Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-15-2018, 01:10 PM   #21

We have had are 16 Eagle 321 RSTS for 27 months and still are waiting for final warranty check list to be completed.I believe Jayco wants to move product.And are experience has been warranty work is of little priority to Jayco once you leave the lot.
Attached Thumbnails
Kaibab8-16.jpg  
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 03:46 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.D.keathley View Post
How long does a Jayco have a warranty for? And do you have to take it to Jayco specifically or will camping world work?
Warranty is for 2 years.
Because there is a CW 6 minutes away from my house (Jayco Dealer is a 1 hour drive) I have had the warranty work done at CW. Jayco said I could have this CW do my warranty work because they are a StarCraft dealer and StarCraft is a subsidiary to Jayco.
Never had any scheduling issues.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2018, 05:02 PM   #23

As everyone says, 2 year warranty. Now, if a non-Jayco item has a 1 year warranty, then Jayco will pick up the 2nd year. This was told to me by a Jayco employee at the Jayco Masters I attended in November 2017.
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:29 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbarlag View Post
As everyone says, 2 year warranty. Now, if a non-Jayco item has a 1 year warranty, then Jayco will pick up the 2nd year. This was told to me by a Jayco employee at the Jayco Masters I attended in November 2017.
Yep it all sounds good but in our experience getting the warranty done is nearly impossible.We are almost 4 months out of warranty, still fighting to get final list complete!
Attached Thumbnails
BB.Flag 2008 Pinegrove.jpg  
Old 01-16-2018, 10:38 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Yep it all sounds good but in our experience getting the warranty done is nearly impossible.We are almost 4 months out of warranty, still fighting to get final list complete!
Jayco can only authorize warranty work unless you bring it to Jayco's facility. it is the DEALER YOU have choosen that is the delay. A good part of that delay is beyond their capability to get qualified techs. In fact ALL the trades are having great difficulty in obtaining qlualified employees.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 11:00 AM   #26

Exactly and that's what they have been doing for years and years! And getting away with it. Smiling all the way to the bank.In are business of property management.The story of lack of qualified help would not fly. The state would come pull my license! And that is why we get repairs done in 10 days or less.Shut a couple of these dealers down.Things would change fast!
Attached Thumbnails
Sunset Mtn..jpg  
Old 01-16-2018, 04:35 PM   #27

[QUOTE=bdreinv;600771]Exactly and that's what they have been doing for years and years! And getting away with it. Smiling all the way to the bank.In are business of property management.The story of lack of qualified help would not fly. The state would come pull my license! And that is why we get repairs done in 10 days or less.Shut a couple of these dealers down.Things would change fast![/QUOTE

Jayco has no control over a dealer anymore than any other product sold by a retailer. I also live in Az and the couple of times I needed warranty service I went to Little Dealer Little Price (whom I did NOT purchase my TT from) and had very timely response to our issues. I would never take an issue to anyone that I could repair myself. I also have an independant service company that I take my TT for service I don't want to do myself.

Since it appers you think the lack of available help as not an issue, I had a dealer I know that advertised all last summer for a HS kid Starting at $15 an hour and got ZERO responces. He even advertised around the local HS. Sadly today people don't want to do "dirty" work. It's been a trend for the last 30 40 years. I had a heck of a time hiring anyone, that I was willing to train to work in my Cabinet shop. For over 25 years I always had a help wanted sign, as did most of my neighbors, with little response.

Techs today are making upwards of $30 an hour and i don't know a single RV company not hiring. It's a major issue.

The good thing is, only about 15% of RV's sold account for the bulk of the warranty "Issues". The vast majority of owners have little issues.

wags999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 06:17 PM   #28

[QUOTE=wags999;600861]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bdreinv View Post
Exactly and that's what they have been doing for years and years! And getting away with it. Smiling all the way to the bank.In are business of property management.The story of lack of qualified help would not fly. The state would come pull my license! And that is why we get repairs done in 10 days or less.Shut a couple of these dealers down.Things would change fast![/QUOTE

Jayco has no control over a dealer anymore than any other product sold by a retailer. I also live in Az and the couple of times I needed warranty service I went to Little Dealer Little Price (whom I did NOT purchase my TT from) and had very timely response to our issues. I would never take an issue to anyone that I could repair myself. I also have an independant service company that I take my TT for service I don't want to do myself.

Since it appers you think the lack of available help as not an issue, I had a dealer I know that advertised all last summer for a HS kid Starting at $15 an hour and got ZERO responces. He even advertised around the local HS. Sadly today people don't want to do "dirty" work. It's been a trend for the last 30 40 years. I had a heck of a time hiring anyone, that I was willing to train to work in my Cabinet shop. For over 25 years I always had a help wanted sign, as did most of my neighbors, with little response.

Techs today are making upwards of $30 an hour and i don't know a single RV company not hiring. It's a major issue.

The good thing is, only about 15% of RV's sold account for the bulk of the warranty "Issues". The vast majority of owners have little issues.
In Arizona we have some of the largest RV dealers in the nation. Doesn't seem to make much difference.Bad for me I must be in the 15% again.Two new campers one in 06 and one in 16.Same issues must be bad luck. Do really appreciate input. Thanks Again
Attached Thumbnails
100_0357.1584.jpg  
Old 01-21-2018, 05:05 PM   #29

Any reputable RV / Trailer service shop will do the work. They like to make money, either from the sale or from the service.

Let's look at this in reality.... Say you buy the RV/trailer from XYZ dealer in, say, Chicago. But you happen to be camping in Wyoming. The shop you may have to take it to will not be the selling dealer, but you can still get it serviced. It may not even be the dealer of your brand, but you can get it serviced. many components are standardized among different RV / trailer brands. Only chassis and basic shell construction is the major difference. Any shop that works on RV's and TT's can do the work.

Even with the bumper to bumper 2 year warranty, that doesn't negate the component warranties. Dometic, Norcold, Atwood, etc all have their own warranties on their components irregardless of what Jayco or anyone else has.

The idea that one must buy from their local dealer to get service and warranty work is a scare tactic used by dealers to get the sale. When you buy something, the warranty is not with the dealer, it is with the manufacturer. Any warranty work, no matter who does it, will have to be approved by the manufacturer.
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 05:58 AM   #30

I'm thinking that others out there may be interested in the reply that I received from Jayco when I inquired about why my local Camping World was able to tell me that my warranty service would not be a priority for them unless I bought my TT from them. Here it is:

"Thank you for your inquiry and for your interest in Jayco.
As part of our working relationship, all Jayco dealers have agreed to perform warranty work on Jayco products regardless of where the RV was purchased. Most dealers will do so, but many will give first priority to their own customers.

It may be helpful to you to know that you may elect to have warranty work done at any reputable RV dealer. If they are not an authorized Jayco dealer, they simply need to contact our customer service department (800-283-8267) to obtain a formal authorization prior to beginning any repairs that will be covered under your Jayco warranty."

So, if I'm on the road and need service, I will take it wherever is most convenient, but you can be darn sure that I won't be taking it to the Camping World here in Albuquerque.
Fyouberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #31

One should always ask themselves.... "if the dealer is using that warranty scare tactic to complete the sale, is that a dealer I should be doing business with?"
Old 01-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fyouberg View Post
When the sales manager of the Camping World here in Albuquerque found out that I was going to buy my TT from a Camping World dealer over in Oklahoma, he threatened me with what he called "second level" service meaning that customers that bought their unit here would always have preference in service scheduling. I'm contacting Jayco to determine if they are aware of and allow this type of discrimination from Camping World.
Jayco (and other) dealers will ALWAYS give preferential service to customers that bought the rig from them. Most ALL dealers go by this rule. Not just CW. This is something to keep in mind when buying a trailer far away to save money, but then want/expect local service. RV dealers are booming and there is a shortage of RV techs. Scheduling repairs can be months out. These dealerships are independently owned and operated, so they can do what they want.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:01 AM   #33

Heck, I've had the same thing happen to me with car dealers. It is all dependent on the service manager.

I have had good luck with the El Paso Camping World. Yes, scheduling an appt with them is not a short term thing, usually 2 to 3 weeks out. Once in there they get the work done quickly. And, yes, they are short of qualified techs which means a long wait time to get things done.

Like stated above, you can take your rig anywhere to get warranty work done. It is up to that shop to do the legwork to get the warranty payment. Many cases they won't do that and leave it to you.

That is also not that difficult. Contact Jayco about the problem. Go to a shop to get an assessment/quote. Send the info to Jayco. They will tell you what they will pay. You may have to pay a balance.

FWIW, this is common with other vehicles as well. If you do not have access to a dealer for your car, warranty work can be done at a non-dealer facility. It does take some extra legwork and documentation which some shops will not do.
Maggie, Old English Sheepdog
vcbice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:10 AM   #34

Really seems stupid though. They get the same shop rate no matter who's RV or trailer they are working on. Should be a first come first served basis. They are making the same money either way. It is true, they can do whatever they want. But then, not very many RV / Trailer dealerships are great business models. This kind of thing does not guarantee that a current customer will be a repeat customer, and it can drive a potential customer away.

And many times, a person that needs some sort of service is not near their home area or dealer anyway.

Is it any wonder than many RV / TT dealers give the industry a bad name.
Old 01-22-2018, 08:28 AM   #35

I'm sure alittle understanding going both ways, customer-dealer, dealer-customer, would go a long way. It's very true that most RV dealers are swamped (I know from daily experience
sbarlag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #36

Sadly there are probably more dealers than not that use this 'sales' tactic.

We had bought a Nomad TT from a local dealer and we had very little problems getting in for serice when needed.

When we were ready to travel longer distances and months traveling we narrowed our choices down to the Pinnacle and one other...both available at the same dealer where we purchased the Nomad.

We sold the Nomad ourselves so there was no trade in any negotiations. Wasn't satisfied with their offer so started looking at other dealers that handled the same products we were interested in. Found out there were many better deals...same product and same options. I also knew that Jayco would authorize warranty work at any dealer...even non-Jayco dealers and Mobile repair techs.

A month later went to an annual RV Show at home and again tried to negotiate a purchase as a former customer but their offer had not changed. Told them they were high...way to high!! They said 'how high are we'? I replied you give me your best price and I'll make the decision. They came bacl $1,500 less. We said thanks and got up to leave and then the 'service scare tactic' came up!!!

When we got home called the dealer that I chose to make a deal with and about an hour later after a couple of paperwork email ordered our Pinnacle...all seamless!

Our rig came in to them and we scheduled pickup. A couple weeks later we made a 477 mile fun trip to SoCal and saved $7,000.

Warranty work? Jayco authorized anywhere by anyone of our choosing.

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 09:08 AM   #37

Yeah, if it was a matter of a few hundred bucks or even a thousand, staying local on the buy may be alright. I always factor what trans cost would be from plant to each dealer and include that in my base line. For instance, a dealer in, say, Michigan might have the exact same trailer that a local dealer in Iowa has, but is selling for $1500 less than the Iowa dealer. Well given that the dealer in Iowa is about 400 miles from the plant compared to the dealer in Michigan being roughly 45 miles from the plant, it makes a bit of a difference. I use $2 a mile for my figures. So the Iowa dealer trans cost would be ballpark $800 whereas the Michigan dealer's cost is $90. So the price spread shouldn't be over $1000, max, factoring in my cost from Iowa to Michigan if I go get that one. And you can get a general base line of what dealers across the nation are asking for a trailer on RV trader. The Iowa dealer would have to come in no more than $1000 for the same exact trailer that the Michigan dealer is selling, or I head to Michigan to buy. This all is just an example, but gives the general idea of how to go about things.

If a local dealer wants to make the sale, they have to play the game fairly and not control the deck.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:25 AM   #38

You could look at it 2 ways, Is it really a scare tactic? Or are they just being honest in telling you that customers that bought the rig here come first for service.
Old 01-22-2018, 10:41 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by jloco View Post
You could look at it 2 ways, Is it really a scare tactic? Or are they just being honest in telling you that customers that bought the rig here come first for service.

What it is is bad business!

2012 Pinnacle 36KPTS - Kitchen Pantry Triple Slide
Mor/Ryde suspension and pin box, Dual pane windows, Auto Leveling System, 2 A/C's, Sailun G's and more...
View photos

Our Trip Journal
Larry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2018, 10:46 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry G. View Post
What it is is bad business!
Agreed.