Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-15-2022, 10:59 AM   #1

Furniture, Seating, Pleather Peeling

AZ Expert shares a bit on the problem that a lot of us have discovered.
Not just a Jayco issue, but industry wide.

Skip to 18:00

Old 09-15-2022, 11:34 AM   #2
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by pconroy View Post
AZ Expert shares a bit on the problem that a lot of us have discovered.
Not just a Jayco issue, but industry wide.

Skip to 18:00

Well gee, if the problem began in 2010-2011 and likely became noticeable in 2012-2014 why would Jayco be selling RV's with the problem materials in 2018,2019,2020?
Onyrlef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2022, 05:44 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onyrlef View Post
Well gee, if the problem began in 2010-2011 and likely became noticeable in 2012-2014 why would Jayco be selling RV's with the problem materials in 2018,2019,2020?
I think that problem is industry wide. The country ran out of Naugas to make Naugahyde
Old 09-17-2022, 07:51 PM   #4

So far... we keep knocking on wood in regards to the Pleather Peeling Issue... Our 2015 has held up really well. We thought that our dogs would help contribute to the issue, but that has not been the case either. We appear to have dodged the bullet on our Seneca!
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 08:05 AM   #5

We didn't dodge the bullet. It started peeling right after the warranty was up. And we do not have dogs!
Attached Thumbnails
Recliners.jpg  
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 09:10 AM   #6
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKRUEBBE View Post
We didn't dodge the bullet. It started peeling right after the warranty was up. And we do not have dogs!
We've already recovered both captains seats and the dinette cushions. The jackknife sofa is now looking like something in a crack house and the boards at the overhead bunk are beginning to peel. So next major project is taking both to the landfill where they belong and installing something we can live with.
Old 09-18-2022, 10:23 AM   #7

Our previous 2013 26BH had the pleather seat covering on the dinette and sofa. In 2016, the pleather started flaking off pretty bad on the sofa.

When we sold it and were in search of a newer different model trailer, my wife and I both agreed we would not buy any trailer which had pleather coverings again.

We were quite disappointed in this quality aspect of the trailer. It is not brand specific...if fact I have had two pleather office chairs do the same thing. Last week I purchased a new office chair making sure it was not pleather.
2013 Jayco Jay Flight 26BH (Sold)
CMSgt USAF (Ret)
"GO BLUE". University of Michigan
Explorer03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:31 AM   #8

Just give me some good old fashioned, high quality cloth seats like the ones I had in my XLT F150. Is leather/pleather in a RV the answer to the question nobody asked?

On the sidelines taking it all in.

Jopopsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2022, 10:45 AM   #9
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Explorer03 View Post
Our previous 2013 26BH had the pleather seat covering on the dinette and sofa. In 2016, the pleather started flaking off pretty bad on the sofa.

When we sold it and were in search of a newer different model trailer, my wife and I both agreed we would not buy any trailer which had pleather coverings again.

We were quite disappointed in this quality aspect of the trailer. It is not brand specific...if fact I have had two pleather office chairs do the same thing. Last week I purchased a new office chair making sure it was not pleather.
Wonder how it is that in 2016 Jayco RV owners were experiencing delamination issues but their apologist's claim that when it happens in 2022, "Jayco can't be blamed because they didn't know"?
Old 09-18-2022, 11:36 AM   #10

Quote:
Wonder how it is that in 2016 Jayco RV owners were experiencing delamination issues but their apologist's claim that when it happens in 2022, "Jayco can't be blamed because they didn't know"?
Four or five companies make RV Furniture for most of the RV manufacturers, Jayco, Forest River, Keystone, Winnebago etc, All of them have experienced the same random failures along with several of the high end brands which was addressed in the video that was posted.

Explorer03 said even his home furniture, using the same material, failed in the same manner.

What do you suggest all those manufacturers do to stop the problem?
Old 09-18-2022, 12:42 PM   #11
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

What do you suggest all those manufacturers do to stop the problem?

You must be joking. If I'm manufacturing a product which fails, I'm not going to keep manufacturing it the same way. Are you suggesting there aren't furniture coverings which simulate leather but don't peel and delaminate? If there are ( and there are lots btw.) then what's the problem?
Let me help you, the problem is the mfg'ers can cover their a'ses with language in their warranties and there's no one to hold them to account and as long as they're dispersing large dividends to shareholders, as well as a mob of apologists ready to descend on anyone who questions the practice, they have no incentive to do otherwise.
Old 09-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #12

Quote:
You must be joking. If I'm manufacturing a product which fails, I'm not going to keep manufacturing it the same way. Are you suggesting there aren't furniture coverings which simulate leather but don't peel and delaminate? If there are ( and there are lots btw.) then what's the problem?
And there are lots of RV's, Jayco, Forest River, Keystone and otherwise, where the furniture hasn't failed. There are also rigs where the recliner fails and nothing else does. There are rigs where the Capt's chairs failed or the couch and nothing else in the coach did. So how do you narrow down what batch of material is going to fail and what won't?

It would be a simple problem to fix IF it only affected one brand and or one type of fabric, but that isn't the case. Some dark colors fail, some light colors fail, some textured fail, some smooth fail. Do more failures occur on rigs in the hotter climates or in the colder climates? In the dryer climates or the humid climates?

How or where do you find the common denominator to fix it? That is the question.
Old 09-18-2022, 02:22 PM   #13
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
And there are lots of RV's, Jayco, Forest River, Keystone and otherwise, where the furniture hasn't failed. There are also rigs where the recliner fails and nothing else does. There are rigs where the Capt's chairs failed or the couch and nothing else in the coach did. So how do you narrow down what batch of material is going to fail and what won't?

It would be a simple problem to fix IF it only affected one brand and or one type of fabric, but that isn't the case. Some dark colors fail, some light colors fail, some textured fail, some smooth fail. Do more failures occur on rigs in the hotter climates or in the colder climates? In the dryer climates or the humid climates?

How or where do you find the common denominator to fix it? That is the question.
I think for my part that's enough said on the topic, 'sides the Yankees are playing, have a great rest of the day.
Old 09-18-2022, 04:53 PM   #14

Quote:

It is a simple fix. They simply start using High quality automotive grade upholstery that last for years that is on all automobile seats. Again they are purchasing a product that will only last to get past the 2 year warranty period.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2022, 01:03 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RipinSC View Post
It is a simple fix. They simply start using High quality automotive grade upholstery that last for years that is on all automobile seats. Again they are purchasing a product that will only last to get past the 2 year warranty period.
Exactly!
and
2 Zuchons or ( Beesh&*s) named Maggie and Bullet
silveradoboomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #16

Recovering Captain Seats

Quote:
We've already recovered both captains seats and the dinette cushions. The jackknife sofa is now looking like something in a crack house and the boards at the overhead bunk are beginning to peel. So next major project is taking both to the landfill where they belong and installing something we can live with.
How did you recover your captain seats?
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2022, 12:19 PM   #17
Lost in the Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by hikerjohn7 View Post
How did you recover your captain seats?
Removed both captain seats and had them recovered at a local shop.
Old 09-23-2022, 04:00 AM   #18

Quote:
Removed both captain seats and had them recovered at a local shop.
There you go.

Excellent response.

2005 Jayco GreyHawk Class C
2007 Ford F150
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2022, 04:16 PM   #19

Our 2017 Jayco Envoy 100 also had peeling and flaking on the banquette and sofa seats and seatbacks. We had the old material removed and replaced with marine grade vinyl this year by Dalias Upholstery in Vero Beach, FL. They came to the house, measured the seats, I went to their shop and picked out the fabric and thread, they returned to the house and removed the banquette seats and backs and pulled the entire sofa out to do the work at their shop. Two weeks later they reinstalled everything and they look and feel great. I highly recommend this shop if you are anywhere near the Treasure Coast of Florida.
susan34982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2022, 02:25 PM   #20

Dallas Upholdstery

Quote:
Originally Posted by susan34982 View Post
Our 2017 Jayco Envoy 100 also had peeling and flaking on the banquette and sofa seats and seatbacks. We had the old material removed and replaced with marine grade vinyl this year by Dalias Upholstery in Vero Beach, FL. They came to the house, measured the seats, I went to their shop and picked out the fabric and thread, they returned to the house and removed the banquette seats and backs and pulled the entire sofa out to do the work at their shop. Two weeks later they reinstalled everything and they look and feel great. I highly recommend this shop if you are anywhere near the Treasure Coast of Florida.
Thanks for the tip on Dallas. I might look them up. Do you mind if I ask what ballpark price you think they might charge to re-upholster a typical RV captain's seat?

I just had someone re-upholster my couch in Stuart and it was about three grand. That seemed a bit high to me and I wonder if Dallas' costs would be similar.
hikerjohn7 is offline   Reply With Quote