Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-05-2023, 12:10 PM   #1

What NOT to do

I will respect the forum's decorum and not "out" the campers who were parked next to me, and just left, but here's one I still can't quite wrap my head around. This year's Ohio state park camping began four days ago. Maybe "April Fools" had something to do with this, dunno. We are at Houston Woods SP campground (a very nice place), and of course there was no ranger or camp host to witness what my wife and I saw. The guy was doing the usual disconnects when I saw him disconnect about 15 feet of sewer hose from his camper. He proceeded to lift the other end out of the sewer ground drain and then dragged all 15 feet of contamination across the camp road into a vacant spot in the next row. Of course he turned on the potable water there, held the hose up to the spout and flushed it out across that site's patio and the camp road. He dragged it back, stowed it, and they left. Maybe karma will give him a flat tire on the way home. :
Old 04-05-2023, 12:16 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayX3 View Post
I will respect the forum's decorum and not "out" the campers who were parked next to me, and just left, but here's one I still can't quite wrap my head around. This year's Ohio state park camping began four days ago. Maybe "April Fools" had something to do with this, dunno. We are at Houston Woods SP campground (a very nice place), and of course there was no ranger or camp host to witness what my wife and I saw. The guy was doing the usual disconnects when I saw him disconnect about 15 feet of sewer hose from his camper. He proceeded to lift the other end out of the sewer ground drain and then dragged all 15 feet of contamination across the camp road into a vacant spot in the next row. Of course he turned on the potable water there, held the hose up to the spout and flushed it out across that site's patio and the camp road. He dragged it back, stowed it, and they left. Maybe karma will give him a flat tire on the way home. :
That's why you should always carry a spray bottle of bleach water and spray the water spigot before connecting. Who said all people with an RV had brains?
Old 04-05-2023, 12:30 PM   #3

That's a terrific idea, Grumpy, and one we will start doing after 40+ years of camping. Thanks!
Old 04-05-2023, 01:02 PM   #4

I always have a bleach / water spray bottle with me. I also mark my Y connector that I attach to the spigot so I always attach my black tank flush line to the same side of the Y....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:03 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post
That's why you should always carry a spray bottle of bleach water and spray the water spigot before connecting. Who said all people with an RV had brains?
I also carry bleach with me when we travel. I also clean off the picnic table whenever we go and also cover it with a cheap dollar store table cloth before we put food on it.

A couple summers ago, we were visiting with JFlightRisk and staying at a really nice private campground in upstate NY. Across from us was a couple that decided to pull their sewer line, drain it, and collapse it ON the picnic table. Yes, you are reading that correctly......ON the picnic table. I've never looked at one the same again when we go out.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:17 PM   #6

Midnightmoon, your experience tops ours. There ought to be special Darwin awards for campers. Never underestimate the depths to which stupidity can reach.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:20 PM   #7

Quote:
... have camped there many times. It is a nice place. Glad I didn't camp with that guy you did.

Some years ago we were at Winton Woods and had a hard freeze on our last night. I got up early and walked the dog. I saw several fresh water freeze problems, and one camper who had already left, left his frozen sewer hose on the site not connected to anything. You don't have to be a genius to purchase an RV. Bring on the bleach.
OnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 01:22 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Midnightmoon, your experience tops ours. There ought to be special Darwin awards for campers. Never underestimate the depths to which stupidity can reach.
I think that pretty much all of us that have been RVing for any length of time have seen some things that just make you scratch your head.

Old 04-05-2023, 01:25 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
I think that pretty much all of us that have been RVing for any length of time have seen some things that just make you scratch your head.
And want to yell you stupid..........it's a family web site.
Old 04-05-2023, 01:39 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grumpy View Post
and want to yell you stupid..........it's a family web site.
lol....

Old 04-05-2023, 01:46 PM   #11

I saw a bad one late last summer. Luckily it should not affect others.

Most of MN SP's do not have water in the camping loops to fill FW tanks. Typically the only place you can drive up and fill your tank is at the dump station. They have non potable water at the dump hole, and pending on the CG, 20-50 feet away is a location to fill your potable water tanks, along the same roadway.

We pull into dump station road to fill our FW tank. There was retired gentleman ahead of us dumping his tanks. I spoke to him for a moment, while getting my FW hose out of the cargo hold. It was crazy hot, so I jumped back into the TV. He had an late 80's (??) class C MH, and he had just bought it in the spring. So he is a rookie, but said he had been almost every week (retired, and camps during the week). He initially appeared to know what he was doing.

Takes the cut garden hose at the sewer hole and rinses his sewer line. No big deal. Then he takes the same hose, shoves it down his gravity fill port for a few minutes to add some water to the FW tank. FYI, this hose was already connected to the non potable hose connection, so everyone over the course of the summer has been dropping it on the ground in the wet sewer slug, shoving it down their stinky slinky to rinse it.

DW and I were in shock.

I was glad he was affecting himself and only his family.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 02:26 PM   #12

Jagiven, that's a hard one to top! Thanks.
Old 04-05-2023, 03:04 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
I saw a bad one late last summer. Luckily it should not affect others.

Most of MN SP's do not have water in the camping loops to fill FW tanks. Typically the only place you can drive up and fill your tank is at the dump station. They have non potable water at the dump hole, and pending on the CG, 20-50 feet away is a location to fill your potable water tanks, along the same roadway.

We pull into dump station road to fill our FW tank. There was retired gentleman ahead of us dumping his tanks. I spoke to him for a moment, while getting my FW hose out of the cargo hold. It was crazy hot, so I jumped back into the TV. He had an late 80's (??) class C MH, and he had just bought it in the spring. So he is a rookie, but said he had been almost every week (retired, and camps during the week). He initially appeared to know what he was doing.

Takes the cut garden hose at the sewer hole and rinses his sewer line. No big deal. Then he takes the same hose, shoves it down his gravity fill port for a few minutes to add some water to the FW tank. FYI, this hose was already connected to the non potable hose connection, so everyone over the course of the summer has been dropping it on the ground in the wet sewer slug, shoving it down their stinky slinky to rinse it.

DW and I were in shock.

I was glad he was affecting himself and only his family.
He must have a strong immune system by now, if he isn't dead.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:38 PM   #14
Site Team

Our next doo neighbor brought me a cool red and white metal sign a couple of weeks ago. It reads "You Can't Fix Stupid". I don't know if I should hang it in the garage, or on the camper.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2023, 03:57 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFlightRisk View Post
Our next doo neighbor brought me a cool red and white metal sign a couple of weeks ago. It reads "You Can't Fix Stupid". I don't know if I should hang it in the garage, or on the camper.
When he gave it to you, did he say, "Here's your sign."?
Loaded-N-Rollin' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:16 PM   #16

With the surge of new campers over the last couple of years, most do not know any better. Instead of being critical, maybe go over and offer friendly guidance.

Nothing worse than a "know it all" who stands backs and watches without offering a helping hand.
Frosty42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 03:52 PM   #17
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loaded-N-Rollin' View Post
When he gave it to you, did he say, "Here's your sign."?
Yeah, she actually did, but kiddingly, since I have to have her house key in the garage for the monthly lock-out times. She's really a great lady, with a sense of humor.

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
JFlightRisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2023, 07:14 PM   #18

To Frosty the "know man"

"Critical" is when you aren't pleased that he didn't quite align parallel to the patio, or perhaps his trailer should be a tiny bit more level, or perhaps his welcome mat is a bit dirty. That's being critical. To not have enough brains to not care while you flush potentially deadly contaminants from your sewer hose into which you have plunged the spigot that the next unknowing camper will use to attach his clean water hose is nothing short of ignorant and most likely criminal. Had he not been 35+ years younger, I would have confronted him. Perhaps YOU are the guy I described???? Get a clue.
Old 04-07-2023, 05:26 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy View Post

Great, something else for my setup checklist! Never crossed my mind that the faucet could have been treated with e-coli.
Gas station pump handles have concerned me for years, that previous person possibly just picked a scab or booger.. or worse before filling up. I always wear gloves.
TS3 Hitch
Ms says I'm full of useless knowledge and other stuff...
ARoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2023, 07:58 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARoamer View Post
Great, something else for my setup checklist! Never crossed my mind that the faucet could have been treated with e-coli.
Gas station pump handles have concerned me for years, that previous person possibly just picked a scab or booger.. or worse before filling up. I always wear gloves.
I always wear gloves when pumping diesel. I don't think that I've met a pump yet that isn't covered in fuel. Toss the gloves in the bed and then I don't have to smell diesel from my hands and then steering wheel for days after fueling.