Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-19-2017, 06:16 PM   #1

Utah - planning advice

I think we are going to try to do 2 weeks in Utah this summer.

I'm guessing that we'd do Arches, Canyonland, Bryce Canyon, Zion, and maybe Golden Spike. We are probably not going to make it back until after the kids are gone, so trying to get as much of it as we can with the two weeks we have. We go to see the sites and do some hiking. Would probably look to do a raft trip while we are there.

How would you suggest breaking up our time? How many days at each?

And when does it start getting too hot out that way?

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2017, 07:27 PM   #2

We stopped at Arches for one night and stayed 3. Would have stayed longer but did not want to miss the others.
No matter where you go don't forget to take backpack(s) and at least 1 two liter bottle of water per person for hiking. The heat and dry will make it worthwhile.

Back to Arches, get on a Ranger led hike if you can, which is good advice for almost any National Park. See the off road areas, more impressive than the well traveled areas.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #3

I'm a Canyonlands fan.. I believe its the largest of the parks as well. Most folks don't venture down to the southeastern entry but it is amazing down there and if you have a 4WD the options can go on for days. There are also some fantastic local and state parks in the area, "Slick Rock" for example and "Horsethief" which is on the way to the main Canyonlands park entry...
Old 03-19-2017, 07:47 PM   #4

Don't forget your mountain bike!
Old 03-19-2017, 08:13 PM   #5

Well, as one who drove through Utah last year going to New Mexico and avoided the state entirely going home even though it added an extra day of driving, my advice is to avoid a short stretch of Interstate 15 from Ogden to Provo!

Going through SLC was a nightmare due to the inconsiderate SOBs that decide to exit at the last minute form three lanes over from the exit. Not sure if they are suicidal or homicidal but as a former in town delivery driver, the drivers in Salt Lake city & vicinity scared the poo out of me!

Murff

2015 White Hawk 20MRB (It's last year)
2017 F150 2.7 Eco Boost 3.73 Gears

Murff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 09:14 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murff View Post
Well, as one who drove through Utah last year going to New Mexico and avoided the state entirely going home even though it added an extra day of driving, my advice is to avoid a short stretch of Interstate 15 from Ogden to Provo!

Going through SLC was a nightmare due to the inconsiderate SOBs that decide to exit at the last minute form three lanes over from the exit. Not sure if they are suicidal or homicidal but as a former in town delivery driver, the drivers in Salt Lake city & vicinity scared the poo out of me!

Murff
I concur. Just did that stretch two days ago.

2020 Outdoors RV Glacier Peak Titanium
2013 Eagle 29.5RKS (traded in)
2013 Ford 6.7L diesel F350
Cosmik Debris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 10:16 PM   #7

Typically May avg high temps are 80's and 90's. I would strongly suggest you have Reservations...Utah gets a great number of foreign tourists and fills quickly.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:59 PM   #8

One could spend a whole summer in southern Utah. Also check out Kodachrome State Park.Here is a site with a bunch of pics. https://www.google.com/search?q=koda...xSBDI6lsB_VoM:

Hope the link works.
I won't tell which rock formation the wife couldn't take her eyes off for a while.
MadDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:57 AM   #9

We stayed a week last July at Duck Creek campground, about 30 miles or so from Cedar City. It is a great campground and is not far from Bryce and Zion. I highly recommend it.
there are no hookups, though if you need that.
jerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 11:37 AM   #10

Stay Out of Utah

We want to keep it for ourselves. I have always said, why go anywhere else when I have Utah in my backyard. I have camped and played in almost every part of Utah but could spend the rest of my life exploring areas I had to pass up on the way to somewhere else.

A week in Arches is not enough. Same is true for Canyonlands if you want to get away from the crowds by 4X4 or bike or hike. Four Corners area is worth another week which is why we will go down there in a few weeks.

We typically spend 5-6 days in the campground at Arches and do not come out of the park. We will always do it in the spring.

I would never go to color country, Southern Utah, in the summer. Way too hot. Don't know why the tourists do it. I have been to Arches over a span of 40 years and love it. I may not go back for a while because it is getting too crowded.

Zion is extremely busy but has many good hikes. If you are willing to walk a few miles there are some beautiful areas and vistas. I will not be going back to Zion because it is too crowded. I might go in the winter.

Bryce Canyon is better in late spring or Fall because it is a higher elevation than the rest. It has large ponderosa pine trees at the top but the hikes are all below and in the south facing cliffs. It is good for a day or so.

Canyonlands does not get much traffic 200 yards from the pavement. For those who want to get away from the crowds, get on a trail in Canyonlands. Some say it is their favorite because it is more quiet. Don't forget Dead Horse Point while you are there.

I will not be going back to Golden Spike Monument. Nothing there but sage brush, dioramas and a couple of steam engines. I can get that on the internet and the local museum.

For every national park in Utah, there are five more places to go that the locals know about. There are many places here I have been to which I will not talk about because I want to keep it for myself. There are many places to see what the parks have without the crowds. Step into the parks for a few hours but that is all that is needed if you are willing to boondock or explore the lesser known.

I love Utah and will spend a couple weeks every year exploring new and old. We have the color country down south. 11,000 foot mountains in the north. Deserts with wide open areas in west. I cannot imagine camping in a full hookup campground in a city. Not my style. I will fill my water tanks and point my solar panels at the sun and enjoy the peace and quiet where few venture out.

Please stay out of Utah. Let me know if you need specifics and I would be glad to help.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:20 PM   #11

We boondock for National Parks, only way to experience it as far as I'm concerned. Having a couple dozen elk, or a cow moose and her calf 50 yards from your camper is reason enough.

I've been to Moab for Easter Jeep safari a couple years, but not the family. I agree that it's beautiful out there! With the kids, we are limited to summer, or Christmas break in order to get more than just 1 week. We are trying to get the kids to as many National Parks, especially the iconic ones, before they are off to college. DD is 14, DS is almost 12, so we pack in what we can, knowing we'll never have enough time to do it all. We still have to make the west coast and the extreme southwest and Pacific north west. Already done Yellowstone, Tetons, Glacier, Rushmore, Rockies. Utah seems like the next leap.

I figured that summer would be hot, but figured winter would be to cold for those parks? I know Moab gets snow since I've woken up to it in April.

We could conceivably travel anytime between mid June and Labor day. Is the weather appreciably different within that period?