Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-21-2023, 06:44 PM   #1

when you break down

question when towing a camper/ fifth wheel , and your tow vehicle breaks down what have you done?,,,did you call your road service ( which one) ? did they the tow your trailer? where to ( storage, impound lot, the place your truck was being repaired, campground)
bheisser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 07:10 PM   #2

Looks like there is a double post.

I have been mostly fortunate. I had an issue 2 years ago and was able to limp to camp and get the issue fixed.

My parents broke down just shy of a 100 miles from home. Their insurance has towing, 100 mile limit, any where you want to go. The suburban went on the flatbed, and the tt, was on the rear lift. Wrecker dropped the camper off in the yard, and took the tv to the shop.

I would make sure your towing policy. Allows you to tow to where every you want verse the closest shop.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2023, 08:38 PM   #3
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Looks like there is a double post.

I deleted the second one and moved this one over to the General RV Chat area. It should fit well here.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 05:07 AM   #4

Most tow companies are equipped to handle the breakdown with a single truck. Flatbed the TV and adapt the wheel lift to accept the trailer. The biggest problem occurs when the trailer has a suspension issue that prevents it from rolling. That scenario may require 2 trucks if the TV is disabled as well.

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 05:54 AM   #5

We were in Gunnison, CO for our oldest daughters wedding. So at least some freinds and family were in town. Truck broke down at a restaurant on monday evening, after our daughter rode off into the sunset on a 2 mule drawn carriage the previous Saturday. Called a local to bring 4 of us back to the campground. This was a Monday before tha 4th of July on the coming Friday. 3 shops around, nobody could touch my truck for 2 weeks.
Rented a car at the Gunnison airport. They don't rent for out of state travel, mostly for people to get from the airport to Crested Butte up the hill. Drove 3 hours one way to CO Springs to rent a one way ride back to St. Louis. Then back to the campground in Gunnison. Over 1300$ invested in car rentals.
I want to note the GUNNISON KOA WAS ZERO HELP with the situation. They just wanted the trailer gone since the campground was rented out for the holiday weekend.
Got a local to tow our trailer to the mule breeding ranch for storage. Left for home on Wednesday, didn't want to be on the road on the holiday.
3 weeks later my truck was repaired. Got the new sil to pick up my truck from the shop and take it to their house. Flew into Gunnison, via Houston, TX and picked up all of my junk. Drove 1000 miles home solo.
Total cost- 1100$ towing and repair, 1300$ in car rentals,and 700$ for the flights.

Got another one for ya. 2 years later. We just spent most of the day at Mesa Verde np. Stopped at the trailer parking lot on the way out to pick up the trailer and have some sandwiches for a late lunch. Hooked up the trailer while the dw made lunch. Ready to roll, truck just goes click when the key was turned. Starter had a dead short. Beat on the starter for a 1/2 hour, finally turned over. Don't know if it was the beating, of if it had time to cool off. This time we stayed at The Tall Texan rv park in Gunnison. Did not turn off the truck until we artived in Gunnison. The rv park allowed me to swap the starter in their park. Got the sil to take me to an auto parts store to procure a new starter. Bonus, the starter was a newer model gear reduction starter, that sucker really sings.
Things probably would have been worse, if not for family/friends 1000 miles from home.
Beginning to think my truck has an issue with Colorado. Never breaks down near home.
Old and soft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 07:49 AM   #6

We've had this twice. Depending on your roadside assistance program the TV may be included but there will be an extra cost for the TT. We have AAARV+ and they popped my truck in the flatbed and hooked the trailer to a ball on the back and slowly we went.

In both cases the drivers were professional and really took care to make certain everything was correct.
TaftCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2023, 09:45 AM   #7

I have AAA RV I broke down in florence ky, (trans went out) blocking exit ramp , called AAA , in the meantime a good Samaritan (a true angel) towed me and my truck off the highway exit to a gas station parking lot. The tow driver ( very unpleasant person) showed up and would not tow my travel trailer "it was not " disabled" , she took my truck to a Chevy dealer and left me and my wife with the trailer. ( she would have taken one of us with her ,,and only one. I was able to get a u haul box truck five miles away which I had to walk ( no Uber lift, taxi etc) tow driver stated she was not a taxi cab,,which I used to tow my trailer the reamaining 230miles to Cleveland oh.
now to be fair, after reaching out to AAA corporate and the president , I did receive an "apology" that it was not handled properly. that each AAA district has its policies
that they should have took my trailer. ( where they could /would) I am not sure, part of my reason for this post
they explained if the driver only has room for 1 passenger which is often the case. depending on the circumstances they may call for another truck for passenger transport or reach out to the locall police
they reimbursed my U-Haul cost ($300), but that doesn't help when you are stranded and need help

I have now added good Sam to my repertoire but not sure if they are better etc
thanks
Old 04-22-2023, 09:57 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old and soft View Post
We were in Gunnison, CO for our oldest daughters wedding. So at least some freinds and family were in town. Truck broke down at a restaurant on monday evening, after our daughter rode off into the sunset on a 2 mule drawn carriage the previous Saturday. Called a local to bring 4 of us back to the campground. This was a Monday before tha 4th of July on the coming Friday. 3 shops around, nobody could touch my truck for 2 weeks.
Rented a car at the Gunnison airport. They don't rent for out of state travel, mostly for people to get from the airport to Crested Butte up the hill. Drove 3 hours one way to CO Springs to rent a one way ride back to St. Louis. Then back to the campground in Gunnison. Over 1300$ invested in car rentals.
I want to note the GUNNISON KOA WAS ZERO HELP with the situation. They just wanted the trailer gone since the campground was rented out for the holiday weekend.
Got a local to tow our trailer to the mule breeding ranch for storage. Left for home on Wednesday, didn't want to be on the road on the holiday.
3 weeks later my truck was repaired. Got the new sil to pick up my truck from the shop and take it to their house. Flew into Gunnison, via Houston, TX and picked up all of my junk. Drove 1000 miles home solo.
Total cost- 1100$ towing and repair, 1300$ in car rentals,and 700$ for the flights.

Got another one for ya. 2 years later. We just spent most of the day at Mesa Verde np. Stopped at the trailer parking lot on the way out to pick up the trailer and have some sandwiches for a late lunch. Hooked up the trailer while the dw made lunch. Ready to roll, truck just goes click when the key was turned. Starter had a dead short. Beat on the starter for a 1/2 hour, finally turned over. Don't know if it was the beating, of if it had time to cool off. This time we stayed at The Tall Texan rv park in Gunnison. Did not turn off the truck until we artived in Gunnison. The rv park allowed me to swap the starter in their park. Got the sil to take me to an auto parts store to procure a new starter. Bonus, the starter was a newer model gear reduction starter, that sucker really sings.
Things probably would have been worse, if not for family/friends 1000 miles from home.
Beginning to think my truck has an issue with Colorado. Never breaks down near home.
This is what I am concerned with, I am wondering what people without the resources you describe ( and I posses to a certain extent do) some one towing a 5th wheel through a major city on a Friday nite 1000 miles from home. where do they store it...my thought is you have it towed to a RV repair shop under the guise to have it repaired (if they get to it before your truck is fixed (not likely) have them do some maintenance items otherwise just pick it up.
Old 04-22-2023, 10:07 AM   #9

what would be really cool, is if someone had a post section of people needing emergency help, (stranded etc) and other "members" who are part of the reciprocal group would be willing to assist, (tow the camper to a storage facility, get them to a rental counter etc., by no means a roadside assistance or such, just the person who is totally stuck and can not get the proper assistance
I know some people worry about liability etc, but I don't, I would be willing to help a fell rv'r broken down in my area.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:08 AM   #10

I had a break down (starter died) while towing my boat. The towing company would only tow the vehicle not the boat. I had to have a friend come and get it.
Old 04-22-2023, 11:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by us71na View Post
I had a break down (starter died) while towing my boat. The towing company would only tow the vehicle not the boat. I had to have a friend come and get it.
us71na did you have a trailer policy or only a car tow policy
Old 04-24-2023, 01:57 PM   #12

I had a breakdown twice while towing.
Both times they loaded the truck on a rollback and connected the trailer to the hitch on the towtruck. Took it to the dealer the first time and I got lucky the second time we went to Auto Zone and found that someone who changed the thermostat forgot to tighten the cap after refilling. I won't say who that was.... PLEAD the 5th!!

ROOF REPLACEMENT

PARTIAL FLOOR REPLACEMENT
Scott91370 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:13 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Both times they loaded the truck on a rollback and connected the trailer to the hitch on the towtruck. Took it to the dealer the first time and I got lucky the second time we went to Auto Zone and found that someone who changed the thermostat forgot to tighten the cap after refilling. I won't say who that was.... PLEAD the 5th!!
We've probably all known that "Someone" at some point in our adult lives....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 02:36 PM   #14

Most of the above are good things but the first thing to do is to make sure you are safe. Not just warning lights but is this even a safe place to sit in or get out and move around.

I forgot on the side of I95 that I had towing and changed the tire myself. But on reflection I should have called it in and waited. Just way to much traffic inches from the RV that I was working on.

Funny thing, I locked my self out years ago, called AAA and they signed me up then sent out a locksmith. for less than just calling the locksmith and then I had a year left.
200 Watts solar panels from Renogy

Prev. '14 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland, gas 3.6 V6
RogerR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 04:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bheisser View Post
This is what I am concerned with, I am wondering what people without the resources you describe ( and I posses to a certain extent do) some one towing a 5th wheel through a major city on a Friday nite 1000 miles from home. where do they store it...my thought is you have it towed to a RV repair shop under the guise to have it repaired (if they get to it before your truck is fixed (not likely) have them do some maintenance items otherwise just pick it up.
This is a good idea.

Quote:
what would be really cool, is if someone had a post section of people needing emergency help, (stranded etc) and other "members" who are part of the reciprocal group would be willing to assist, (tow the camper to a storage facility, get them to a rental counter etc., by no means a roadside assistance or such, just the person who is totally stuck and can not get the proper assistance I know some people worry about liability etc, but I don't, I would be willing to help a fell rv'r broken down in my area.
This is a fantastic idea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerR View Post
Most of the above are good things but the first thing to do is to make sure you are safe. Not just warning lights but is this even a safe place to sit in or get out and move around.
This. I was fortunate with a recent breakdown that I was able to get off the road, though I was concerned about boondocking right there. Two tensioner pulleys on my truck broke off their arms, shredding the belt in the process. I had a belt with me, but that doesn't matter when the pulleys are broken. I had the truck towed to a nearby shop, and the campground we were going to (only five miles away) knew a local who towed the camper for the princely sum of eight Andrew Jackson trading cards. I took a Lyft to a nearby Turo rental for a few days, and we ended up drastically accelerating our plan to upgrade to a new truck, and made a deal with my son to get him the old truck after it was repaired.

For myself, were I helping someone out, I'd just want them to cover my fuel if it was a significant distance. Otherwise, I'm just helping someone out of a jam.
Old 04-24-2023, 08:59 PM   #16

Quote:
what would be really cool, is if someone had a post section of people needing emergency help, (stranded etc) and other "members" who are part of the reciprocal group would be willing to assist, (tow the camper to a storage facility, get them to a rental counter etc., by no means a roadside assistance or such, just the person who is totally stuck and can not get the proper assistance
I know some people worry about liability etc, but I don't, I would be willing to help a fell rv'r broken down in my area.
I've seen a few people get help like this through my local 4wd association facebook page. There's usually some local camping/4wd/off road groups with lots of people willing to help someone out!
Old 04-24-2023, 09:34 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott91370 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
We've probably all known that "Someone" at some point in our adult lives....
I did that, had the tt. Made it about 70 miles before I realized something was seriously wrong. Wife noticed the smell of coolant, about 40 miles earlier. Pulled into a parts store and picked up a couple gallons of coolant.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2023, 10:22 PM   #18

As I was heading out camping for one of the last times, my truck engine began misfiring badly, shaking the heck out of my truck. I slowly pulled over to the side of the road and called the Road Service number provided by my insurance company. I was never able to talk to a person, it was all automated. Never really got anything resolved so I called my buddy and he towed my trailer back to his house, and I drove my truck, and there were no misfires on that drive.

After having the truck checked out at two different dealers I learned that my HEMI suffered the cam shaft / lifter failure the 5.7 engines are known for. Reading up on it I learned that once there's enough metal wear to cause the problem my truck was having, it was very likely the engine was trashed from metal shavings in the engine.

Ended up having the engine replaced with a Chrysler corp. rebuilt engine, along with the torque converter and water pump for good measure (they had 150k on them so I figure it was good preventative maintenance to have those replaced too, while the engine was being replaced). 8000 miles later, the "new" $12k engine replacement is running great. Much cheaper than buying a new or unknown-condition used vehicle. I plan to keep the truck forever now.
SmokerBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2023, 07:51 AM   #19

Quote:
question when towing a camper/ fifth wheel , and your tow vehicle breaks down what have you done?,,,did you call your road service ( which one) ?.........
Tow vehicle broke down due to a faulty fuel sender...............called AAA who sent a service tech out to add enough diesel in the tank to allow the sender to allow start/operate the enginet and travel to the next fuel stop. If that did not fix it they would have towed the tow vehicle with the fifth wheel trailer or both separately to a repair shop.
Old 04-25-2023, 09:30 AM   #20

We broke down due to spare tire fire under the bed. ASAP we exited and I went after the fire with the extinguisher....successfully. Called AAA and they would only tow the truck up to 130 miles without extra charge due to the coverage I have, AAA Plus. No trailer towing...at all. Had the truck towed to the closest dealership, who then discovered burned wire harness and had to replaced, took three days. They assisted with getting someone to pick up the trailer from the highway at my expense and allowed me to keep the trailer on their lot once we got it back. Because of the number of thieves who actually drive the highways looking for trailers to steal from the roadside and just about everywhere else they find them unattended, I since then have on board, a ball lock and a padlock to go through the 'slipper' that holds the ball inside the coupler. I haven't had to use them since then, but I highly recommend having them just in case.

"We'll be friends until we're old and senile,....then we'll be new friends."
muckinfuss is offline   Reply With Quote