Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-26-2020, 08:06 AM   #1

Question on Jayco Eagle Satisfaction

Hi all,

My wife and I looked at a Jayco Eagle 28.5 rsts yesterday. We really liked it and I thought the interior construction of the walls and most items was a little higher than other brands we've looked at.

The unit was a new 2020 on the lot. I looked underneath and I thought there was a fairly high amount of surface rust on almost the entire undercarriage. Further, the corrugated covering across the bottom was misshapen more than I've seen on other trailer/units.

We looked at reviews on rvinsider and man, people there slammed the Jaycos for everything from electrical issues to water in the walls issues and on and on. Most said Jayco customer service wasn't helpful and wouldn't honor the warranty.

I'm not concerned with items Jayco buys from vendors like TVs, water heaters, refrigerators and such. I'm more concerned with the overall construction of the unit.

I'm curious about the opinions of owners on this forum. Are you happy with your purchase and has your unit been reliable?

Thank you
Rumple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 09:00 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Rumple,

Welcome to JOF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumple View Post
snip......I'm curious about the opinions of owners on this forum. Are you happy with your purchase and has your unit been reliable?
Thank you
Here are a couple JOF member polls that may be helpful to your question:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ral-10057.html

Initial Quality Poll:

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...l-31120-7.html

Bob

2016 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4.10
2018 Jay Flight 24RBS
2002 GM 2500HD 6.0L/4:10 (retired)
2005 Jayco Eagle 278FBS (retired)
1999 Jayco Eagle 246FB (retired)
Reese HP Dual Cam (Strait-Line)
Rustic Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Hi all,

My wife and I looked at a Jayco Eagle 28.5 rsts yesterday. We really liked it and I thought the interior construction of the walls and most items was a little higher than other brands we've looked at.

The unit was a new 2020 on the lot. I looked underneath and I thought there was a fairly high amount of surface rust on almost the entire undercarriage. Further, the corrugated covering across the bottom was misshapen more than I've seen on other trailer/units.

We looked at reviews on rvinsider and man, people there slammed the Jaycos for everything from electrical issues to water in the walls issues and on and on. Most said Jayco customer service wasn't helpful and wouldn't honor the warranty.

I'm not concerned with items Jayco buys from vendors like TVs, water heaters, refrigerators and such. I'm more concerned with the overall construction of the unit.

I'm curious about the opinions of owners on this forum. Are you happy with your purchase and has your unit been reliable?

Thank you
Hello and welcome to JOF. We have a 2019 28RSOK and we love it! Yes, we have had some issues with the unit but nothing to write home about. The most serious being a squeeky floor. All issues were resolved by the dealer from which we purchased the trailer (Manteca Trailer and RV in Manteca, Ca.) in very short order. Call them up, take the trailer to them the next day and get it back shortly thereafter. Is the trailer perfect? No it is not! But it is the best built trailer we have ever owned and we are quite happy with it and we have 11,000 miles on it.
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 10:52 AM   #4

Quote:
Most said Jayco customer service wasn't helpful and wouldn't honor the warranty.
My last rig was a 2015 PINNACLE and JAYCO covered a mobile tech coming to FT. WILDERNESS to replace a defective air-conditioner. I never moved the rig. You will find many that have had similar luck and there are even those who have had issues covered after the warranty expired. The dealer is the "KEY" since they send the diagnosis for the failure to JAYCO.

Just remember your rarely hear from the "Happy Customer"....
Old 07-26-2020, 10:56 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
my last rig was a 2015 pinnacle and jayco covered a mobile tech coming to ft. Wilderness to replace a defective air-conditioner. I never moved the rig. You will find many that have had similar luck and there are even those who have had issues covered after the warranty expired. The dealer is the "key" since they send the diagnosis for the failure to jayco.

Just remember your rarely hear from the "happy customer"....
��������
2001 Dodge 3500 dually
Xboaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Site Team

We have gotten great service from our 2011 Eagle and also from the local selling dealer.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 01:15 PM   #7

2020 321RSTS owners here. We love the rig, and the build quality on ours is quite good. We have an appointment next month for some minor warranty work. We are having the beginnings of a Schwintech kitchen slide issue and I wanted to get it diagnosed / fixed as early as possible.

The other huge draw was the 2 year full warranty. Believe me, it will take the first year for these issues to show themselves from the road wear and tear. If you have any other brand that would mean you’re on the hook for the repairs.

Don’t put too much weight on the online reviews; they will always trend negative. And put just as much or more research into the dealer you are going to use. They are absolutely the key to a positive experience after the sale!

Good luck with your purchase!
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2020, 04:30 PM   #8

Jayco customer service and warranty coverage is one of the best in the industry. Ask your dealer and they will tell you Jayco is one of the best to deal with. I have had 5 warranty issues in 2 years and all got covered by Jayco without hesitation. 2 year warranty is a plus as allot of items don’t show up for a year. I would be a little concerned with the rust you noticed. My unit is 2 years old and shows very little rust.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 10:50 AM   #9

So Far So Good.

Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you
We took delivery on our 2020 Eagle 317RLOK about a month ago. Our unit also had way too much rust on the frame. I video taped my inspection and contacted Jayco. Got a nice letter back documenting the issue. Then I spent two days inspecting welds, treating and repainting the frame. Beyond that we are very happy with the build. Hardware is tight and straight, everything works as it should. We've owned three pull behinds and all have had a few issues. Figured it was better to do it correctly myself then fight the red tape in this case.
Jakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 11:10 AM   #10

Thanks

Thank you all for your help and feedback to my question. We're still pondering our options and the direction we want to go with our purchase. We'll let you know if we move forward.

Thanks
Old 07-28-2020, 06:00 PM   #11

Jayco uses the cheapest part they can find. I have a 2020 Melbourne and what I can say is the kitchen faucet is very cheap, had it replaced once already and leaking again. Refrigerator is the least expensive Norcold they make. The radio system is very cheap and is not real user friendly. I can go on but no need. The problems I have so far after having it for 3 months have been worked on by the dealer. Jayco would not help to get my Norcold refer repaired which I understand but they could have put pressure on them so I didn't have to wait for a month to get corrected. Dealer was not the best until after I spoke to owner.
PAL70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 05:30 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAL70 View Post
Jayco uses the cheapest part they can find. I have a 2020 Melbourne and what I can say is the kitchen faucet is very cheap, had it replaced once already and leaking again. Refrigerator is the least expensive Norcold they make. The radio system is very cheap and is not real user friendly. I can go on but no need. The problems I have so far after having it for 3 months have been worked on by the dealer. Jayco would not help to get my Norcold refer repaired which I understand but they could have put pressure on them so I didn't have to wait for a month to get corrected. Dealer was not the best until after I spoke to owner.
That's sad to hear they are building units without a care for the customer. I hope things get better for you with the unit.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:12 AM   #13

We own a 2018 28.5 RSTS. We have had great service from ours with only a few very minor issues over the years. We have towed it just shy of 8,000 miles. Everything in ours has held up very well and we wouldn’t trade it for anything else.
Old 07-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #14

We have a 2020 Eagle 336FBOK, a few minor issues, most fixed by me. Still waiting on a few "we owes" from the dealer. I can definitely say the dealer you choose will have more to do with your satisfaction in any RV you buy, than the quality of the RV itself. They all will have issues, some worse than others. Are Jayco RVs the best out there, probably not, but they are also far from the worst. We are very happy with ours, not so much with the dealer, but we went with price knowing what we were getting from the dealer. (CW) I can't recommend them for any purchase if you will rely on them for service after the sale. Good luck in your shopping, just weigh everything that is important to you.

Andy, Sherrie, Dixie, and Daisy
2020 Jayco 336FBOK Modern Farmhouse
2020 Chevy Silverado 2500 SRW Duramax 10 speed GM/ Allison
CURT Q20 on R20 Slider
AndyO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #15

I do sense that the towable rigs are in a better place quality-wise vs. their motor homes. Not a definitive proof; just from lurking around both forums here.

As for fixture quality: all manufacturers use very similar if not identical hardware. Their choices are driven by cost and weight, primarily. When we bought the rig I had in mind that I would eventually upgrade things like the bathroom faucet, shower head, etc. Things that are easy to do and I can personalize the fixture to our tastes, while getting a high quality part, too boot. I’m not going to lose the use of my rig for weeks at a time just so they can put back the same low budget fixture under warranty. My time is way more valuable than that. I reserve warranty visits for the major systems that are costly to repair (and me tinkering with them would increase the risk of major failures down the road.)

It’s all about setting expectations for the product as it is.

Happy camping everyone!
Dealerproofed by Powerstroke Specialties
Air Lift Loadlifter 5000 Airbags | Blue Ox Super Ride hitch
SB_James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 04:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Hi all,

Thank you

Hey Rumple - good questions to ask! We own a 2018 Eagle HT 28.5 RSTS and I'd say "overall" it's pretty decent. I've heard that Jayco has the best factory warranty available, which in itself means something to me. We've put upwards of 12K on our rig and we've had a few problems along the way. Specifically the Schwinteck slide - they can be tricky if they get out of sync. After that, it's just minor cosmetic stuff like trim popping off because the staples didn't hold, or the plastic curtain holder broke.

A camper is nothing more than a glorified, overpriced trailer. Yeah, they're pretty and full of features but at the end of the day it's a fancy box that bounces down the road behind you. You'll find that kind of wear and tear tends to undo things. As long as the major stuff is working, you'll be fine. I had a repair man look at my slide out (out of sync) and asked him that same question - which campers do you repair the most? He laughed and said it's a total gamble. One year a certain manufacturer will have a certain model that's bulletproof and the next year it'll be junk. He said it comes back to quality control.

If I were to buy another camper, I might opt for something in the lines of an Airstream. They're beautiful and don't have slides that can break. But because they're travel trailers instead of a 5th wheel, the towing experience will be different. I absolutely LOVE towing a 5th wheel. So weigh the pro's and con's. Buy something with good resale value. I expect that down the road when we sell her, we'll have more options because she's got extras like 50A service with 2 15K AC's, tankless water heater, 16" tires, etc.

Side note: Even if you find a camper you love, you'll come to find the dealership you're buying it from only loves you for your money. Sales people will sell you the moon if they think you can pay for it. They typically don't know much about towing capability, so don't expect a solid answer. They're also notorious when it comes to service turnaround. The expectation from a dealership is A) bring camper to dealership later when they have space/time to work on it. B) Wait while they look at the issue, contact the vendor for warranty items and wait for parts. C) come and get it when we're done. All of this usually takes WEEKS, so plan ahead. If you need some warranty item fixed but you want it done before your trip in a couple weeks - schedule for after the trip or you may miss it all together.

Good Luck!
Old 07-30-2020, 01:12 PM   #17

We have been more than happy with our Eagle 330RSTS. Was it perfect from the factory, no, but it was all minor nits that I have been able to deal with myself. It seems like if you're not very handy/mechanical you can have a lot of downtime waiting on warranty repairs.

Types of issues we had:
Minor plumbing leak due to a bad fitting. Replaced with part from Menards.
Loose trim.
Loose wiring on the inverter.
Converter miswired.
Autolevel would "level" so far out of level I was better off eyeballing it.

With things like surface rust, etc. I make that part of my annual inspection. A can of rustoleum and 10 minutes and everything looks as good as new. Expanding foam insulation to seal holes they missed at the factory. Going through all the manuals for everything in these rigs and familiarizing yourself with their maintenance requirements will save you a lot of hassle in the long run as well.
morleyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 01:49 PM   #18

2017 29MV Class C owner here. Rig was built 3/16, we purchased it 11/16. Many states and 20K miles later forward to 11/19. Took the rig to our dealer because I had "rust stains" on the lower panel at the front and back of the slide room. Technician evaluates and reports the floor is rotten and about to fall out of the slide room.!! OK... When can we get it fixed? Schedule fix for mid January '20. Three days before taking the rig in I call the dealer and am told the parts, ordered two months ago, never came in. What!? Reschedule for mid February.
In the meantime I contact Jayco "Customer Service" looking for some support because I feel that this is a factory defect. No matter what I said their response was "you're out of warranty"
Floor arrives, take rig to dealer. Two weeks later the dealer calls and says the whole outside wall of the slide room has rotted out due to a leaking window. A window, I'm told, that cannot be maintained. They are flush mount windows that cannot be caulked or checked without removing the window.
Late March, order new slide room wall. Covid hits, factory shuts down...
During all my back and forth with Jayco CS I ask for a factory rep to come inspect the rig. Their response, " We don't have factory reps, we rely on factory trained techs in the dealerships". Oh, OK.
Early July, your wall has arrived! Dealer removes and deconstructs the old wall. Source of the leak is confirmed (by the factory trained tech), window improperly installed during initial build. Has been leaking for almost 4 years. Jayco's response, "you're out of warranty".
Five months and $8000 later we have our RV back.
My take, surface quality of Jayco rigs is great but, under the fancy stuff the company is rotten. Rotten management, rotten customer service, rotten builds.
As my dad used to say "you pays your money and you takes your chances".
Good luck!
TheSled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 02:46 PM   #19

I have a Eagle Have loved it from the time we got it, had a couple of simple issues. still in great shape. 2012 RKS
just had to do a simple repair the drain tap was getting to old was going to break off, so 10 minutes put a new on .
It has been broken into a few time on the coast, but now parked at home.
Attached Thumbnails
20180907_145613.jpg   camping 2015 036.jpg  
annie oakly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 04:36 PM   #20

Jayco Eagle 298BHS

Mine is a 2005 and I absolutely love it! I bought it new in 2005 and the only item on the entire camper I’ve ever had to replace was the circuit card in the refrigerator. Everything else has been flawless. I’ve looked at new campers but they pale in comparison.
Dieseldog59 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
quality, satisfaction, warranty