Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Go Back   Jayco RV Owners Forum > Jayco Life > Campfire Chat
Click Here to Login

Old 07-29-2020, 10:56 PM   #1

It’ll never happen to me — oh, no!

I’ve read more than one post here advising to shut your water main valve off when you go on trips. While I thought it was good advice — and did shut off some valves to the washer and toilets — I guess I never really thought a pipe would break. It won’t happen to me, right? Well, I just got done wet-vacuming and mopping up a flooded bathroom and utility room — the line under the sink ruptured. Thankfully we were here and caught it within minutes. But we had just returned from a trip this week and had it happened then, it would have been disastrous. I am now a convert and will always shut the water off when we’re gone. And all the sinks are getting new lines!
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
LuckyDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #2

Did the line itself burst or was it at a fitting. Do you think it could have been a faulty regulator?
Old 07-30-2020, 06:40 AM   #3

I always shut the supply off at the post when leaving our camper for any length of time. Biggest inconvenience is coming back and using the bathroom and THEN remembering the water is shut off...LOL

2022 33RBTS
Progressive Industries EMS - Hardwired
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Air Lift Rear Bags w/ On Board Compressor (Pending)
2016 28BHBE - (Traded and Missed already)
Marcm157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcm157 View Post
I always shut the supply off at the post when leaving our camper for any length of time. Biggest inconvenience is coming back and using the bathroom and THEN remembering the water is shut off...LOL
Funny you said that, I have a tag at the front door handle that reads “water”. It helps me to remember to turn it off as well as on.
Old 07-30-2020, 07:18 AM   #5
Site Team

A little off the subject, but I also started shutting the water off at home when we leave for vacation. I've had the pipes to our kitchen break twice now (old copper lines) and thankfully we were home to find the problem before it did much damage.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 07:19 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunce the traveler View Post
Funny you said that, I have a tag at the front door handle that reads “water”. It helps me to remember to turn it off as well as on.
Going to have to do this! I am reaching the point in life where I can't remember why I walked into a room....

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 07-30-2020, 09:00 AM   #7

Quote:
Going to have to do this! I am reaching the point in life where I can't remember why I walked into a room....
This is the sign of a vibrant mind... you know you are ALWAYS thinking of something so you forget things that are not important.. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 09:31 AM   #8

Quote:
Funny, I don’t remember this post!
Old 07-30-2020, 09:47 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnightmoon View Post
A little off the subject, but I also started shutting the water off at home when we leave for vacation. I've had the pipes to our kitchen break twice now (old copper lines) and thankfully we were home to find the problem before it did much damage.
Just to clarify — it was the valve in the house bathroom sink, not the TT. (Yes, old copper pipes and 22-year-old valves.) Ironically, I’m pretty religious about turning off the water at the post when we leave the TT. Luckily we were home and hadn’t gone to bed yet. But that much water in the trailer would have been a disaster.
😁 "If a man says he’ll fix something, he will. There’s no need to remind him every 6 months.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:04 AM   #10

Interesting... here is another thread on plumbing issues that put our RV's at great risk!

https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...ine-77504.html
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 11:24 AM   #11

Years ago my mom and sister were leaving on a 10 day trip. My dad had passed away but always told us to turn off the water to the house before we leave on a trip. To make a long story short, my mom couldn't figure out where to turn it off in her new house before she left on the trip. Unfortunately the plastic tubing that fed the ice cube maker on the back of the frig decided to spring several leaks shortly after they left. When they arrived home 10 days later, the house was full of water...unbelievable damage. They had to move out while repairs were done. Ever since then...we always shut our water off when we leave. We also have copper tubing on the back of our frig....and we turn our hot water heater down...or on vacation mode...not sure which...my husband handles it.
Old 07-30-2020, 11:51 AM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
Just to clarify — it was the valve in the house bathroom sink, not the TT. (Yes, old copper pipes and 22-year-old valves.) Ironically, I’m pretty religious about turning off the water at the post when we leave the TT. Luckily we were home and hadn’t gone to bed yet. But that much water in the trailer would have been a disaster.
Thanks for the clarification. Sorry I miss read it the first time through.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:40 AM   #13

We had it happen while we were home, well, I wasn't home. We were actually camping seasonally. We turn the water and hot water heater off before we leave. My wife and kids had to go back home for something for a week. They turned the water back on, the hot water heater back on and turned the thermostats down then went out for a few hours while waiting for the house to cool down. When they got home, it was raining in the garage. The Hot Water Heater's expansion tank had sprung a leak. Fortunately, nothing in the garage was damaged and we only had to replace 4 sheets of plywood on the garage's ceiling.

To add insult to injury, the valve to turn off the water supply to the water heater failed, so they had to turn the water off to the whole house. Fortunately, a plumber was able to come out the next morning and fix it.

-Michael
michael.g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 09:03 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDuck View Post
I misread the post as well but none the less its amazing how destructive water can be whether home or camper!!

2022 33RBTS
Equalizer 4 Point WDH
2021 Ford F350 7.3
Old 07-31-2020, 09:30 AM   #15

That’s for sure and just the plumbing bill for replacing five sets of aging valves will be a hit. But definitely cheaper than replacing carpet, flooring, subfloors, mold removal etc would have been. My intent in the post was to remind fellow campers that things DO happen when you’re gone.