 50 states plus US territories.

That being said you might have some rogue officer that wants to be a hero and bust another officer. They're out there trust me. Of course we all know what to do by speaking with their immediate supervisor and pushing the envelope especially knowing that you are in the right. These by laws and ordinances doesn't trump federal law as far as I understand.

Safe travels my brothers and sisters.

Retired (in 5 months) LEO
Not entirely true. You need to go through the LEOSA process and training before you are cover for all states.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:15 PM   #85
CAG

I just watched a body cam of a recent, yesterday I think, of a perp with a knife coming at a female officer. She has a malfunction and clears it with easy. Training does work!! First time I had SEEN proof.

Can you do that? Under stress!

Old 07-15-2020, 06:18 PM   #86
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAurand View Post
ok, I AM GOING TO ASK THJIS QUESTION...……..

How many have been stopped while in a Motor Home, Travel Trailer or 5th wheel and the nice police man/woman wanted to look inside your rig to see if you had any firearms?
None that I am aware of. Old wives tales about being harassed by LE.

Old 07-15-2020, 06:24 PM   #87

Folks a forum is susceptible to social media Farming, yes this real and law enforcement and others do use it. This amazing what can be found using this type of software.
Old 07-15-2020, 06:37 PM   #88
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by soonergypsy View Post
Folks a forum is susceptible to social media Farming, yes this real and law enforcement and others do use it. This amazing what can be found using this type of software.
You may have missed the earlier part of this thread where that was covered. It can happen.

Old 07-15-2020, 07:09 PM   #89

Do not attempt to bring firearms into Canada. If you declare them, you will be refused entry. If you do not declare them and get found out, you will be arrested for smuggling. A friend works for Canada Border Inspection Agency and has arrested Americans for failure to declare. Just a head’s up.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:12 PM   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamdrdream View Post
Those of you that travel from state to state and have guns. Any advice? Precautions? Ever had legal issues involving traveling with a gun(s)?
Make sure you carry a copy of the list of states that don’t allow You to carry A weapon in them, when traveling through them, unload your firearm, put a TSA lock on it So it’s impossible for it to be fired and keep the ammo in a totally separate compartment, out of your grab-able reachable area! You can transport through states but don’t carry where your not allowed.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:03 PM   #91

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I just watched a body cam of a recent, yesterday I think, of a perp with a knife coming at a female officer. She has a malfunction and clears it with easy. Training does work!! First time I had SEEN proof.

Can you do that? Under stress!
That Eaton County (Michigan) deputy is a 22 year veteran. She inadvertently made a great law enforcement training video for that very reason (training pays off1). I watched the body cam video and a house security camera video that caught the whole incident.

Jerry B.
"Stateboy" (Formerly "36fire412")
SW Lower Michigan
2016 X254
2012 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD 4x4
Old 07-15-2020, 09:03 PM   #92

I have multiple sate permits including the "peoples republic" of NY. Heading out west next month to look for a new homestead, S Dakota, Montana, Utah, & Idaho on the list.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:09 PM   #93

On a related subject: Has anyone tracked the bill to change Army COE campground regulations to allow firearms. I understand it will read similar to the National Park regulations. I was quite surprised when traveling last year that the COE didn't allow any firearms in their campgrounds even if you had a permit for that state.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:46 AM   #94

The only time I interacted with a police officer was when I had a blowout on I-10 in NM. He was,a state police segeant who helped me change the tire. I asked for his card and wrote a nice letter to his commander. Later I received a thank you from the head of the NM state police.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:55 AM   #95

https://www.gunlawguide.com/
Old 07-16-2020, 06:49 AM   #96

You know the old saying, “if you don’t know how to use your firearm proficiently it will be used against you one way or another”!

Train train train till it’s embedded in your brain!
Old 07-16-2020, 07:19 AM   #97

Refreshing to see guns discussed without someone going ballistic (ha ha) over it. On the sailing forum I frequent, they won't allow gun discussions because of all the Europeans, Canadians, and various haters.

I sail my 28 foot sailboat on Lake Michigan, and the Coast Guard can pull me over anytime for no reason, and search the entire boat. If I was coming up from Mexico, I might understand it, but what are they hoping to find as I'm sailing near where I live in western Michigan? Seriously.

Last time they searched my boat, I told them I had a pistol on board, and they searched the entire boat and the backpack containing the pistol. They removed the magazine from the pistol and hid it. It took me about 15 minutes to find it after they left. So, were they just being jerks, or did they legitimately think I was going to fire off a few round into their backsides when they untied from my boat? I was entirely cooperative and cordial, so.....

That little interaction with the federal government tells me all I need to know about the feds and my ownership and use of firearms.

Oh, and after I found it, I accidentally dropped the magazine and the pistol into the lake, and have never recovered it.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:22 AM   #98

You are correct, I only wanted to give the short version. Understanding that if you do meet this criteria as you would fully know what is involved.

Carl-
Old 07-16-2020, 08:34 AM   #99

As a Rev War Reenactor, I would travel with my musket and never gave it a thought. Traveling from campsite to event, the musket would stay in a wool sock. I must have been a sight, the kids normally asked if I was a pirate.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:40 AM   #100
CAG

Last time they searched my boat, I told them I had a pistol on board, and they searched the entire boat and the backpack containing the pistol. They removed the magazine from the pistol and hid it. It took me about 15 minutes to find it after they left. So, were they just being jerks, or did they legitimately think I was going to fire off a few round into their backsides when they untied from my boat? I was entirely cooperative and cordial, so.....

I can't speak to why the hid the magazine, other than perhaps they thought you flunked the "attitude" test. The other possibility is that they just want some safety distance before you could load the weapon.

As to stopping you anytime; Coast Guard has the same authority as Customs and Border Protection which allows them to stop and inspect any "vehicle" that is within a certain distance from the border. I am not familiar with Lake Michigan's proximity to the border but that would be my guess for the stop.

I have found federal LE to be polite and easy to deal with. I go through remote border check points often in SE Arizona as well as running into individual officers in Arizona back country near the Mexico border and never have had an issue. Being on their side of it, I also have seen some pretty nasty, disrespectful citizens, and generally they get back what they give.

Closed Thread