Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-11-2020, 06:57 PM   #41

Insurance companies didn't get the biggest buildings in town by getting snookered by amateurs.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:02 PM   #42

Actually I have had a claim when doing this. The issue is the insurance companies use old software that automatically thinks you are homeless if you dont have a permanent physical address. So being homeless you are one of the highest risk factors in the business. In reality there are people that live fulltime or near to fulltime in million dollar RV's. What make someone that lives in a 200k stick and brick house more responsible or more insurable then a couple in their 50's or 60's that choose to live in a 1.5 million dollar motor home? Some dont sale their homes because they need to they do it because they are smart and see no point to have a money pit sitting that they never use.. you know what, do what you want if you choose to pay 4 or 10 times what you should be paying for insurance you go for it. All because the insurance industry hasn't kept up with reality. More and more people are ditching the sticks and bricks for a mobile lifestyle. Fact is more often then not its smarter then maintaining 2 homes and paying taxes on multiple houses.
Mad5581 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 07:08 PM   #43

No they got the biggest buildings by taking your money and knowing your not smart enough to question what they do or how they do it. You get in a wreck and they offer you next to nothing for your stuff and you take it. Why most don't realize you own them they want to close your claim and only way to so that is get you to settle. Always turn down the first offer they will double it in the second offer. You employe them not the other way around. There are hundreds of insurance companies out there and they fight hard for the right clients. (You know the ones that pay the bill when its due). Dont fear the insurance company they need to fear you.
Old 01-12-2020, 01:36 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad5581 View Post
How are they gonna know that the address you give them is a house or a mailbox store? I would bet you they will never check. They send you mail and you respond to it all is good as far as they are concerned. The address you give them for a mailbox store will be a street address and a unit number. (Unit number just like an appartment number)..
Don't be surprised if they ask if the "address" you give is where the RV is parked when you're home! They are on to the wandering wayfarer lifestyle. They don't like it because there is higher risk for them associated with that.

Insurance companies and lenders place a high value on customers who can demonstrate stability - financial stability, locational stability, etc.

Owning a true residence, especially for a number of years, shows the kind of stability that they LOVE to see - and makes it easier for them (a bank) to find you, if need be.

It's all just part of them doing business to minimize their OWN risk.

You have to look out for yourself. And they're always going to be looking out for their own interests.

2020 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 01:49 AM   #45

Dhart I agree. But I can tell you out of the 6 different RV's I've owned I've never been asked where I intend to store my RV. Same with my insurance on any of my RV's. That said I've also already put at least 50% down and taken the shortest term with the best rate available. That helps to minimize the risk for all parties. I did have a friend that was approved for an rv loan that got turned down when he told the back he planned to live in it. But they didn't ask him he mentioned it to them in a conversation.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:14 AM   #46
CAG

Quote:
But I can tell you out of the 6 different RV's I've owned I've never been asked where I intend to store my RV.
Every insurance company I have dealt with has asked that question.

Quote:
How are they gonna know that the address you give them is a house or a mailbox store? I would bet you they will never check.
Google Earth. And many do check because it is so easy to. When shopping for insurance, which I do every so often to check rates, almost every one of them has brought my house up on Google Earth while I was talking with them.

They also check credit ratings as that is factored into rates.

CAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:37 AM   #47

I have progressive and I think ours is 300 for the year. 6 months on and 6 off. We have insurance for part time right now. I plan to FT travel and am looking at a workamping experience in Alaska. PT. I plan to travel FT so I have no idea what I am looking at when I do go FT travel.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 09:59 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by spark of insanity View Post
I have progressive and I think ours is 300 for the year. 6 months on and 6 off. We have insurance for part time right now. I plan to FT travel and am looking at a workamping experience in Alaska. PT. I plan to travel FT so I have no idea what I am looking at when I do go FT travel.
I too have Progressive. I am FT and they know it. They have one of the most comprehensive policies in the industry for FT's. Just like a homeowners policy with replacement cost coverage and personal liability. I pay $710.00 per year. Having been in the insurance industry for 25 years, I'm very impressed with their RV policy. There are many major insurers that will not offer coverage if you are FT.
2017 RAM 3500 DRW DIESEL/AISIN 4.10 AIR BAGS
B&W COMPANION TURN OVER BALL HITCH
Formerly from Sequim, WA
AKRUEBBE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 02:10 PM   #49

Quote:
I can tell you out of the 6 different RV's I've owned I've never been asked where I intend to store my RV.
I have 2 cars, a classic car, 4 boats and an RV. All seven policies required that I disclose where they are located, and every policy I had in the past did the same thing.

Except for the RV, all the other vehicles are garage kept, and that has reduced the insurance costs.

Our RV is permanently set up, and when the Insurance company found out I don't drive it ever, they reduced my premium by more than 50%.
gypsmjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 01:57 AM   #50

Quote:
I can tell you out of the 6 different RV's I've owned I've never been asked where I intend to store my RV. Same with my insurance on any of my RV's.
Ok. Try getting a new policy with a new carrier today. Likely you will be asked (on a recorded line) where the RV will be housed when not in travel. Insurance companies are smarter than you think they are. They very well may seek any and every legal remedy possible before paying on a large claim.

If they can (even after the fact) determine that there was anything not truthful, when you applied for the policy, they may deny your future claims! BE CAREFUL and BE FOREWARNED.

2020 Mobile Suites 38 RSSA.
DHart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 07:39 AM   #51

Not sure how this went from cost of insurance to where to live. But was interested in insurance as I have been trying to settle a claim with State Farm on my MH. While traveling in Florida over Christmas I hit a duck that broke the grille in my Seneca 35GS. I thought this would be simple, call agent, send adjuster, get check and fix my MH. First agent had me call a national number to report it. Then they tell me they don't have adjusters for MHs any more. I try to tell them it's a Chevrolet truck. No good, then they tell me go get estimate, I start contacting Body Shops. None will give me estimate because it's a MH. All I want is the grille paid for, I can put it in my self. Finally yesterday back to agent and get her to understand it's a truck. She gets State Farm to agree to accept pictures of damage and let me get an estimate from one of my former students in another state to settle this. I had thought of looking for RV insurance elsewhere but with prices some are quoting here maybe not.
gymracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2020, 12:58 PM   #52

I'm not going to argue facts with you guys. I started in a previous post DO NOT LIE to your insurance company. I'm also not going to get out a crayon and draw you a picture of how to not get taken advantage of by your insurance company. If you cant figure out how to get a reasonable rate while fulltime living in your RV I highly recommend you use Google and consult an attorney. This is not hard and its fully legal. I'll give you a hint you state your permanent address as a mailbox service (fully legal) when asked where you plan to store your rv when not in use you pick an rv park or a storage location and give that address. Are you lying if when not in use you intend to store it at this location? NO. Some insurance companies will ask are you living full time in this RV? The answer is NO. One a year you get a hotel room in the same community your have listed for your address and you stay there (maybe while work is done on your RV maybe just for a change). Now your not fulltime rv living. This is All 100% legal and the insurance companies cant deny your claim if the unfortunate happens. They may drop you after the fact but they may drop you for having a claim anyway. Dont claim stupid things. If the claim you are looking to file is less then one years worth of premiums pay for it yourself. Rv insurance in not like car insurance it's more like homeowners. Homeowners if you file a claim your are likely to see a massive increase in premiums or get dropped all together. Keep this in mind. Google maps.... lol again DO NOT LIE... simply make what you tell them the truth. Keep records that what you tell them is the truth. And unless you like paying massive rates you NEVER live fulltime in your RV. The rate savings will more then make up for a few hotel rooms...