Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #21
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by pward View Post
Yeah, well. I'm moving to western NY later this year and am already in shock over having to pay 400% more in property tax, plus income tax, plus your hokey vehicle inspections. i can hardly wait to see what tags will cost for the car, let alone the RV.
We don't have a MH any more, but the registration for our Tundra is $108 for two years, and the 23' TT is $72.75 for one year. You can contact the NY DMV with questions on registration costs for your MH.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 04:29 PM   #22
CAG

Quote:
Arizona is so far in the other direction that you can't even blow your nose without a nosebleed.
Unless you are here from June to mid September when the monsoon blows in. Then it is no longer a dry heat.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:05 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
Unless you are here from June to mid September when the monsoon blows in. Then it is no longer a dry heat.
Well isn't that just nice.

The problem is that my retirement objective is to live in a place that I'm comfortable 12 freekin months of the year.

A little snow and a little cold isn't a problem. A little heat isn't a problem either.

Oppressive heat is a problem, even if its only a month at a time. Thirty below zero is a problem, even if its only a month at a time.

My 45 year profession took me all over the world at times. Arizona meant I could only work at night, North Dakota meant I couldn't work at all unless it was July.

We all have our limits. Family is the greatest one, and if a freakin house or job trumps family, then that's you problem.

Als I know it that where I live there are no bugs, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods or bad people. What more could anyone ask for?
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 05:38 PM   #24
CAG

Heaven might be the solution but then there is an issue with that also. The most obvious one.

I have been in Arizona 50 years. I worked out in it day and night 12 months of the year wearing body armor when it was 110 and 40% humidity. That is not near what some have had to do in the Middle East when it is 120 and you have 50+ pounds of gear so I guess we need to be thankful for what we have.

Old 01-07-2020, 06:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAG View Post
I guess we need to be thankful for what we have.
Now that's the smartest thing that has come out of this entire thread.

We all have our likes and needs, and many of us differ in that regard.

The most important thing, though, is that we as an individual are happy with what we have. If you don't like ashtabible, for god's sake MOVE. If what you like is too expensive, lower your standards. If what your family likes doesn't meet your requirements, tell them you're leaving or stay and suck it up.

Nobody HAS to be anywhere. If for whatever reason you end up there and don't like it, don't complain. Make the best of it, move, or keep your freeking mouth shut. Remember that others like it there and if you keep blathering with your mouth all you are doing is hurt other people's feelings.

To quote Forrest....."And that's all I'm going to say about that".
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 10:44 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
Als I know it that where I live there are no bugs, tornadoes, hurricanes, floods or bad people. What more could anyone ask for?
Sounds like heaven on earth! Where the hell is Wheatfield?
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:30 PM   #27

Getting back to the OPs concern. Is it possible the massive and unrealistic increase in insurance premium related to the fact the OP does not have a physical SD residence? My impression, which could be wrong, is a physical SD residence was not purchased but perhaps only the minimum was done to establish residency, whatever that is. If that just a PO box? If so, then the difference in the premium every year would need to be justified and compared to the cost of actually buying property in SD. I could be way off on my thoughts but this is my 2 cents.
asolarrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:42 PM   #28

Go to town to a mail box store like a ups store (NOT the post office) they will give you a "street address" and a personal mail box. Use that address as you "home address" then call the insurance company I'd bet it will be way cheap again. The insurance companies, and banks dont like full timers. I dont know why but it's an additional risk factor for them. And it's an expensive risk factor apparently. When they ask if you live in your RV your answer is always NO. And use your mailbox as your address. You can get posession coverage through a 3rd party insurer and it's cheap. The best part is they mailbox service can forward mail when you travel and the cost is minimal.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:02 PM   #29

How are they gonna know that the address you give them is a house or a mailbox store? I would bet you they will never check. They send you mail and you respond to it all is good as far as they are concerned. The address you give them for a mailbox store will be a street address and a unit number. (Unit number just like an appartment number)..
Old 01-11-2020, 02:17 PM   #30

Your friend not familiar with due diligence?
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:30 PM   #31

Lie on an insurance application and you stand a very real chance of having any claim denied, as it can be considered fraud.
papa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 02:41 PM   #32

I'm betting that the difference in price has something to do with the fact that you now don't have a physical home address. They are probably quoting you insurance based on full time living.
Stepchild_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:00 PM   #33

state residency

The conversation about a 'legitimate address' is moot. The Family Motor Coach Association endorses the use of a fixed address in South Dakota for full-time RVers and endorses the mail-forwarding service called YourBestAddress.com. We own no real estate now and if we spend less than 183 days in any other state, we are SD residents. You become a resident of South Dakota by showing the Department of Motor Vehicles a receipt from a RV park or hotel for at least one night stay. The DMV agent turned a grabbed a form just for people like us.
No scam-no BS. Surrender your old license, show a passport, and walk out in 15 minutes with a TSA-approved driver's license. No state income tax, 40% to 50% reduction in vehicle registration costs, no taxing of retirement income from IRA's or Social Security. The insurance for our Seneca has been the only surprise. The IRS recognizes the PMB, or Personal Mailbox, as a fixed address for tax purposes.
We drove 5 days from Washington state to Rapid City to establish residency and drove 5 days back to the crabbing in Oregon. We did have the misfortune of choosing the weekend of the Sturgis, South Dakota Harley-Davidson scooter-run for our trip.
2014 Seneca 37FS
2015 Wrangler Sport toad
red-headed wife
RoWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 03:50 PM   #34

Does your ND license have the STAR on it?
Old 01-11-2020, 03:57 PM   #35

Yep like I said 100% legal. I know many people that do this. Some fulltime RVers some tradesmen that travel for or to work. They dont have a permanent physical address but they have a permanent mailing address via the mailbox service. Dont lie on your application. You can use the physical address as the rv park you are in, and your permanent mailing address as your mailbox service. I wouldn't recommend it if it wasn't 100% legal. Truck drivers, and military personnel do this all the time. There are 100's of fulltime RVers that have been doing this for years. Call an attorney if your not sure. There are multiple blogs, and vlogs online that can explain exactly how to do this. Dont lie just learn how to answer the questions. If not asked then dont bring it up. If asked go get a hotel room for one night keep the record of it and then guess what your not fulltime RVer anymore..
Old 01-11-2020, 04:06 PM   #36

Born in Lackawanna and raised in Orchard Park (WNY). Left in 1982 and have zero desire to move back. Pay about $360 a year full coverage in a 2003 Ram and about $60 a year comprehensive on my 2005 Jayco. I have everything insured through State Farm and have since 1989. This is in North Dakota. Just my two cents
Old 01-11-2020, 04:07 PM   #37

Gold star on ND license is Real ID
Old 01-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #38

Jim I love ND! I work for the DOT pushing snow on the Interstate so let it snow, let it snow, let it snow! I spend plenty of time working the sub-zero temps fixing guard rails and such as these out of state drivers love to play car hockey out there on the highways! Or think their all wheel drive $60000 SUV can run 80 mph on ice without danger.... love cleaning up after them!
I found the pace of life to be far nicer here in ND than WNY. Especially since the population of Buffalo is twice that of this entire State ��
Old 01-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsmjim View Post
I don't get the WNY humidity issue. Louisiana, Georgia, Florida, et.al. have humidity. Arizona is so far in the other direction that you can't even blow your nose without a nosebleed. NY has moderate humidity, moderate weather and NO hurricanes, tornadoes, bugs or tumbleweed.
I think it was tongue in cheek. There ARE sticky days in the summer. There ARE bugs.
And there is humidity. It often comes in foot deep incrememts. Multiple feet.
Not sure how prevalent caved in RV roofs are.

2021 GMC Canyon
2021 Jayco 212QB
WDH ; Anderson
2012 Honda Ridgeline not towing anymore
2016 195 RB traded in
Kim Gass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 06:36 PM   #40
CAG

Quote:
Originally Posted by papa10 View Post
Lie on an insurance application and you stand a very real chance of having any claim denied, as it can be considered fraud.
Yeah, I'm reading through some of this and wondering what is going to happen to a few of these bogus applications for insurance should the XXXX hit the fan and they have to make a claim. No wonder premiums are through the roof with some of this stuff.