Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 03-09-2022, 05:56 PM   #41
CAG

[QUOTE=joe w;1033804]Packing a .22 pistol loaded with birdshot is a good idea if spending time out and about in the desert.[/QUOTE

I hunt about everything and have for years BUT I see no need to kill something just to kill it and that seems to be the mindset with snakes. I am not going to preach but if the snake is not a threat let it go it's way.

Not saying that is your case just saying!

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 05:58 PM   #42
CAG

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman View Post
Have a friend that lives in Phoenix. He always said, "Everything in the desert either sticks you, stings you, or kills you."

Depends upon how observant you are when in the desert

CAG is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 06:47 PM   #43

[QUOTE=CAG;1033829]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Packing a .22 pistol loaded with birdshot is a good idea if spending time out and about in the desert.[/QUOTE

I hunt about everything and have for years BUT I see no need to kill something just to kill it and that seems to be the mindset with snakes. I am not going to preach but if the snake is not a threat let it go it's way.

Not saying that is your case just saying!
I used to hunt as a kid however 28 years AD Army with combat tours soured me to killing anything! I would never kill anything just to do so. I always carry when in the wild just in case. Being permitted in most states makes sure I stay legal.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 07:42 PM   #44

When in snake country keep your dogs on a leash and don’t let them wander. Dogs are curious. They will stick their head in the wrong snake hole or bush and get nailed. Also, some vets offer rattle snake vaccination in snake country which may or may not help.I keep a tight leash on my dogs when out walking or hiking.
Jet Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 08:42 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe w View Post
Packing a .22 pistol loaded with birdshot is a good idea if spending time out and about in the desert.
A much better choice is .38 Special CCI Snake Shot. More pellets, higher velocity. One and done.
Route 66 Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2022, 09:16 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 66 Traveler View Post
A much better choice is .38 Special CCI Snake Shot. More pellets, higher velocity. One and done.
I carry based on what I may encounter, being in bear country requires a different implement than in the desert. A .22 magnum will suffice should one need to deter a scorpion or a snake.
joe w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2022, 04:48 AM   #47

Through April you are fairly safe, depending on your elevation. After that it gets very hot so I assume you're running the generator most of the time. Snakes don't like activity, so the vibration/movement of your coach gen plus other movement will keep them away.

Don't leave anything outside that scorpions can climb into.

Remember - everything in the SW will either sting you, prick you, or bite you.
WFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:47 PM   #48

Take your dogs to the vet and have the vet give your dogs the snake shot, it will keep them alive long enough to get them to a vet if they get bit. A friend got and us got the shots for our dogs and about a month later his dog got bit by a Mojave Green and the vet said that the shot saved the dogs life. We live in the Mojave Desert so our dogs get the booster each year.
2019 RAM 1500 Laramie 4X4 5.7 Hemi.
2019 Jayco Hummingbird 16 MRB
DennisH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by DennisH View Post
Take your dogs to the vet and have the vet give your dogs the snake shot, it will keep them alive long enough to get them to a vet if they get bit.

Also do snake avoidance training. I posted a video, #23, about the Western Diamondback and the Mohave green rattlesnake that are on YouTube. Last Saturday night we watched it again on our 70" big screen in the living room. Our dog Jake was there half a sleep with us on the couch. He went through a snake avoidance last last May. When he heard the rattle of the snakes he sat straight up, looked at the TV and saw the snakes, then bolted out of the room! Gone in a flash! He is scheduled for a refresher class at the end of May. He has also had his "Snake Shot" at the Vet, and gets a booster every year.
Attached Thumbnails
Jake.jpg  

Route 66 Traveler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 05:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollander Mutthaulers View Post
Back in the late '70s saw a massasauga rattler north of Ludington, Michigan. Fat, ugly and rare compared to the rattlers in Montana where I grew up. I guess there's brown recluse spiders too, but I'll take the mosquitoes for now. : )

Yep, in central Michigan I saw a Massasauga rattlesnake in the early 80's along a railroad grade. Definitely suprised me. The Brown Recluse spiders are more of a threat I think, my sister in Pentwater MI was bitten last summer on the back of her knee and spent 3 days in the hospital on IV antibiotics.
Attached Thumbnails
6570.jpg  
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:04 PM   #51

Snake avoidance training

I would contact a professional dog trainer... someone who specializes in sporting or hunting dogs. The process may seem unpleasant, but may save your pups life or a ton of vet bills... please feel free to contact me somehow and I can explain further if you like.
3belkhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2022, 01:18 PM   #52

Scorpions, Rattlesnakes????

Shotgun. Plenty of shells. Whiskey.

Recipe for success! lol
W/Air Lift air bags (front & rear)
Equal-I-Zer™ WDH & B&W Companion
TWP723 is offline   Reply With Quote