Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Closed Thread

Old 03-16-2022, 03:34 PM   #41

Noob steep learing curve

[QUOTE=msherw;1035218]... many noobs bought on time [monthly payments] and now see they are paying for a product they don't use every day.

The RV market will suffer some from the glut of vehicles but some folks wanting to upgrade for a fraction of new cost can do so -- it pays to wait.[/QUOTE)
My noob experience began nine years and about 11 months ago when I paid cash for my first camper, a 2012 Jayflight SLX 185RB. Pulled it off the lot in Tulsa, and to my dad's house (he was living in an assisted facility) ran a chain through both rear wheels to keep it from leaving involuntarily and began planning my first misadventure. Did a 'shakedown' run to Palo Duro Reservoir (Hansford County Texas) without incident in late May. Nice to have water, electricity and a dump station handy! Things went so well I booked a site in New Mexico in Cimarron Canyon in June. Pulled into Tolby campground about 300pm and found my reserved spot. No water...no power...no nuttin...even though the reservation said had 'full hookups'. It didn't. I had 10 foot sewer hose and a 20 foot fresh water hose AND THAT WAS IT for a week of dry camping. And the first morning I woke up in the mountains, no propane. I had watched a man from Texas pull in the night before and rig up in about two hours. He appeared to know what he was doing. I began troubleshooting and found no propane to the water heater, fridge or furnace although the solo tank was full. The man came over and offered assistance.

His name was Lee, he told me he had been coming 'to the mountains' every year since 1946 either with his parents, or wife, so he knew a thing or two about 'camping'. He tapped on the propane tank and asked for a blade screw driver. Long story short, I had gone to Eagle Nest and bought a $35 regulator for the cook top, that didn't fix it. Lee vented propane from the overfilled tank and presto, I was in business. Over the next 10 days my soon to be DW and I got to know him and his DW and early on in our getting to know each other he laughed one night and said "You appear to know a bunch about a whole lotta things, but you don't know anything about campers and camping!" He was right, and set about enlightening me about 'the lifestyle'. In late July they stood up for us at the Vietnam War Memorial in Angel Fire and we are good friends to this day.
Old 03-16-2022, 04:41 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by HAL9001 View Post
There will always be rude and thoughtless people. RVing usually requires a lot of dealing with others. I find that the majority of fellow campers are aware of RV/camping etiquette and are, for the most part, considerate. But of course, it only takes a few to ruin things, and there's always a few.

The rudest thing I've encountered this year is the blatant flying of political flags. We are all on vacation here folks and we're just trying to relax and get away from it all for a short while. Whatever political flag you fly on either side is definitely going to upset people. Why intentionally do something that's sure to upset your fellow campers while they're on their vacation? How awful is that? Please leave your divisive political views at home and let's all try to be friends and have a good time at least while we're camping. Please don't ruin it for others.
I guess you never heard of the first amendment ?censorship and cancel culture are the bane of a free society. If you don’t like the display ignore it and don’t engage in political conversation. As the fundamental adage goes I may not agree with what you have to say but I’ll defend… It’s the price of a free society, or are you ready to give that up too.
Old 03-16-2022, 05:53 PM   #43

I just wish all the newbies would be sensible, respectful and considerate to others, everything else doesn’t affect me.
Old 03-16-2022, 06:32 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodpod View Post
I guess you never heard of the first amendment ?censorship and cancel culture are the bane of a free society. If you don’t like the display ignore it and don’t engage in political conversation. As the fundamental adage goes I may not agree with what you have to say but I’ll defend… It’s the price of a free society, or are you ready to give that up too.

You didnt really address the issue, just offered old cliche responses.

The issue is why do some feel it necessary to drag their politics around and have to display it for all to see; in a place where we all go to "relax and leave it all behind" for our brief enjoyable time there?
Old 03-16-2022, 06:45 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelingjw View Post
Yesterday the following occurred.
1. Woke up and noticed water regulator gauge had broken; wasn't even freezing the night before.
2. Checked the propane tank levels (after purchasing two new gauges a few months ago) and saw they were both near empty. I had just filled them both 3 days before. Found out later both gauges were not accurate.
3. While traveling the plastic fender above the wheel on the TT decided to go flying. Have to replace it.
4. High winds along the road (not above 15 mph): Lost my second propane tank lid. Bought a new one and fastened it on with radiator clamps.
3. Check engine light went on.

We have been RV'ing for 4 years. None of this was especially concerning except the check engine light. (I recognized that gas station attendent didn't put the gas cap back on correctly and light is now off). But, my point is that these things happen in the RV life and while it didn't really phase us, at the end of the day I was a bit irriated. Many people who think that RV'ing is like staying in a hotel are not going to last.
I felt your pain on all the issues you have faced—until I got to the part where you said “the gas station attendant had put your cap back on wrong”. Gas station attendant? Didn’t even know those existed anymore, anywhere! None—or very few—in our neck of the woods, that’s for sure. I’ve had the check engine light come on a couple of times and had no one to blame but myself for putting the cap on wrong!
Old 03-16-2022, 08:50 PM   #46

Quote:
The First Amendment gives us the “right” to express an opinion. It doesn’t mean you SHOULD in every situation. Slapping up a giant political flag or two pretty much guarantees you’re going to tick off half your fellow campers, or at least make them think less of you. Why do that just because you can? For most of us, a campground is a place to relax and leave the crazy world behind for a bit, not insist on exercising your “rights.”
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:03 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxrobertson View Post
You didnt really address the issue, just offered old cliche responses.

The issue is why do some feel it necessary to drag their politics around and have to display it for all to see; in a place where we all go to "relax and leave it all behind" for our brief enjoyable time there?

Of course I addressed the issue. you don't want to be bothered by differing points of view. And that's fine. So i guess you don't see offensive billboards on the journey to your favorite spot, how about the offensive bumper stickers on the cars that pass you, how about the annoying dialects you have trouble understanding. Let's ban them all so that your delicate sensibilities will not be bruised. If you're the kind of person to let things bother you, no amount of accommodation will suffice. Take your own advice, relax and enjoy your time out there on the road. Life is about going with the flow, even when it's running counter to you wishes. deal with it.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:15 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
The First Amendment gives us the “right” to express an opinion. It doesn’t mean you SHOULD in every situation. Slapping up a giant political flag or two pretty much guarantees you’re going to tick off half your fellow campers, or at least make them think less of you. Why do that just because you can? For most of us, a campground is a place to relax and leave the crazy world behind for a bit, not insist on exercising your “rights.”
You also have the right to be offended of you want to. If so best to either ignore the irritant or move on. Stop wasting your time and energy on things of no consequence. You'll lead a happier less stressful life, do you really think that THOSE people care what you think of them?
Old 03-16-2022, 09:26 PM   #49

Quote:
You also have the right to be offended of you want to. If so best to either ignore the irritant or move on. Stop wasting your time and energy on things of no consequence. You'll lead a happier less stressful life, do you really think that THOSE people care what you think of them?
Well, YOU seem to. But you’re right, I’ll ignore the irritant.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 03-16-2022, 09:42 PM   #50
Site Team

Thread closed

2012 Jay Flight 19RD
2016 Ford F150 XLT 2X4 SC 3.5L Eco Max Tow
2010 Tundra TRD DBL Cab (Traded)
2 new fluffy Corgis, Bayley and Stanley
Closed Thread