Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-08-2019, 07:26 PM   #21

I once bought a brand new car that had transportation damage. The dealer fixed it, but it didn't hold up. I bought brand new but got second hand. The car was problems all the time I owned it.

Forget the long drive. Call them on the phone and insist they send you the refundable deposit by express mail. Don't waste your time looking at it.

Cheaper isn't always better. It usually costs more in the long run. Whatever damage was incurred, you can be sure it wasn't fixed right, and its only the tip of the iceberg. Its the other un-noticable damage that will ruin your camping future.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 08:01 PM   #22

I strongly agree with the above. Run away. It would be very interesting to know if this is being covered as a Jayco warranty or if the dealer is fixing it at the dealers cost. One way to find out for sure, is ask the dealer for the VIN number, then call Jayco and tell them what is happening and ask if this VIN number is being repaired under Jayco Warranty. Be interesting what Jayco says.

Another thing, if you really like one color, don't settle for another color unless you know beyond a doubt you will be happy with it.

2012 Ford Expedition EL
2016 28BHBE, Elite and Thermal Packages.
Equal-i-zer 4-point Sway Control, Southwire 34930 Surge Guard 30A, Tire Minder TPMS A1A
(2) Yamaha EF2000iS Generators, Micro-Air EasyStart™ 364 (3-ton) Soft Start, Garmin RV 890, GoodYear Endurance ST225/75-15 Load Range E
RAurand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:16 PM   #23

They sent me some pictures. What do you guys think??? Looks like somehow the awning got smashed into the side but does appear minor I think. The also sent a few pictures around the trailer.

Dealer is Broadmoor RV in Pasco. They appear to have great reviews on service and sales.
Attached Thumbnails
6368280638106026720.jpg   6368280638106026721.jpg  
Trippy1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 09:44 PM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Based on the awning arm (both arms??) pics it appears there was some kind of impact took place "somewhere" with the awning assembly. What the pics don't show is was there any damage to the awning fabric tube assembly, fabric attachment to gutter rail, gutter rail pulled from wall, etc.. If something caught the awning tube (awning either extended or retracted) it could create what the pics reflect.

IMO you need to get your eyes on the TT to come to a conclusion on what your really dealing with.

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2019, 10:37 PM   #25

I agree with Rustic.....get your eyes on it and go with your gut feel at that point. IMHO, I don't trust the dealer now and would get my 1K deposit back.

Happy RVing,
Jeff
Best friend wife, Di, and dog Cooper. RETIRED
havnfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:39 AM   #26

Yeah I agree. Without seeing it in person it's hard to make a solid decision. My gut was saying to cancel, but after seeing those pictures I'm not sure. Doesn't look terrible, maybe if it had been dented all the way to the bottom ridge. I just can't tell without seeing it in person.

He did send me some other exterior photos. I'll attatch them. Let me know if you see anything that stands out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_2610.jpg   IMG_2611.jpg   IMG_2613.jpg  
Old 03-09-2019, 03:16 AM   #27

If they are willing to send pictures, have they come clean with the source of the damage? I think if they haven’t already told you what happened, they are probably hiding something, transparency is key in this incident.

Why have they not told you what caused the damage?

2011 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins
2012 Starcraft Autumn Ridge 297 BHS
Flyrotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 06:04 AM   #28

Just curious...why did you go all the way out to Pasco when you're so close to Seattle, Tacoma, even to Portland? I'm sure you have your reasons but it seems like an awful long way to drag your trailer for warranty work or whatever else might come up. Not second-guessing you my friend but just look where you are standing right now - you really need to get a good look at the trailer but it's so far away it's a gross inconvenience. Maybe this is a blessing in disguise for you.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 09:02 AM   #29

Whether you look at it or not, just be advised that you are getting a damaged trailer. No matter how good it looks after they repair it, you won't know if there was other damage, or if the repair was faulty, until after the warranty ends and the roof starts to leak.

Since you are trying to buy a new trailer, but are getting a repaired unit, you better be sure that the selling price is closer to what a used trailer would go for.

Just my opinion.
Old 03-09-2019, 11:04 AM   #30

Man......... I was thinking the photos of the damage wasn't very bad, and was feeling okay with going forward.

Is warranty work only done at the purchasing dealer? I totally understand if the repair work isn't being done under warranty that Jayco may not honor the repair, which is scary. But for other warranty work, do I have to take it to the dealer I bought from? Or can I go to the more local dealer?

Reason for going to Pasco was a couple things. One was price. This places prices prices across the board seemed way lower than anyone near. And while price isn't always key, we had a budget we wanted to stick to, and nobody else came close.

The other reasons were we kinda liked the idea of a road trip to get it. It seemed like a lot if people will travel to go get a trailer, I was under the impression this was normal. 5 hours didnt seem to far compared to others. And this place has great reviews, I figured there wouldn't be any problems.

Now there is. Not so much with the dealership, a little bit. But mostly with the trailer.

I don't feel like the damage in the picture is all that bad. BUT, as some of you said... is there possibly hidden damage somewhere else? If not, no big deal... but if so... ugh, could be a big deal.

And there is the part about paying new price for a repaired trailer.... unfortunately I can't even find a used trailer of the same model to compare pricing.

My nearest Jayco dealership... the salesman I originally spoke to ended up leaving me with a bad feeling about both him and the dealership. They also have pretty bad service reviews. I have since spoken with a different sales rep, but his price is still $2,000 more than these guys and our budget...

Would you guys likely buck up the extra two grand for a trailer hopefully with less damage from a sucky service dealership?
Old 03-09-2019, 11:38 AM   #31

You purchased a NEW trailer, it is sure to have enough punch list items needing repair let alone some additional damage obviously caused by an impact. I would insist that they give you the other similar trailer on the lot for the same price or tell them that you are backing out of the deal. My guess is they will sell you the other trailer rather than lose the deal, and eventually sell the damaged trailer after repair to some other poor unsuspecting buyer.
2015 EZ-GO TXT Golf Cart
South Jersey
K9Nardu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 12:39 PM   #32

You're likely right K9, along with others.

I did make sure to mention that we may instead be interested in the other trailers with the different charcoal interior. He did say if that's what we wanted he could certainly do that, then "assured me" that when they are done the trailer will look "brand spanking new."

Typing that I just realized the keywords "will LOOK." But... will it BE, a brand spanking new trailer? Hmm..... maybe not huh?

We love the truffle interior (dark brown). But we do also like the charcoal (gray). The main difference is we worried with the charcoal about dirt and stains from kids and dogs being an issue. Which is why we ultimately went with truffle.
Old 03-09-2019, 12:51 PM   #33

Do the side panels get built from the bottom up, or from the top down? I'm thinking.... if it's the top to the bottom, then possibly no messing with the roof seal.

But if they have to take the top pieces off to get to these lower pieces.... ugh... well... they'll have to mess with the roof seal, as well as I'm seeing pull the awning, windows, vents, door handle, maybe door frame...

Now I'm realizing what's all really involved.... yeah it may actually only be minor cosmetic damage and nothing hidden... but they really have to take apart the whole side of the trailer to replace those side panels don't they? Groovy............ ugh.....

Being an Autobody guy, the process doesn't bother me, but having to worry if they sealed all the windows, doors, vents, and awning mounts... that kinda does....

Minor cosmetic damage.... major trailer teardown.... Am I wrong?
Old 03-09-2019, 02:00 PM   #34

I sympathize with you — I’ve been in similar spots with other purchases. It seems to me you have three choices:
1. Follow through with the repaired trailer and hope for the best. At the least, I’d tell them they need to knock more off the price or walk away. Still a gamble.
2. Swap for the “new” charcoal interior trailer at the same price and sleep well at night.
3. Cancel and find the color you want in a trailer that is “new” at another dealer knowing it may cost you a little more.

I’m a lousy gambler, so choice 1 would be out for me, regardless of price. Having problems later, or worrying that I might, isn’t worth saving a couple grand. Good luck!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2019, 02:49 PM   #35

To answer a few of your questions:

- It's not like buying a Chevy and having it repaired at a different dealer. Many (most) RV dealers won't bother with you if you blew them off in the first place. Now, if you move to CA from NY a local dealer might be more sympathetic.
- Actually, I DID buy a Jayco from a dealer with a sucky all-around reputation. It wasn't their cheap price either. I knew up front that if it needed warranty work it was never going back to that place ever again.
- RV aluminum siding is installed opposite of a stick built house. It starts at the top and works down.
- Minor damage or major teardown? Who knows? The studs are like toothpicks - did the "minor" bump split one? If so, did they tear it out or simply nail a metal mending plate on it and call it a day? If they replaced it did they damage the roof membrane?

We have 2 RVs - a 2015 and a 1964. One is built like a brick shed house, the other like a balsa wood toy model. I'm sure glad I don't have to pull the '15 down the highway on bumpy roads. I don't know what the design service life is, but I sure see a lot of people trading in units that are only a few years old. The fact that our '64 is still in use is testimony to generations past.

Sorry to be a naysayer, but i just want you to get a clear picture so you can make an informed choice. Surely, if you buy it you might actually enjoy many years of trouble-free service.
Old 03-10-2019, 09:46 PM   #36

Well, we've pretty much decided on two options.

I talked to a different, less pushy salesman at my local Jayco dealer, after seeing an ad for their "Price Match Guarantee."

Well, they still couldn't price match, they were still $1600 higher, with a trailer that had a couple less options than the out if town ones. My wife said no, she'd rather take the road trip to save ~$1400 (after fuel/food), and get a trailer with a different color and the right options. So.... we're going to Pasco.

But my two options:

#1: We do thorough inspection and test of all components on the side, ask for a copy of any work order they had. And if the repair both is unnoticeable and doesn't affect the warranty, we'll go for it.... IF, they lower the price some. Doesn't make sense paying the same price as an identical trailer (except interior) that wasn't damaged. If they don't, or we dont like it, we move to the Charcoal interior trailer or walk

#2: We go for the Charcoal interior. We like the Truffle more, but having the chance if hidden damage is a little unnerving. Not totally, but a little.

All I know is I'll have to be 100% satisfied with the repaired trailer to continue with it. If I'm 99% then I'm moving to the charcoal.
Old 03-10-2019, 10:27 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trippy1313 View Post
Well, we've pretty much decided on two options.

I talked to a different, less pushy salesman at my local Jayco dealer, after seeing an ad for their "Price Match Guarantee."

Well, they still couldn't price match, they were still $1600 higher, with a trailer that had a couple less options than the out if town ones. My wife said no, she'd rather take the road trip to save ~$1400 (after fuel/food), and get a trailer with a different color and the right options. So.... we're going to Pasco.

But my two options:

#1: We do thorough inspection and test of all components on the side, ask for a copy of any work order they had. And if the repair both is unnoticeable and doesn't affect the warranty, we'll go for it.... IF, they lower the price some. Doesn't make sense paying the same price as an identical trailer (except interior) that wasn't damaged. If they don't, or we dont like it, we move to the Charcoal interior trailer or walk

#2: We go for the Charcoal interior. We like the Truffle more, but having the chance if hidden damage is a little unnerving. Not totally, but a little.

All I know is I'll have to be 100% satisfied with the repaired trailer to continue with it. If I'm 99% then I'm moving to the charcoal.
Sounds like you have a plan, but the non-honoring of the “price match guarantee” sounds like flat out false advertising. Did you take it above the salesman to the manager? Perhaps tell him you’re inclined to warn others on Facebook or his web page about their “guarantee.” A guarantee should be just that.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2019, 10:48 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Sounds like you have a plan, but the non-honoring of the “price match guarantee” sounds like flat out false advertising. Did you take it above the salesman to the manager? Perhaps tell him you’re inclined to warn others on Facebook or his web page about their “guarantee.” A guarantee should be just that.
Yeah, I asked about it. They "don't include freight charge differences."

Which I found ridiculous that somehow theirs is STILL $1600 more while the other has about $800 more in options. So really we're talking $2400 difference in apples to apples.

No way its $1600 more for 200 miles. But whatever. I think they must have a HIGH overhead.

Edit: that post seems much grumpier than I am about it. It is meant more in a sarcastic tone. Lol.
Old 03-11-2019, 06:16 AM   #39

One more "just curious" question...what's the deets my friend? It's a Jay Flight SLX, right?. And from the colors I'm assuming it's a 2019. But which model and with what options? What is the out-the-door price? Also, did you order or is it one on the lot?

We ordered an Eagle HT in February (we'll have it in April). We have 3 Jayco dealers within an hour or so of us. We are not at all close to any population centers but if we expand our buying radius to 3 hours it opens up many more dealers. We could have traveled the three hours and saved $1500 or so, or we could have bought off the lot and saved more than that but people walk through those trailers, stretch out on the bed with shoes on, touch stuff, fart on the sofa, slam things, poke and prod - all that. It's "lot rot". So we went to the local guy we have a prior relationship with and paid a little more - buy once, cry once - for the trailer we want the way we want it. I'm sure I'll have to hitch up and drag it to him for things - at least the annual inspection, maybe warranty things (hopefully not) - but it's just a bit over an hour so I can leave at 9 and be back before noon. Same with going back for it.

Not saying my friend but I'm an old guy and I've learned down through the years the importance of a good long game. You finance an extra $2400 over 5 years it's $40 a month. If you're so close to the bone $40 is going to make or break you you probably shouldn't be looking at a trailer in the first place. Otherwise you have to take into consideration every time you make a trip to the dealer you'll be hitching up, loading up the wife and kids, and driving 5 hours, just to drop the trailer and drive another 5 hours back home. Then you'll repeat the process when you go to pick it up. That could make for some testiness, and if you're at all like me (human) you'll regret that $2400 savings every time you jump through that 5 hour flaming hoop.

You said "advice" - mine is convenience over cost every single time. Paying more is an acute condition but inconvenience is chronic.
KillerIsMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 06:59 AM   #40

Sounds like to me that shopping for one is more fun that actually buying it.

There's lots of buyer remorse in the RV biz.

If you want one... go buy it today.