Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 02-06-2019, 01:28 PM   #21

Another one with a no, for the same reasons above. No one will take as good care of my stuff as I do, and after almost 2 decades of RV ownership, I know how to deal with most everything that may happen during a trip. Would a potential renter? Most likely not, and they may end up damaging something trying to figure it out. Would they know how to deal with a fridge that won’t switch over? Would they know when it’s too windy for the awning? What if they write it off before your own vacation? Nope, I’d sell it before I’d rent it out.
2015 Jayco Jay Flight 24FBS
Winnipeg, Manitoba
North of 49° is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 01:55 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnsusie View Post
Has any body had experience with renting out their r.v. through one of the rental companies like Outdoorsy or RVShare ? Good/Bad?
Like most others have said. NO!!. I bought a new motorhome and let a company rent it out. When it came in I had to pay for cleaning and propane and fees. It was suppose to make my payments and have a good motorhome for when I was ready to use it. I never used it. It got so misused and looked awful. I sold it as quickly as I could. Other people won't take care of your stuff and don't care. Take everyone's good advice here and keep your 'little home' to yourself. Free from dirt, disease, bugs, etc. How would you feel about a lot of people you don't know sleeping in your bed at home? I thought not..
I'd rather pay storage and know that when I opened the door things would be like I left it.
Ready for me to use.
Happy Trails.
j2ponies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 03:14 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by timnsusie View Post
Has any body had experience with renting out their r.v. through one of the rental companies like Outdoorsy or RVShare ? Good/Bad?
Interesting topic since I just received an email solicitation asking if I wanted to rent our my Class C.

A couple of points about renting:

We rented for several years before finally buying our own and always were very careful about the rig, though I have to say not being as well versed as we are now in all the required tasks, I am surprised we didn't mess one up.

We had a rental home for many years and it we were lucky. Had one renter who trashed it and cost us thousands to get it back in shape and another who stayed for nearly a decade. Didn't really trash it but also didn't do much of any maintenance.

Would we rent ours out? Likely only to a family member! (kidding, never!)
Dallas/Ft. Worth, TX
--
Click_here is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 04:35 PM   #24

When we lived in Idaho, we used to rent out our Jayco White Hawk 27DSRL for short durations. But, we would haul our Jayco to a specific campground, depending on which the renter chooses, park it in the spot and set it all up. We even made baked goods as a welcome gift/treat. We did pretty good and had never had any issues. This was through AirBnB. :-) Since we moved to California, we haven't thought about it.
Livermore, CA
Elefantdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 05:31 PM   #25

OKAY, well the overwhelming response has been NO! Thank you all who responded. I kinda felt the same way when I posted the question. I was just curious what kind of response there would be. Truly did not know if maybe there would be positive experiences on this matter.We are not in need of the money as we paid cash for it a couple years ago. As a retired guy with my wife still working I thought maybe it would be a good way to make a little extra "mad money" until she retires and we start to use it a lot more,right now we are only going out about once a month and then a week or two on her vacation times. Having owned real estate rental property before I know what kind of damage renters can do, not all, but enough to make me a bit leary. I don't relish the idea of someone sleeping in our beds either or the towing catastrophes I imagined in my mind.Thanks again, just thought I would test the waters. Ya'll are awesome.
Tim
timnsusie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:45 PM   #26

Wouldn’t think of the possibilities of renting our Jayco out
redley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:27 PM   #27

NO WAY, BUB!!! -
for all the previously enumerated reasons -
not to strangers, not to friends, not to family - NO! NO! NO!
DO YOU UNDERSTAND THAT??!!!
Hollander Mutthaulers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 01:42 PM   #28

Rent before but would not rent mine

I rented multiple times before buying. The experience was ok and I was very careful with it. Drove one to Utah and my 150 was interesting to drive in the curvy mountain hills. Once I put my own money in to one my answer quickly become a big no. Just too many things that could go wrong and then I would be stuck with used trailer. I would love the money but my 5th is my second home and I want it babied. Plus I have a ton of equipment in it and I'm sure that would get damaged.

Of course if you want to run a business then the equation is different.
mlcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 11:35 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMobley232 View Post
Yes. I rent out 2 TT on both sites and outside of those sites. So Far so Good. Feel free to ask me any specific questions you may have.

I will add this disclaimer. I do this as a business, so I assume there will be wear and tear and I am not looking at putting my rig in a museum someday. So with that said, I will have a different look on it than someone that is just looking for a little extra cash and will find it hard to accept someone else putting wear and tear on their machine.

I perform a vetting process, along with my $1000 Deposit, and higher rates than others, I tend to attract a better clientele.
This!

I am new to RVing. Time and experience may prove me wrong. But I’m working toward renting out my Jayco TT, probably on Outdoorsy.

If that goes well, I would absolutely look for motivated sellers of RVs and start a business for easy income. I would go into it expecting wear and tear. And I would gage how well the insurance and repair activities are working together. My wife supports this too.

I just retired in the past year. So, I’m looking for the “job” aspect of it, to add a little dynamic income (adjusting over inflation/time) to my bank account. Not out of desperation. Just need to be productive.

I’ve begun to draft a business plan for this too. Some considerations:
1. Limits to how I would or would not rent our TT.
2. Type of camper that I would buy to rent out (probably a “couples TT”).
3. Search for a management company to clean it and provide additional listing sources.
4. Ways to keep TTs in the bigger city 3 hours away and successfully manage those from my home.

There’s more, of course. But renting out RVs is a viable way to make that little extra income, pay for the loan on the RV, stay busy, and provide a seque to our next RV. (We would likely transition from our TT to a 5th wheel or Class A/C.)
ScottRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottRV View Post
This!

I am new to RVing. Time and experience may prove me wrong. But I’m working toward renting out my Jayco TT, probably on Outdoorsy. .......)
Don't forget to include in your business plan....any income paid to you directly is now subject to a 1099 filed with the IRS referencing your Social Security number if the payment meets or exceeds $600. That's gross money, not net. I'm sure you will look at being set up as an LLC to protect your personal property that is not part of the rental business because without some sort of corporate shield, everything is on the table if you are sued. Also consider an LLC won't solve the following problem: you can't pay yourself for doing your own work on your own property unless you set up a C corporation, have a company file with a W-9, and a W-4 in it for you and issue a W-2 for any monies paid to you as an employee of your own company. I've owned more than one company, currently own one and there's no such thing as easy money and by all means, stay away from being audited, but especially once you retire. No discounts for age.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 03:54 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by muckinfuss View Post
Don't forget to include in your business plan....any income paid to you directly is now subject to a 1099 filed with the IRS referencing your Social Security number if the payment meets or exceeds $600. That's gross money, not net. I'm sure you will look at being set up as an LLC to protect your personal property that is not part of the rental business because without some sort of corporate shield, everything is on the table if you are sued. Also consider an LLC won't solve the following problem: you can't pay yourself for doing your own work on your own property unless you set up a C corporation, have a company file with a W-9, and a W-4 in it for you and issue a W-2 for any monies paid to you as an employee of your own company. I've owned more than one company, currently own one and there's no such thing as easy money and by all means, stay away from being audited, but especially once you retire. No discounts for age.
Thanks. I do intend to consult my accountant. You’re giving me a “heads up” about things I should inquire about.
ScottRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 04:52 PM   #32

The only people who has ever done the #2 in our RV is our 3 kids. Neither my wife nor me have ever done the #2 in it yet.

There's no way I'd rent it out and deal with a stranger's #2... given how shallow the toilet is over an RV and, and seeing the fecal explosions in toilets of public restrooms, no adult will ever be allowed in my rig!
Old 01-16-2023, 05:42 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by klinner28 View Post
The only people who has ever done the #2 in our RV is our 3 kids. Neither my wife nor me have ever done the #2 in it yet.

There's no way I'd rent it out and deal with a stranger's #2... given how shallow the toilet is over an RV and, and seeing the fecal explosions in toilets of public restrooms, no adult will ever be allowed in my rig!
There is a different mindset as a landlord or owner of an RV being rented out. It's an investment asset you are using to make money. If you owned a hotel would you stay in one of your rooms or across the street in someone else's hotel? Same principal here, when you stay in your TT it's like that hotel room that you also rented to other guests.

With an LLC you can take out profits. Obviously the higher the profits, the higher your draw. If you collect a cleaning fee for example you can do the work yourself. You aren't paying yourself technically, but it will result in higher profits and more money for yourself.

This is a very common arrangement and a reasonably complement accountant and attorney can set you up and keep you out of an audit.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2023, 06:45 PM   #34
CAG

Yeah, renting out a RV pretty much turns my stomach. The toilet situation alone causes some mental issues but then to think about bed bugs, lice (kids have those problems from schools), pin worms (ever had cats in your family and small kids) and the list goes on. There is not enough chlorine in the world to clean up my RV after it was rented out. I have trouble sleeping on a mattress at a motel. Who knows what went on on that thing?

People are pigs. After 35 years as a LEO gave me some back ground into that aspect of life.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 07:30 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Yeah, renting out a RV pretty much turns my stomach. The toilet situation alone causes some mental issues but then to think about bed bugs, lice (kids have those problems from schools), pin worms (ever had cats in your family and small kids) and the list goes on. There is not enough chlorine in the world to clean up my RV after it was rented out. I have trouble sleeping on a mattress at a motel. Who knows what went on on that thing?

People are pigs. After 35 years as a LEO gave me some back ground into that aspect of life.
Before we bought our rig, we rented for 2 years. My kids were small and I can say they urinated on the mattress of the rental. So there's that.
Old 01-17-2023, 10:35 AM   #36

I'm somewhat partial in my opinion: I wouldn't get into the RV rentals for the same reason we don't do AirBnB, VRBO etc. with our rental properties nor would we take on a landlord that wanted us to manage that for them. Too much work or worse yet, good luck finding an outsource that will cover the maintenance part. Not the best return based on my math.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2023, 11:05 AM   #37

FWIW my two cents,
A local RV dealer made a rental program out of the financing package as an option to the purchaser.
I don't know if they do this anymore.
This would be the only advisable process I would lean toward, it saved on storage and it becomes a version of timeshare.
Lazierfan is offline   Reply With Quote