Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-14-2019, 09:29 PM   #1

Is the Factory Tour Worth going to

While working on my routing for our upcoming 2 month venture back east, I realized we will pass near the Jayco factory in Middlebury, IN.

Thought I would ask the collective if it is worth an overnight stop to see things there?

Thanks.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2019, 10:09 PM   #2

We did the motorized tour a couple years ago when we planned to camp in southwestern MI. We found it informative and interesting to see our class A in it's different stages of assembly.

Don't know what Jayco you have so if trailer, hopefully someone else will chime in!

We also did the RV museum nearby at the RVIA And found it interesting.
Old 04-14-2019, 10:25 PM   #3

We saw trailers being assembled at the Jayco factory and found it interesting. Probably the DW found it less interesting than I did.

Both the DW and I really enjoyed the RV museum in Elkhart, IN. BTW, I believe that museum will still let you boondock in their parking lot if you go through the museum.
Full timing: Some will think you're crazy, some will be envious, just enjoy the freedom!
oldmanAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 03:59 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldmanAZ View Post
We saw trailers being assembled at the Jayco factory and found it interesting. Probably the DW found it less interesting than I did.

Both the DW and I really enjoyed the RV museum in Elkhart, IN. BTW, I believe that museum will still let you boondock in their parking lot if you go through the museum.
x2
robkelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:44 AM   #5

Send a message via Yahoo to frog
YES, It was very informative. you see everything on how walls laminated and all phases of construction. Because most construction done by the Amish they start early and their shift done by 3pm my tour was at 4pm and one on one with a supervisor. Well worth it!
frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 05:15 AM   #6
Site Team

Years back, we were there for a Sunnybrook rally at the fairground. We toured the towable factories of Jayco and 2 more factories. They are all over that area and were very interesting. Back then the Jayco method of making walls was unique and somewhat different than the others.

We enjoyed the experience. The rv museum was also one I would revisit if ever in the area.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 08:12 AM   #7

We found the tour interesting last summer. I would have liked to see them making Jay Flight trailers, but the tour was for the higher end 5'vers, including toy haulers.

Obviously, it's a one off thing, not to be repeated, unless I could view a Jay Flight manufacturing line.

2014 F150 SC, 4x4, HD Pkg, Sterling Gray
Atlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:13 PM   #8

If you spouse is a quilter she will love the area as it abounds in quilting stores and related stuff.

Also, some good Amish style food, crafts, etc. There is a great meat and cheese store in the area that is worth a stop to stock up. Several campgrounds in the area.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 01:17 PM   #9
Site Team

Don't miss the flea market city at Shipshawana either. I saw many meat and cheese shops also within walking distance of the flea markets.
Gator roll-up bed cover
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
Old 04-17-2019, 01:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Don't miss the flea market city at Shipshawana either. I saw many meat and cheese shops also within walking distance of the flea markets.
But remember it's only TUES and WED.
Grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 05:25 AM   #11

To me the tour was worth it in June 2018 but you only get to see the models being built on the line during the time you are there. So you may or may not get to see a model you are interested in. You do get a feel for the process and how each stage of construction takes place. You need to make a reservation ahead of time for the Jayco Motorized tour. Check the Jayco website for numbers and hours of operation. I did not do the tour for TT’s/5ers so someone who has experienced that may be able to provide more detail. Jayco also has a small company store where you can purchase logo items and tour several display models. Enjoy your trip.
Old 04-19-2019, 11:43 AM   #12

Built by Amish

Quote:
Originally Posted by frog View Post
YES, It was very informative. you see everything on how walls laminated and all phases of construction. Because most construction done by the Amish they start early and their shift done by 3pm my tour was at 4pm and one on one with a supervisor. Well worth it!
I used to fall for that line ("mostly built by Amish") but I think I've wised up since I've bought my trailer. Mostly from other posters on this site whom has toured as well as other various videos taken. I don't believe that is the case anymore especially since they have such a large turnover of employees

2016 Jayflight 27BHS
2015 Ford F-250 Super cab LB, 4x4 6.2 L gas
kayakterp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2019, 03:33 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
I used to fall for that line ("mostly built by Amish") but I think I've wised up since I've bought my trailer.
But since many components come from a 3rd party vendor in the area, including all the cabinet doors etc, those factories may be predominantly Amish. So yes it's a stretch, but not un-true. When you take the tour you are just seeing the "assembly line".
Old 04-19-2019, 04:24 PM   #14
Site Team

Also it's worth every penny you pay for it! FREE
Gator roll-up bed cover
Old 04-19-2019, 04:37 PM   #15

We took a factory tour several years ago. It was not Jayco but was assembling smaller (15 to 25 foot) trailers.

What I found interesting was the speed of assembly. It was also interesting to see how they wired it, etc..

A lot of the workers then were Amish looking young men and a few women working on the line.

Shipshewana is a great area to tour, food, shopping, quilting, RV museum and some nice smaller RV parks.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 12:24 PM   #16

We did the tour several years ago when it was family owned Jayco, not since they sold out. It was very interesting...we toured 5ers mostly. Also toured the furniture upholstery area which I understand they now purchase elsewhere. Much more done by manual labor at that time than we expected.
W Kearney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:04 PM   #17

Do it!

We took the motorized plant tour for the Precept line as we had just bought a 2016 Precept 35US. Customer Service rep took us down the assembly line after 2PM, took about 90 minutes from frame to finish. CS Rep was able to answer all my questions and apologized for the king bed mattress. We told him we really liked out mattress, probably in the minority.

The coaches are Amish assembled, you won't find any electric tools on the assembly line.

The furnishings are supplied by third party suppliers and are likely NOT Amish handiwork, at least in my coach. I am a bit surprised that they don't clean up sawdust and debris while assembling a coach.

I recommend the tour, DW also enjoyed it along with another couple with us who did not own and RV at that time.
Old 04-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #18

I appreciate everyones input. I guess I will see where our schedule ends up putting us as the date approaches and go from there. We may opt for the RV industry museum for the free overnight since it doesn't sound like Jayco is anything special anymore....too bad. I used to own a Tiffin....boy they were built, but that was a lot of years ago.
jd99336 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 02:18 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakterp View Post
I used to fall for that line ("mostly built by Amish") but I think I've wised up since I've bought my trailer. Mostly from other posters on this site whom has toured as well as other various videos taken. I don't believe that is the case anymore especially since they have such a large turnover of employees

When we visited both TT and 5 er line, the vast majority were Amish.. I will admit that doesn't mean what it use to, young Amish like young workers many places, may not have the same work ethics that their forefathers had. Turnover, which is not huge, is typically because of better pay somewhere else. With labor being short all across the country due to the booming economy, there is great competition for people.

I found the tours very informative both good and bad wise. Yes the tour mainly covers the assembly of the unit not the fabricating of the components.

As others have mentioned, you have numerous different RV's made in the area and many plants do offer tours, so you can compare if you like.

It's a great part of the country to visit. I use to rep cabinets made in area so I visited it many time.

There is a KOA about 2 miles north of the factories.

Happy Camping !

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 03:56 PM   #20

DO IT!!!!! I went there a year and a half ago and found it mind boggling at the level of engineering and assembly sophistication that happens in that place. However DO NOT expect free take home samples... lol
Vince Mack is offline   Reply With Quote