Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-18-2016, 08:49 PM   #11

Flapper,

Is there full hook up sites at the cg you guys will be at? If so, and you don't need to leave early the last day, maybe you could stop by a full hook up site that is vacant instead of the dump station. Spend a little time flushing the tank, and head home to get the trailer ready for hibernation.

'16 Jay Flight 32 BHDS ELITE 32 BHDS MODS Reese DC HP

WDH SET UP. HOW A WDH WORKS. CAT SCALE HOW TO.
need-a-vacation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 03:42 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
- Once the black tank drainage is down to just the the black tank flush water
- Close the black tank valve (to add rinse water via black tank flush)
- Dump gray tank(s)
Have to question this part of your advise.... Instructions for my black tank flush are very clear... DO NOT run the Black Tank Flush with the valve closed. Doing so will pressurize the system and potentially compromise your seals.

Griswald One - Life is a Misadventure!
2015 Greyhawk 29ME / Chevy Sonic
Griswald One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:03 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Flapper,

Is there full hook up sites at the cg you guys will be at? If so, and you don't need to leave early the last day, maybe you could stop by a full hook up site that is vacant instead of the dump station. Spend a little time flushing the tank, and head home to get the trailer ready for hibernation.
Done this a few times. Much better then feeling rushed.

Typically we leave camp late, so the mad rush at the dump station is minimal, and I can take my time.

I always add a few gallons of water to the tank when I'm done. The sloshing breaks things up, and keeps the tank in good health.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 07:22 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Have to question this part of your advise.... Instructions for my black tank flush are very clear... DO NOT run the Black Tank Flush with the valve closed. Doing so will pressurize the system and potentially compromise your seals.
As long as your tank is properly vented, there is no way that you could pressurize the tank. The vent is at least 1" diameter, and the flush system, with its spray nozzle(s) to increase pressure, will never overcome that much vent. You CAN cause damage if you leave the spray on and completely fill or overfill the system. Damage will likely be a blown seal at the bottom of the toilet. But if you have a 50 gallon tank, and you know that the spray will only flow 5 gallons per minute (a very high average), then if you leave the spray on for only 5 or 6 minutes at a time (the time that it takes to dump the gray), you know that you will be safe.
Fire_Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 09:47 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griswald One View Post
Hmmm - there is a sticker on the outside saying to have the valve open, but no warnings in any instructions. I had believed there was a vent that moderated the pressure (other posts about people drastically overfilling and having poo water drip off their roof!). I wonder what the story really is???

These are state park campgrounds. At most there is electrical. No water, no sewer. And will probably be a line at the dump station, hence wanting to not tie up others too long.

Sounds like if I am low on water by the end of the stay, would be to see if my hose will reach to the communal water tap. If not, do what I can, without being there too long. Interesting that in a major metro area (Mpls/St. Paul) there are pretty few dump stations available. May have to run over to a nearby state/regional park the following week day, where I may be able to take more time!
Old 02-19-2016, 10:42 AM   #16

I use a water pressure regulator on my black tank flush input also to protect from dump stations that may have very high water pressure.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN3909.jpg  
Old 02-19-2016, 10:54 AM   #17

I did a google search, ”white bear lake dump stations” and found the following website that has a small list of private dump stations.
Sanidumps: RV Dump Stations near White Bear Lake, Minnesota within a radius of 20 miles (32 kms)
RV Dump Stations

Mike’s LP service just south of 36 on Frost has a dump station ($), they also carry lots of RV parts in house and make custom LP hoses.

Look at some of the county parks in the area. For example Lake Elmo Park Reserve has a dump station. Rice Creek Chain of Lakes (Anoka County Park) near 35W and 35E interchange has a dump station.

Sometimes I take the scenic route home just to ensure I can pass a state park with a dump station.
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2016, 10:58 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by need-a-vacation View Post
Flapper,

I like this idea! There's more than one way to skin a cat!

But if the next occupant rolls up and wants his spot, you could get rushed again ...

2014 Jay Flight 28 BHBE
2015 RAM 2500 6.4L HEMI, Tradesman 4x4, 3.73
Blue Ox SwayPro (BXW 1503)

Upgraded from an REI internal frame backpack and a Eureka 1/2 dome tent!
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:45 AM   #19

I can give you an example of what not to do to be efficient. One of our weekend trips last year there was a long line at the dump station. Super genius guy decides to cut in front of about five people. To really top off his behavior, he had to open the package and assemble the dump hose that he had apparently just purchased. If that wasn't bad enough he topped it again. He finally gets the hose assembled, hooks it to the tank outlet, pulls the black tank valve and off comes the hose. Instead of closing the valve, he decides to try to put the hose back on, which causes the flow to splatter everywhere, including all over his white t shirt. I had to laugh when the guy in the next lane advised that is what he gets for jumping in front of everyone. After waiting in line and dumping our tanks, I pulled into a parking lot so I could run into a bath house and wash my hands. I stuck around to see just how long it took him, 40 minutes from the time he pulled into the lane to the time he left. Just don't be that guy and you'll be fine.
jenoble99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 10:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC-REQS View Post
Here's what I do when dumping at a dump station:

First I try to get to the dump station when it's not busy.

Once at the dump station.

- Connect the hose to the black tank flush.

- Run the black tank flush while dumping the black tank.

- Close the black tank valve (to add rinse water via black tank flush)

- Dump gray tank(s)

Note: Watch the Black Tank Level during dumping the gray tank to make sure you don't over fill the black tank. Though this has never happened to me.

- After gray tank(s) have dumped, dump the black tank's rinse water.

- Turn off water & replace dump station hose.

- Allow black tank to finish draining during replacing the dump station hose.

- Close black tank value & pull out of the dump station (if someone is waiting).

Then, when I'm out of the way

- I add ~1-2 gal water and toilet chemicals to black tank, put both in via the toilet. I keep this water-chemical mixture in the black tank until the next camping trip.

During the camping season I always keep ~1-2 gal of water & toilet chemicals in the black tank. I've done this with all the trailers we've owned over the past 15+ years. Between sloshing around when driving and sitting during storage, it has always seemed to help keep the black tank clean. If it's a while in-between camping trips I may dump what's in the black tank once I get to a campground then refill with new ~1-2 gal of water & chemicals.

I only drain the black tank to totally dry on the last trip of the season prior to winter storage. I always try to camp at a full hook-up site for the last trip of the season so I can take my time and clean all tanks out very good.

Hope this helps.

That's about how i do it as well and it usually goes quickly and seems to work well