Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-20-2019, 05:09 PM   #1

CB Radio - Anyone still using them?

Found my old CB radio (40 channel). Before I go through the effort of installing it, I'm wondering if anyone other than truckers still use them. I tried to search the forum, but it didn't like "CB" so I had to start a new thread. So what do you think, install or not?
MikeyInNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:25 PM   #2

The CB Radio has virtually dropped out of sight in the trucking industry.
What was once a necessary tool of the trade for truckers, is now virtually obsolete. Few truckers have a CB Radio in their truck anymore.

It was used to communicate with other truck drivers, get weather reports, road conditions, "bear" sightings, directions and more.

The CB radio has been replaced with modern technology.... the cell phone, laptop computers and GPS.

It is somewhat sad that this important part of trucker culture is pretty much gone.
1996 Viking Pop-up
1979 Coleman 8 man cabin tent
1967 G.I Joe (hasbro) canvas pup tent
THE MEEKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:27 PM   #3

I still see 18 wheelers with CB antennas, or they look like CB antennas of old.

Maybe there is an "app" for that.
Equalizer WDH
TV 2018 F150 FX4 SC 3.5EB TP/MT
jimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 05:40 PM   #4

I install ours only for long trips. It takes 2 minutes to do and we have magnetic mount CB antenna. I usually leave it OFF unless we see something troubling ahead - congestion, smoke, whatever. There are enough folks talking with CBs that it is often possible to get an idea of what's going on before getting deep into it.

I install it primarily as a plan 'B' just in case we have a serious problem and are in a cell phone 'dead zone'. Thankfully, we haven't had to put that use to the test.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:15 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimp View Post
I still see 18 wheelers with CB antennas, or they look like CB antennas of old.

Maybe there is an "app" for that.
Some of the larger distribution yards in Kansas City (even the rock quarry near my house) use CB's so drivers can talk to the dispatcher or scale house. It's much easier to key up a radio than call someone for those in-out situations.

This sign is beside the road at the former Toys R' Us distribution center near me. Click image for larger version

Name:	CB.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	47983
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:38 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE MEEKER View Post
The CB Radio has virtually dropped out of sight in the trucking industry.

Not really, it just depends on the industry to truck is involved in. Long Haul and most highway trucks really dont need them as much but like Iraqvet05 mentions some places require them. Here in Oregon with the mills and logging industry they are a must as most log trucks are out of cell service a good part of the time and they also need them to communicate with equipment operators.

I have never been a CB user but yes they are getting less useful with todays technology but we do travel in a lot of places where there is no cell service so I have thought about it.

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:44 PM   #7

We still use a CB out at the saw mill to talk to the log truck and chip truck drivers. Also the front end losders and shovels have them. The debarker shack has a CB also to talk to the front end loader if it is needed. We have tried them in the fork lifts with limited results. As far as I know most of the logging outfits still use them out in the woods. Cell phones do not work very good in the canyons. I have been kicking around the idea of putting a CB in the TT and pickup just to chat to the wife if needed. They have limited range. The rules say line of sight range. They are ment to be short range unless you like to shoot skip as we used to call it.
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 07:49 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke4857 View Post
I have been kicking around the idea of putting a CB in the TT and pickup just to chat to the wife if needed. They have limited range. The rules say line of sight range. They are ment to be short range unless you like to shoot skip as we used to call it.

You cant beat these little radios, UHF/VHF and about a 3 mile range with a 12" whip antenna. Out group use then on the road but we also use them in camp to communicate to people that are out in the Sand Dunes, one of the wives ALWAYS monitor them when the guys are out riding.

https://www.amazon.com/BaoFeng-UV-5R...ag=googhydr-20

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 07:41 PM   #9

I have one in my truck but I don’t find it as useful as years ago. In highly congested areas I find it to be the tool of jerks who are too ignorant to spell WWW. In rural areas it is pretty silent. On more than one occasion I’ve heard truckers arguing with each other because more truckers only turn them on when there is a traffic issue and the guys who run with them all the time resent that.

Sometimes I will run with it on and the squelch turned up high so I only pick up very local info.

If you have all the parts I’d probably install it, that is what I did but I wouldn’t go out and buy one at this point.
hbravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:39 PM   #10

Is there still a specific channel for emergencies that’s monitored by highway patrol? Forty years ago when I was bit by the CB bug, (handle “Stringbean”) I think it was Channel 9? And there were others the truckers typically hung on that you kept off of. The P.O. of our truck included the CB when we bought it so I may take it along on the next long trip.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:45 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post
You cant beat these little radios, UHF/VHF and about a 3 mile range with a 12" whip antenna. Out group use then on the road but we also use them in camp to communicate to people that are out in the Sand Dunes, one of the wives ALWAYS monitor them when the guys are out riding.

Those type (uhf/vhf) have been on the back burner also. Thank you!
Duke4857 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:43 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustynuts View Post

Don't these require a HAM or GMRS radio license to operate?
mraplx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2019, 06:52 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraplx View Post
Don't these require a HAM or GMRS radio license to operate?
It should but the FCC doesn’t seem to enforce that.
Iraqvet05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:50 AM   #14

CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyInNY View Post
Found my old CB radio (40 channel). Before I go through the effort of installing it, I'm wondering if anyone other than truckers still use them. I tried to search the forum, but it didn't like "CB" so I had to start a new thread. So what do you think, install or not?
There are a few of us still out here but it’s a lot quieter now.
Edmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:53 AM   #15

I have a bearcat 880 that I put in our Ranger Crew. I plan on getting another for the 28BHBE so that whomever is at camp has a way to contact us when we are out in the mountains with no cell service. I have a couple of portable HAM radios too that I don't know how to use that are in the rv.

For long trips I move the 880 to my F150 TV and have found it very useful during traffic to hear / comm. w truckers. A big red splurge on google maps isn't always useful nor up to date.

Yes, I fully resent AT&T and their BS coverage maps and shoddy service. If the cell network worked as well as they sell it I wouldn't need CB or HAM.
hingedthinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:54 AM   #16

I have the Bearcat as well. It’s a good radio.
Edmurray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #17

Yes I use one on all trips....sometimes it helps...sometimes not....I do like the ability to go to the weather channels and hear what may be close by....
2018 Pinnacle 36KPTS

Sola123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:23 PM   #18

Great backup communication

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyInNY View Post
CB radios are great backup comms when you're in a spot. They're relatively inexpensive and have a decent range if properly installed. I'd strongly recommend an adjustable (tunable) antenna mounted high and tuned with an swr meter for best performance.

The rule with ANY radio is "it's only as good as its antenna ". You may find it handy if you're traveling in the boonies, mountains, etc. and there's no cell phone signal.

Good Luck
Packerbacker_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #19

I reside near a couple of truck stops and all of the big riggs have CB's. Traveling 80 over the mountains they seem to get good use. Won't use mine near city's because of the degenerate foul mouthed jerks. Have recently started to work on a ham license to talk with friends on the 2 meter band.
Also, newer vehicles don't really have a place to install a radio.
jaybwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2019, 12:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iraqvet05 View Post
It should but the FCC doesn’t seem to enforce that.
FRS/GMRS might require a license depending on the channel (frequency) and power used. That said, these things are in every store across America and you'll see them in every campground. They're portable and low power. Given those factors, it's not worthwhile for authorities to chase anyone down unless someone is blatantly violating the law. i.e. committing a felony.
Packerbacker_TX is offline   Reply With Quote