Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-30-2019, 11:55 AM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunafulltime View Post
ONCE AGAIN, as the OP, I created this post to learn from those who prefer a TT over a Fiver. I do not know how I can make it more clear. I know all of the advantages of a fiver. This is not a TT vs. Fiver post. It is a "Why I prefer a TT" post. I am working through the advantages and reasons to prefer a TT. I know it is not intentional, but Please Stop high-jacking this thread! Thank You! And thank you to those who are maintaining the integrity of the post.
If I recommend you take a Valium, would that be hijacking the thread?

When people respond in a way you don't like, you can ignore them, that way you won't appear to be unhinged.
Siamese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:48 PM   #42

Earlier someone mentioned MPG's. With everything being somewhat equal (length and weight), I've experienced 5-10% better fuel economy with a 5th wheel. YMMV
CampNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 06:06 PM   #43
Site Team

One thing might have not been mentioned, TTs are usually considerably less money then equal sized fivers. And like others I like use of the bed when towing and no hitch in the bed when not towing. Some 5er guys I know have dropped their rig on the truck damaging the bed rails, not happening with a TT. I've personally never towed a 5er and will not rule one out in the future, needs and wants change and I can see why they would tow better.
Crabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 08:52 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by CampNow View Post
Earlier someone mentioned MPG's. With everything being somewhat equal (length and weight), I've experienced 5-10% better fuel economy with a 5th wheel. YMMV
Weight is weight. Aero, it all depends what is in the slip stream. 5th wheels usually have a much higher profile exposed to wind resistance therefore saying a 5th is 5-10% better fuel economy flies in the face of physics. I just ask my neighbor who has one, not true.
Old 10-01-2019, 09:10 AM   #45

I really appreciate the insight - Thank you all!
I would like to ask you all for your input considering the use of this TT as our full-time home. We have been only considering fivers, but when we saw the Eagle TTs (the big boys, not the HT models), we were attracted to their floorplans and amenities. They are very much like a "single level fiver," so to speak. We find ourselves more drawn to TTs, but we are not sure how they would be for full-timing. We will have some bucket list travel, but we will mostly live in MT and ID (June-October) and FL, AL, and MS (November-May).
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2019, 09:54 AM   #46

I wouldn't factor fuel economy into buying any kind of mid to larger rv trailer. You got to pay to play that is the fact on that. Just swipe the card and don't look at the price.

Get what fits your expected style of camping. And upgrade your A/C's to the max you can if you live or camp anywhere that gets kinda warm.

Lower ceilings means less cubic feet to heat or cool in most bumper pull trailers.
vegasguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:57 AM   #47

TT not as tall

TTs are usually 1-2ft lower in height than 5ers, allowing you to cross under a few more bridges and crossings (one more benefit I didn't see listed. Meaningless for most....).
daveswanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 12:26 PM   #48

TT over 5er

I have a F250 that can handle a 5er but I have a 2017 Jay Flight 29RLDS.
I am 6’7” and I am sticking with a TT because of the small ceiling heights in the 5ers that I can handle. I am not going to bend my neck just so I can have a 5er.
I have found some 5ers that I can fit in but they are not Jayco.
I have not had any issues with my TT so it is great for the time being...

2017 Jay Flight 29RLDS
2018 F250 CCSB 6.2
2015 F150 SCSB 2.7TTEB (gone)
Equalizer WD
JJVDAV98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #49

Well I've had two TTs and now a 5vr. The 5vr tows better and has more room. But kinda wish I'd kept the last TT, just seemed to be easier dealing with for me....
LarryJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:06 PM   #50

TT vs 5th

We've had both. When we had the TT it was get a ways and we had our sticks n bricks. That TT was a blast, it was lightweight and we could sleep 8! A lot of good memories. And 1/2 the price of a fifth wheel. Sway was a bit scary and we rarely went faster than 55.
We became empty nesters, my husband took a job in New Mexico. The real estate market was high.so we decided to buy a fifth wheel and go full time. It's a totally different experience. They are more like homes. For the most part I think the construction is better although none are great anymore. We can travel at the posted speed limit and I feel much more secure knowing that it is actually part of our vehicle and I wont be blown over. The price is higher. I guess it depends what you are using it for.
Zuzieq981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:09 PM   #51
crl

We have a 2019 28RL WhiteHawk TT and we are extremely pleased with it. I have spoken with many who have 5th wheels and am told almost across the board that they tow better with little or no sway. I also believe they have a tighter turning radius when attempting to back into a spot. I can see all of that being true.

However, I pull our TT with a 1/2 ton truck equipped with a HD tow package. I don’t have any sway issues with my set up and don’t have issues spotting the TT. I have thought about a 5th wheel, but to get the same length 5th wheel, I would have to upgrade to a 3/4 ton tow vehicle to meet the cargo capacity window. I also like having everything on a single level with no steps inside the trailer.

Should I ever decide to go to a longer trailer than our current 30’ rig, I would strongly consider a 5th wheel to decrease the overall rig length.

I think it all boils down to what you want. If you are going long, over 30’, I can see string advantages with a 5th wheel. With 30’ or less, I would go with a TT. Just my preferences though.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:39 PM   #52

Any takers

Quote:
I really appreciate the insight - Thank you all!
I would like to ask you all for your input considering the use of this TT as our full-time home. We have been only considering fivers, but when we saw the Eagle TTs (the big boys, not the HT models), we were attracted to their floorplans and amenities. They are very much like a "single level fiver," so to speak. We find ourselves more drawn to TTs, but we are not sure how they would be for full-timing. We will have some bucket list travel, but we will mostly live in MT and ID (June-October) and FL, AL, and MS (November-May).
Looking for input on this post - Thank You!
gunafulltime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:41 PM   #53

TT it is.

Well after having one fiver and four tt's,this 2019 Eagle 280RBOK is wonderful. It's got the kitchen island,big tanks,large pass through storage,washer dryer prep's etc,this haul like a dream with a 17' f-250 diesel,crew lariat no sway bars.I just couldn't do without the bed to carry the four wheeler while going hunting or to carry firewood etc. Would not go back to a fiver.
Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #54

5th for me

I have towed 2 TT and now a fiver. Wouldn’t go back to the TT. I hated those sway bars. Fiver tracks so much better. I agree having the hitch in the PU bed is a pain, but the easy towing makes all the difference. Plus I hated the cave feeling in the TT. Too low ceilings. That’s my 2 cents
JanetH. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 02:21 PM   #55

Travel Trailer

Quote:
Do you prefer a travel trailer over a 5th wheel? If so, why? Please do not comment if you prefer a TT because your TV cannot handle a fiver. Assuming you have or could have a 1 ton diesel, why do you still prefer a travel trailer?
I have owned everything (except a Class A) including two FW’s. There are a number of reasons I prefer a travel trailer.

First I believe that you get more space per foot than a FW. You also do not have to “trash” up the bed of your truck with FW hitch hardware. With a quality TT hitch they will handle just as well as a FW and I believe they are easier to maneuver. Here is the biggest reason and you may have heard this before; There are two kinds of FW owners....ones that have dropped their fifth wheel on the bed of their truck and ones that have not done it yet.

I am in the first group and it gets expensive! Love my TT!
Gwaltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 03:43 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear View Post
5er for me. Tows better imo plus way more storage for " stuff "
Exactly.
BassOverflow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #57

Hope I haven't already posted here but I will say this about travel trailers. Ours has been great. My intent was to get a fiver because I had Diesel dually.

However, somewhere along the line and before purchasing a trailer I put a large cap on the pickup. after that not willing to give up the use of the bed and the protection of the large cap.

So a TT let's you have the additional storage space of your truck bed.
'14 Denali XL
cekkk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:16 PM   #58

Went from a 40ft A back to a TT thats 38ft (Eagle) and I will say it's a learning curve backing up but not hard. The original OP question is I went with the TT for bed space and perfer a SRW. Added a camper top with side and rear access for various uses.
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 05:52 PM   #59

Truck is used for hunting and fishing trips also. Have a topper on truck which is usually full when we go camping but everything in truck is dry and secure. We do not want to lose the use of the truck box or deal with install and removal of a FW hitch when not pulling trailer. Doors on my tool shed are 12 ft high so when we are not camping the trailer is inside the tool shed most FWs are taller than 12 ft. We pull a 36 ft TT and with enough truck it is a breeze to pull. We pull with a 3500 Ram dually diesel it is used as my daily driver also not great on mileage but I knew that going in. We pulled a 30 ft TT before with a 3/4 ton Ram with the Hemi pull ok as far as power goes but wind and semi's made for a uncomfortable driving experience. The dual wheels I believe is what makes all the difference and with the diesel no more screaming up mountains.
djcoop52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 06:14 PM   #60

Trailer sway has always scared me and yes I'm aware of ways to mitigate the issue, but I chose a FW to avoid those issues. Like someone said earlier, there's pros & cons either way. Isn't great to have a myriad of choices for our individual preferences!
Gusto_man is offline   Reply With Quote