Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-25-2019, 10:08 AM   #21

Send a message via Skype™ to ALJO
I have to agree with Grumpy and FPM III, because the directive is Jayco, while it is a industry wide problem.
Consumers have it all in their hand by doing proper research. If the mass consumer don't buy, the RV industry will smarten up. But it is hard to deal with customer "Must Have" and corporate "Greed". The small individual (Mom and Pop and family) business wouldn't get away with this. Doing PDI's I have seen very kind people and also "Monsters". The latest one fell over a speck of road dust on an outside trim (even the partner walked away from the PDI). But 98% where the kind ones.
Pro Series 1200 lbs. WDH with Double Sway Bar.
Champion 3100/2800 watt Inverter/Generator-Onboard Solar Power
ALJO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:02 AM   #22

I did not have hours to spend at the dealer when I bought mine to do a pdi.Im sure its the same for others.

Yes mine had problems also but will get the bugs worked out.
mokurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:38 AM   #23

Hey guys and gals. Here's our take on the whole thing. May 2019 we took delivery on a North Point. We were told the inspector did a complete check of all systems. Our bad to listen. However, this was our fifth RV and in the previous four have had hardly anything wrong, until this one. We were told the propane systems were checked and were turned off due to safety reasons. Well, shame on us for not checking the stove, oven, etc. We could go on about the problems, which are almost all fixed after 18 months, but if we had done the checks ourselves and not believed anyone we would have been a lot happier. All we can say is check EVERYTHING! The fireplace worked but didn't heat. The shower faucet was touchy. Things leaked. Hook up everything and spend the night in it. Open doors, cabinets, panels and look for kinked lines and wiring laying on hot stuff. Fill all the tanks and let the sit overnight. So, for us four out of five isn't bad. However, when the bad one is your most recent you feel taken.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 11:56 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill obenour View Post
Marysville ohio.
Then you should definitely go to Elkhart and have the factory repair everything. Closer and better. 2 hours instead of 8.
Old 11-25-2019, 12:12 PM   #25

What I find interesting is that in most cases the customer will sign a form with words to the effect

"I acknowledge that I have been given the opportunity to inspect the RV, take a test drive (if applicable), and make notations in the space provided. I observed and received satisfactory explanations about all items listed above. Items found needing attention ..."

The wording is from the form I was required to sign and the dealer was required to send back to Jayco (unitfile@jayco.com).

The note at the top of the form reads

"All items must be initialed by customer, in the dealer's presence, indicating performance or instructions as required. The customer will please initial or put NA (Not Applicable) for each item as it is explained by the dealer."

These words are on a 4 page, standard Entegra/Jayco form that lists every major system or item and what was to be demonstrated or inspected. For instance on my form for exterior the customer was to be shown how to lift the hood, location of chassis battery, where the DEF tank was located etc... The interior included operation of all slides, lights, control panels, entertainment systems, cabinets, drawers etc...

After we did our PDI on the Accolade we walked away and refused to sign until certain items were repaired and conditions were met. It took the dealer a week to get things right. The dealer even tried the "we'll deliver it to you' tactic to get us to accept the coach before it was ready but we weren't playing that game.

If someone signs that form and drives away without performing the inspection or receiving the instruction then, IMO, they are part of the problem and in no way shape or form a victim.
2019 Jeep Grand Cherokee Trailhawk TOAD
EA37TS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 02:07 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincinnati Kid View Post
Then you should definitely go to Elkhart and have the factory repair everything. Closer and better. 2 hours instead of 8.
X-2
Old 11-25-2019, 02:09 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
X-2
X-3! Lol!
Lake Huron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 03:55 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill obenour View Post
yes. i now know that this unit was special ordered by someone and never sold. possibly because of problems. i believe the dealer was aware of the issues.
You may want to be sure and mention this to Jayco Customer service when you communicate with them. Something smells about unloading the rig on you without addressing the problems that contributed to the original customer rejecting it.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:03 PM   #29

Bill, what specific HT model did you buy?
There are several of us here that may have the same unit and might be able to give you better advice if we do.
2020 Eagle HT 30.5 CKTS Modern Farmhouse (16" wheels, spring shackles set on lower hole of frame, SumoSprings TSS-107-40, standard kingpin, B&W Companion slider, TST-507 TPMS, Progressive Industries hardwired 50A EMS HW-50C)
2019 F250 SRW SuperCab 4X4 SB 6.2 (10,000# GVW) 3.73 Axle 18" wheels
Nature Ist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 04:14 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by mokurt View Post
I did not have hours to spend at the dealer when I bought mine to do a pdi.Im sure its the same for others.

Yes mine had problems also but will get the bugs worked out.

It's kinda like the money thing. Buy qood quality stuff and pay more or pay the technician to keep coming back to fix it.
What is your time worth dealing with issues and hauling the rig to and from the repair centers versus spending it on the PDI?

We spent over 4 hours going over our PDI and when we got home, hardly and any problems other than a few minor things.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 07:16 PM   #31

26.5 rlds. after working on it all day testing wiring i know that it is in the roof of the side out.my short went away but lost power to other lights an led dimmer switch is fried. i will take out the ceiling .for those who have posted about pdi inspections. i took 61/2 hours on this one. .lol. should have took 10hrs. thanks for all insights from everyone.
bill obenour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:06 PM   #32

If I was a newb reading this thread this would be my take:

You must accomplish the equivalent of the manufacturer's and dealer's final QC inspection on any new RV prior to taking delivery. The "training" needed to properly accomplish this QC inspection (an inspection that can take 4-8 hours if done properly) is provided by other RV owners in forums like this. There is no test or way to gauge whether you've been trained properly. If you elect not to do (or didn't know you had to do) this QC inspection (or simply missed an "obvious" item or two), you may find yourself receiving very little sympathy or understanding from some RV owners. Why? You should have known better.

What is wrong with this picture??? Wow!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 08:30 PM   #33
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
It's hard to lighten up when "JAYCO BASHING" is a no no and his first post is basically doing just that. The vast majority of his problems should have all been caught before the unit even left the lot. Just my 3 cents...inflation
Sorry I'm only getting to respond to this now. I was out most of the day.

Maybe I'm missing something here, and if I am, please enlighten me. Here's the scenario as I see it:

A gentleman purchases a new fifth-wheel, brings it home and then the excited new owner starts checking out his new rig; only to uncover a laundry list of problems with it. He finds JOF on the web and registers, hoping to find some help with all the issues with his rig. Shorty afterwards, he makes his first post consisting mainly of all the problems he's uncovered. After listing all his problems, he concludes his post with "i am not a happy jayco custumer. they must have no quality inspections.". And that's considered "Bashing"? Surely you jest.

The post discloses no information as to the RV experience of the owner or whether this is his first or 21st RV he's owned.

While any mention of a PDI was missing from the first post, it's not important because when you're paying beaucoup bucks for a something, you expect a quality product; PDI or not.

Truthfully, I applaud this new member's ability to maintain his level of calmness considering the disappointments he's experienced thus far.

TV: 2009 GMC Sierra 2500HD | Crew Cab | Std. Box | 4WD | Duramax/Allison
RV: 2000 Jayco Eagle 266 | FBS | TT
PREVIOUS: 1986 Coleman Laramie pop-up -- Still in the family!!!

FPM III is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 05:49 AM   #34

thank you for the post. Im working hard to stay cool.
Old 11-26-2019, 09:02 AM   #35

May I ask if you paid for dealer prep.

Traded: 2018 RAM 3500 DRW, 4X4, 4.10, 6.4 Hemi, Curt A20 hitch, Tire Minder

2018 North Point 315rlts with most of the options.
JohnWedell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:08 AM   #36

As a new owner myself I was not prepared for buying my TT. I thought the 500 I paid for an inspection was a ripoff. Not knowing how very important this is. The front part of the business was very calm but when I went back to the shop area it was an ant nest of activity. To my eyes it was mass confusion. I realize this is were all the work happens. The person that took me on my tour inspection really didn’t know what she was talking about. As an example she told me the AC wall unit controlled the heat ( was not a heat pump) when I asked her what the thermostat on the wall did she was stumped. With that said I’ve found a lot of comfort and good advice on this forum hopefully Bill will say the same. But remember some of us have no idea what we’re getting into.
Raven614 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:19 AM   #37
Site Team

snip...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven614 View Post
With that said I’ve found a lot of comfort and good advice on this forum hopefully Bill will say the same. But remember some of us have no idea what we’re getting into.
We're so glad to hear you're happy with this community! We've all been newbies in the uncharted waters of RV's, at one point or another. BUT...now you have a wealth of experience and advice at your fingertips here.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 10:58 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siamese View Post
Yeah, the salesman did his job, so he's out of the loop now. Couldn't help you even if he/she wanted to.

Dealer service manager and Jayco are the players now.
Thats not always true, my salesman was my only contact after delivery. I only had three warranty issues, contacted my salesman he said take a few pictures and email them to me. In less than two weeks the warranty parts arrived each time, this saved me a 140 mile trip to the dealer.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2019, 06:06 PM   #39

yes.400.00
Old 11-26-2019, 06:23 PM   #40
CAG

I read these threads and people say they just did not have the time to stick around and do a PDI. What? You just dropped umteen thousand dollars on a rig and did not find the time to do a decent PDI?

These problems are universal. I just sold a brand of another kind and the complaints for the last 9 years that I have been on the web site have been the same. Poor workmanship. So do a PDI, and if you don't shame on you and then shut up and don't complain. You failed to do due diligence.
CAG is offline   Reply With Quote