Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-03-2019, 09:46 AM   #1

Running fridge while driving

Im new so go easy!

Taking my hummingbird 17MBS out tomorrow for the first time. If Im not mistaken, i can operate the fridge while driving? If so, do i just make sure its on electric or auto or gas??? Whats the process?
Bobafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:04 AM   #2

Gas. The electric is AC so you'll need a shore connection for that.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #3

We have ours running on gas while towing. You can either select the gas mode or, if you are in the auto mode and connected to shore power, it should automatically switch to gas when you unplug from shore power.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:10 AM   #4

Check your state regulations. Some don't allow it.....danger of propane fire in event of accident.
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 AM   #5

Got it and thank you everyone!
Bobafett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:19 AM   #6

And if you go though tunnels you may be required to turn it off.
DocBrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 10:26 AM   #7

You've reopened Pandora's box. This topic has come up more than once on this forum with passionate arguments on both sides.
I'm on the side of not using propane while in motion. It's illegal in tunnels and at gas stations and on some bridges. It's illegal because open flame is bad. People will tell you they've done it for years with no problem, or that propane, gas fumes, dust, and other combustibles only ignite at very specific concentrations. Unfortunately, the laws regarding open flames or running propane appliances while in motion were written for a reason. Despite safeguards at gas stations and elsewhere, accidents happen; you don't want to be the spark (or flame) that turns an accident into a tragidy.
From a strictly legal standpoint, are you really going to pull over before the gas station (tunnel, bridge, etc), shut off your fridge and propane, pull in and fuel your vehicle, then pull out, pull over, then turn on your propane and fridge and continue your journey?

If you're transporting perishable foods, get them cold before departure, monitor the temp en route, and learn how long foods can last above 42 degrees before needing to be tossed or reprocessed. If you just want a cold beer at your destination, buy a little cooler and some ice.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:29 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Learner View Post
Check your state regulations. Some don't allow it.....danger of propane fire in event of accident.
Maybe while driving through tunnels and such, and while refueling, but I find it very hard to believe any state would outlaw all use of an RV fridge on their public highways. If so, they're going to lose a lot of commerce as folks rush to drive through their state so their food doesn't spoil--lol!
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:22 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Maybe while driving through tunnels and such, and while refueling, but I find it very hard to believe any state would outlaw all use of an RV fridge on their public highways. If so, they're going to lose a lot of commerce as folks rush to drive through their state so their food doesn't spoil--lol!
I admit that I'm only repeating what I have heard! It's hard to find actual state regulations all compiled in one place regarding this issue. 😄
Learner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:29 AM   #10

We run propane every time out, don't go through any tunnels, never stop for gas due to a large fuel tank and if we did I would just have to turn it off until I move away from the pumps.
Sundancer330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 11:52 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilDoer View Post
You've reopened Pandora's box. This topic has come up more than once on this forum with passionate arguments on both sides.
I'm on the side of not using propane while in motion. It's illegal in tunnels and at gas stations and on some bridges. It's illegal because open flame is bad. People will tell you they've done it for years with no problem, or that propane, gas fumes, dust, and other combustibles only ignite at very specific concentrations. Unfortunately, the laws regarding open flames or running propane appliances while in motion were written for a reason. Despite safeguards at gas stations and elsewhere, accidents happen; you don't want to be the spark (or flame) that turns an accident into a tragidy.
From a strictly legal standpoint, are you really going to pull over before the gas station (tunnel, bridge, etc), shut off your fridge and propane, pull in and fuel your vehicle, then pull out, pull over, then turn on your propane and fridge and continue your journey?

If you're transporting perishable foods, get them cold before departure, monitor the temp en route, and learn how long foods can last above 42 degrees before needing to be tossed or reprocessed. If you just want a cold beer at your destination, buy a little cooler and some ice.
Really?! You're suggesting we all use coolers instead of our fridge 'cause there's a chance we're going to forget to turn off our propane fridge when legally obligated to do so? Wow, at some point common sense has to come into play. They are lot of things we can forget to do in life. We can forget to stop at a red-light. Would you then suggest we only take routes without a red-light?
Old 07-03-2019, 12:41 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nOZ View Post
We have ours running on gas while towing. You can either select the gas mode or, if you are in the auto mode and connected to shore power, it should automatically switch to gas when you unplug from shore power.
This.

OP, make sure you run the stove for a little bit before you trust the fridge to change over to propane automatically in the "auto" mode.

If you haven't used the rig in a while, or haven't used the gas in a while, your fridge may not light. It will attempt to light three times before it faults out and needs to be reset.

I always check when we're stopped; you can hear it if you put an ear near the vent, sounds like a little jet engine.

I learned this early in my RV experience because I thought the wind was blowing my fridge out. Turns out I just needed to "bleed" the propane lines before I unplugged from shore power and all is well.

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2019, 05:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Really?! You're suggesting we all use coolers instead of our fridge 'cause there's a chance we're going to forget to turn off our propane fridge when legally obligated to do so? Wow, at some point common sense has to come into play. They are lot of things we can forget to do in life. We can forget to stop at a red-light. Would you then suggest we only take routes without a red-light?
If that's what you got from this post, I'm not sure you should have propane or even matches.
Old 07-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #14

The only reason why threads like this go on forever is because their are those who say turn the propane off when towing. The problem is our fridge is PACKED and that will not work. They say, don’t pack it and do all this other stuff as a work around which basically impacts the camping trip in a major way.

There are risks in everything you do, but running propane while towing is a very low risk which I’m more than willing to take. Just use common sense.
Old 07-04-2019, 08:10 AM   #15

Quote:

Quote:
Quote:
If that's what you got from this post, I'm not sure you should have propane or even matches.
Based on your obvious discomfort with using propane while on the road, I would sincerely suggest the same to you.

In any case, and more to the point, you offered a solution that I simply didn't agree with. It was an impractical solution based solely on your personal reluctance to do what is necessary to safely use a fridge while on the road. No more, no less.
Old 07-04-2019, 04:32 PM   #16

Reality check. When SWMBO has prepared frozen meals to enjoy during the trip, the last thing you want is a total thaw during the day’s drive. Cool it down the day prior to departure and switch it to propane before you leave. Unless you make it a habit of parking for extended periods of time in tunnels, that won’t be a problem. When it’s time to fill up, switch the refrigerator off and do your business. Switch it back to gas before leaving (this is critical) and continue on your way. Sometimes it’s all about moderation and balance. ��
Fyouberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 08:03 AM   #17

"Common Sense is not so common"...Voltaire, 1764
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #18

Since it's impossible to beat a dead horse for too long, here's a link to an interesting article on this subject that some may have seen before. Some of the comments at the bottom of this article are pretty insightful as I never considered the potential danger to propane hoses running in close proximity to the trailer's wheels should a tire suffer a catastrophic failure. The article is at: RV Propane System Safety Tips And Precautions
AnacortesArmyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:40 AM   #19

Back in 1988 when I got my first RV and knew very little and was afraid of everything, I always turned off the propane in the morning just before traveling. Then when I got to the next campsite, I ran the fridge on either propane or electric until the next morning. Then propane off again, etc.

I had an old Dometic single wide with no ice maker; just a freezer above the fridge. The freezer never thawed , nor did the fridge get warm even though I traveled through SoCal, AZ, NM, and TX in the summer. So the insulation is really good on RV fridges, because I did the same with a Norcold.
Thomson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:53 AM   #20
Lost in the Woods

Funny how everyone worries about the propane tanks, when they're sitting on even a BIGGER bomb.... the fuel tank of the vehicle...
RetiredOne is offline   Reply With Quote