Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2020, 08:57 PM   #1
crl

Worth upgrading to a 5’r?

My DW and I have a White Hawk 28RL that is a very nice TT but has a few things we would like that are missing and we would love to have a bedroom slide. I’m not sure if we will upgrade, especially with the current rv sales situation, but as I continue to “ponder” I can’t help but wonder if we should upgrade to a 5th wheel.

We really don’t want a huge rv, we camp in state parks and travel the Rockies a lot. Any Input on the plus and minuses of a 5th wheel over a travel trailer? It is still a given that we will stay in the 30’ or slightly shorter unit. I have ample room on my TV since it is a 2500HD and should handle anything we would remotely consider.

Just looking for thoughts to continue to fuel the fire.
crl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 09:14 PM   #2

The 5er will definitely tow easier. It comes down to do you wanna make the change, spend the money etc. if I was to go bigger and had a bumper pull I would definitely make the switch to a 5er...
Old 09-02-2020, 10:13 PM   #3

Curious - how much different is the towing? I get that turns are easier, and overall length of the vehicle is less than with a similarly outfitted TT, but beyond that, is there a difference in towing?

My second curiosity - it seems like 5th wheel's have about the same layout as TT's of similar length, but maybe taller ceilings (a tall ceiling would certainly be nice). What are the other benefits?

I never looked at 5th wheel's because my 2012 RAM 2500 payload numbers never added up with putting ~1500 lbs in the bed of the truck, plus a family of 5. But as we get older, and the kids are adults and don't come with us as often, it would be more reasonable from a payload perspective now. (And, to be fair, I put a lot in the back of the truck when we travel, which, with a 5th wheel, would have to be shifted into the trailer, so payload capacity would increase there as well).
ecksdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:07 AM   #4

Once you pull a fifth wheel, you will never go back to a tag along. No sway issues, you need to make wider turns, allot more storage in a FW.
RipinSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 08:06 AM   #5

We did this too. Towing is much more stable. No drama next to a semi or a cross wind in comparison. Storage is better since you have a larger basement area in a 5er, also generally easier to load, etc. due to a larger opening.

Downside is you lose your bed space to carry items while towing, especially if you have a cover.
atlantaM3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:02 AM   #6

Our current TT has been flawless for us since we purchased it. I have done many mods / upgrades but the DW wants a fifth wheel. I do as well as I have some debilitating back injuries and it would be easier to hook / unhook a fiver but I am so happy with our current trailer I can't bring myself to make the change....

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:33 AM   #7

You may find it difficult to find a 5er 30' or under with a bed slide. I have a bed slide in my current trailer and any future trailer will have to have one because once you have a bed slide, you can't go back. I don't think Jayco makes a 5er or a TT under 30' with a bed slide however other manufacturers do such as these.
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...te/2614BS/5190
https://forestriverinc.com/rvs/trave...te/2608BS/4401
TCNashville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 09:51 AM   #8
Site Team

It's hard to find a fifth wheel under 30'.
https://www.trailerlife.com/rv-gear/...heel-trailers/

Jayco and Grand Design have offerings. CCC will still be a limiting factor.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:37 AM   #9

Hitch Weight and truck box use

Maybe, I'm an anomaly but I went from a 5th wheel to a pull behind. Towing is a little different but I haven't had any sway issues with our new trailer. One thing to be mindful of is if you need to use your box for hauling anything like plywood the hitch needs to come out. The 5th wheel hitch is by no means lightweight and can be a 2 person job to take out.
kevysinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 11:41 AM   #10
Site Team

Unless you have a Andersen Ultimate.
Hughes PWD SP-50A, TST TPMS
Gator roll-up bed cover
B&W Turnover ball, Companion Std hitch
Can't find what you're looking on JOF? Try Jayco Owners Forum Custom Google Search
norty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 12:22 PM   #11

The DW and I have a 5ther and love it. All the advantages have been mentioned above. Easy to tow, less sway, easy to load and unload, set up, and much more storage space. I can't imagine going back to a bumper pull. You do, however, lose bed space in the TV. But the advantages far outweigh the disadvantages in my book.
RFactor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 06:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantaM3 View Post
We did this too. Towing is much more stable. No drama next to a semi or a cross wind in comparison. Storage is better since you have a larger basement area in a 5er, also generally easier to load, etc. due to a larger opening.

Downside is you lose your bed space to carry items while towing, especially if you have a cover.
X2

We went from a 27DSRL pull behind to a 28.5 RSTS fifth wheel. So much easier to tow and quite a bit of storage. The headroom and interior space is great especially with the 3 slides. We really love it and it’s perfect for the two of us. You do lose some bed space in the TV but not an issue for us.
2nOZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
Unless you have a Andersen Ultimate.
Or have a cherry picker on hand. Picked one up from harbor freight some time ago.
sturgissteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgissteele View Post
Or have a cherry picker on hand. Picked one up from harbor freight some time ago.
Or ceiling mounted winch. $250 bux and lifts ours right out of the bed with one person...

It's all about tradeoffs. Our 377 5er tows fantastic unless it's really windy. The space is phenomenal for our family of five and we don't hesitate spending weeks stsying in it.

The other thing to consider is height. Anytime you go to the 5er you're signifcantly increasing your height. You will need to be cognizant when you're towing, low branches, overhangs, utility lines, etc....
Slurugger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 12:59 PM   #15

Very true on the height thing. I find for concern dealing with height than length. Trees are the biggest issue. In my area I have to avoid certain roads due to low trees. I’ve been in some campground to where I just had to go slow and let the smaller branches scrape over the top.
2024 Chevy 3500HD DRW
TxLoser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2020, 01:06 PM   #16

Take
a look at this Half Ton Towable with Full Bed Slide! 2021 Rockwood 2608BS Ultralite Travel Trailer. Its a trailer with a bed slide at the size you want. I prefer a trailer as I boondock and carry a lot of heavey/bulky items in the bed of my truck.
JonathanCP is offline   Reply With Quote