Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 02:19 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to Carlosrod Send a message via MSN to Carlosrod Send a message via Yahoo to Carlosrod
They are safe.

Tanks are safe. My bigger concern is you pulling a trailer with a Subaru.
Old 05-25-2022, 03:11 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlosrod View Post
Actually a decent size TV for that size trailer. We pulled a slightly lighter trailer with a similar TV for 120,000 miles crisscrossing the US many times. The map on the sig is accurate.

Wouldn't go any bigger TT though.. Brakes are the Subies weakness and if the trailer brakes go ( for example broken wiring) the driver better be aware of increased stopping distance.

We see quite a few number of like( small SUV) vehicles towing in the North Maine Woods where the height clearance is paramount. Not speed as the roads are logging roads and potholed dirt.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Old 05-25-2022, 03:30 PM   #23

Quote:
X2 - That was my immediate reaction.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:22 PM   #24

My suggestion is to keep it in your rig...away from passengers. Why? If there is a leak, a spark in the passenger compartment of the car could ignite leaking propane. They are more than sturdy enough to ride in your trailer, and if something goes wrong, any disaster would not be inside the car.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:32 PM   #25
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim Gass View Post
I find this thread hilarious in a way.. For many years we traveled by train and charter bush plane to remote areas for canoe trips and portage maintenance work details in Northern Ontario. The canoes were on the train or plane too.

Nothing is gentle about either mode of travel.. Baggage had to be thrown off as there were no stations( we departed at flag stops and mile markers) Once a canoe was damaged as it rolled on the ballast and hit an unfortunate branch. On the water when launching from a bush plane mid lake the packs had to be thrown down by the pilot.

Our fuel bottles were those one lb green propane bottles.
This is a forum, standby, someone will add they witnessed a propane canister explode in a meteor shower. "That's why I keep mine in a meteor proof compartment, with a link to Amazon". You can never be too careful.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:36 PM   #26

Quote:
The Suburu Ascent can pull 5,000 pounds. That's about 900 pounds over the max of the trailer loaded, and has a reasonable hitch load as well. It also does not need sway bars as it somehow manages sway very well.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:25 PM   #27

Traveling with Propane.

Uhhh, I travel in my C Class with a 40 lb 9 gal propane tank tied down in my shower. Its my external 'long lasting' tank for heat mostly. Dont have to pull out my rig for propane. Been doing it for 2+ years.
Old 05-25-2022, 06:36 PM   #28
CAG

Is this horse dead yet?

Old 05-25-2022, 10:07 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaftCoach View Post
I have a padded storage bag that holds four. I've had them bouncing around in my, car, pop-up and now TT without a problem.
I use old cotton socks (crew cut in half or ankle) to slip the cylinder into. Then stick then in a box (like from computer paper) to travel in a bay or other storage area to keep them from rolling around. I try to keep the black plastic cap on, but like the idea of the brass screw on that some have pointed out. Never have had any leakage from what I can remember.

Good Luck and stay safe -
Old 05-26-2022, 03:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
This is a forum, standby, someone will add they witnessed a propane canister explode in a meteor shower. "That's why I keep mine in a meteor proof compartment, with a link to Amazon". You can never be too careful.
While I understand your concern for the unlikely way a bad thing could happen when transporting these canisters, its always better to err to the worst rather than have something happen in a life threatening way.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
Old 05-26-2022, 03:19 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Is this horse dead yet?
Geez. Folks act like they are being forced to open a thread and read. All you have to do is move on.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
Old 05-26-2022, 06:43 AM   #32

1 lb. propane storage

In a previous camper the storage compartments for the 20 lb. tanks had bottoms so I was able to store my 1 lb. bottles in that ventilated area.
Old 05-26-2022, 09:07 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Always remember that warning labels were written by lawyers to cover someone’s, well you get the picture.
Usually because it happened once before and the manufacturer got burned and therefore had to hire an army of lawyers to write warning labels to mitigate liability the next go-around.
Old 05-26-2022, 10:56 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuva View Post
I recently bought a portable propane grill for camping trips. I would like to bring alone one or two 1lb. propane cylinders, but I'm driving a Suburu Ascent and towing a Jay Flight SLX 183RB trailer. I'd rather not store the cylinders in the trailer storage as it bounces around on the road.

Do you think it's safe to store the cylinders in the back of my Suburu, hemmed in so that they don't move around, and cracking a couple of windows for ventilation?
The only 1 lb propane tanks that I have had leak were the ones I refilled. DOT does not like the refilled Colman type tanks. I just use them around the house. I bought the Flame King refillable tanks when they were avalable. Those are what are in the TT. I refill those with no trouble. The tanks are hard to find to have extra ones now, but they are out there. There is a refill kit that you can buy. Propane is cold enough to make very bad freezer burns on your skin, so wear heavy leather gloves when playing with propane. Propane in a invisable gas. It is heaver than air so it will set in a puddle or low spot and wait for a spark. Be careful with the stuff.
Old 05-27-2022, 10:45 PM   #35

I use them within a few inches of an open flame... no issues.
Old 11-07-2022, 06:02 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobuva View Post
I recently bought a portable propane grill for camping trips. I would like to bring alone one or two 1lb. propane cylinders, but I'm driving a Suburu Ascent and towing a Jay Flight SLX 183RB trailer. I'd rather not store the cylinders in the trailer storage as it bounces around on the road.

Do you think it's safe to store the cylinders in the back of my Suburu, hemmed in so that they don't move around, and cracking a couple of windows for ventilation?
I had the same concern and I find that there is some residual propane smell when the cylinders are disconnected from a stove etc. I now use brass screw on caps that I got on Amazon 5 for CAD$13.50. They have a gasket and screw on tight and I have not noticed a smell from them since. I put them on brand new and partially used cylinders and also ones that I refill with an adapter. I'm sure there are many but these are the ones I got.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B09...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
Old 11-10-2022, 06:40 PM   #37

" I been doin that for furty fer years and ain't never had a problem yet".
" I don't read those stinkin manuals because they were ritten by layers to pretect themselves".
" Someone told me that....".
" I read that....".

ALL sayings that make me mad. My view is use common sense (if you have any) and be careful.
Old 11-11-2022, 07:20 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxLoser View Post
Well, I’ve had them leak. Thought I had a black tank issue. Smelled terrible. Found one of my little green propane bottles leaking. It can happen, but you’ll smell it before it kills you. Which is nice.

X2, I have had the valve stick and leak on a disposable propane cylinder. Personally I'd leave them in your camper, especially if they have been used.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
Old 06-25-2023, 09:16 AM   #39

This is not what was asked, but might be informative. Never ever refill these small tanks and transport them. US Dept of Transportation has a law prohibiting transport of refilled 1lb tanks. Here is the important part. If someone gets hurt and they find refilled tank, and found guilty, the fine is $500,000 and 5 years in jail. If someone dies, 10 years in jail. Note was not “up to” it was just the numbers.
Old 06-26-2023, 07:54 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
This is not what was asked, but might be informative. Never ever refill these small tanks and transport them. US Dept of Transportation has a law prohibiting transport of refilled 1lb tanks. Here is the important part. If someone gets hurt and they find refilled tank, and found guilty, the fine is $500,000 and 5 years in jail. If someone dies, 10 years in jail. Note was not “up to” it was just the numbers.
Food for thought, you can, however, purchase DOT compliant 1-pound cylinders for refilling....
2019 Jayco Jayflight 28RLS (New York)
The latest government survey finds that 3 out of 4 people account for 75% of the total population.
Closed Thread

Tags
driving safety, propane, propane cylinder