Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 05-08-2020, 08:47 AM   #1

Allergic reaction to camper

The last few times I have been in our camper to do some work on it, I have had an allergic reaction. My face starts turning red and getting warm, even had my eye swelling up the one time. We purchased our 355MBQS new in 2017, we have used it quite a bit since with several trips that were 2 weeks and 5000 miles along with lots of weekends and I never had a problem until a couple of months ago. It has been stored for the winter at our house, outside. I went to work on some electrical issues and within a 1/2 hour had the problem. Waited a couple of weeks, worked on it again and same thing happened. Was just working on it again this past weekend dewinterizing it and started again. I do have some blocks of rodent poison setting around, guess I will get rid of those are air it out really well. Anyone else ever have this problem?
oh355mbqs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 08:50 AM   #2

If you had mice over the winter it could be a reaction to them or what they left behind. My DW is very sensitive to rodent hair, droppings etc. She does not have a reaction as strong as yours but does react...

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:31 AM   #3

Also, check carefully for any water infiltration and the beginning of mold. 3 years is about right for problems starting to crop up if seals are not meticulously maintained. Some people can have pretty severe reaction to molds and mildew. Mold test kits for airborne spores can be had for $30 and up.
bankr63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:18 PM   #4

In days gone by they used formaldehyde treated paneling in the towables. I had the same reaction as you with the addition of watering eyes. The way to fix it is on a hot day, run the heat up to about 100 F for a couple of hours with everything closed up. Then turn off the heat, open everything, and turn on the fans. Some times during storage/heat the walls outgas which sounds like what happened to you. We tried cleaners, aerosols, febreze, and none of them worked. The only way that worked for four TT's and FW's was cooking out the baddies.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 12:49 PM   #5

I am thinking mold, only because you said you have had this rig since 2017 and have not had any issues until recently.

First step, check the roof sealant. Then with a good mask (if you can get one), start poking around inside with a strong flashlight looking for signs of water/mold. A common area is under the shower. You can buy mold testing kits, I have never used one, so no experience here.

Lastly I would give the TT a good deep cleaning, may need the spouse to help out this task. I would suggest soapy water and a little bleach to sanitize. Change out the water frequently so you do not spread any potential mold spores. Take the cushions out, if possible pull the foam and wash the cover. If not let them sit in the sun/breeze to air out. Basically I would go over the entire TT with a fine tooth comb, and clean everything inside and out.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 01:27 PM   #6

Mouse blocks kill with a poison that is an anti-coagulant and to my knowledge does not outgas. Mold, mouse droppings, something breaking down somewhere in your walls are all suspect. Have you aired it out for several hot, dry days?
I leave my vents open a crack all winter and summer as I have covers so the rain can't get in.

It wouldn't hurt to check everywhere for leaks. Also, probe and knock on the walls and ceiling and look for spongy or discolored areas that might indicate leak damage. Another nose might also find an odor you can't smell.

Last, LP gas leak???
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote