Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 09-02-2018, 03:33 PM   #61

Another reason I am thinking of opening my own RV driving school. 12 years of school bus driving and you should see the things I see. Now that is scary. Good luck out there.
spark of insanity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 03:51 PM   #62

I really think if done correctly you will have a winner.
RetiredLEO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:16 PM   #63

So, I don’t want to cast aspersions in his general direction but my wife and I watched one of our neighbors slowly deteriorate to the ravages of dementia but still tried to handle his bus sized rig on a tour up to the Yukon. Luckily, they went with another couple and the other guy quickly realized neighbor’s limitations.
He ended driving for the entire trip and neighbor ended up selling big rig the following year. Took a bath in a soft sales market, but luckily no-one got hurt. This time! R.I.P. Al.
I agree with the majority of comments that there should be better licensing for driving bus sized rigs...
guitarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:29 PM   #64

What's scarier, an old guy in a class A that shouldn't be driving a corolla, or an oblivious person with a 38' TT behind an avalanche or honda pilot swaying across multiple lanes without a care in the world?
GrumpyDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 05:46 PM   #65

A man needs to know his limitations. My first venture into RV's was a rented class C. At the time I rented it the guy actually tried to talk me into renting a class A ( more profit for him). There was absolute no way I was going to step into a class A with zero experience or training. I agree with REWahoo, the incident described by the OP sounds more like a result of dementia.

2018 Jayco 28RLS
2012 F-250 6.2L 3.73
Equalizer Hitch
Yamaha 2400ISHC
2edgesword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2018, 06:26 PM   #66

I rented a pretty large class C when my wife and I had our first kid. She was a newborn and we were sleeping maybe 3 hours per night. Looking back, it's lucky I didn't wreck that thing somewhere in the hills of Idaho, but it all worked out.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:48 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by norty1 View Post
It will buff right out!
I would love to see...heck, have the buffer that can do that!
Old 09-04-2018, 12:24 PM   #68

There are plenty of folks with drivers licenses who cant drive a lick. So another law to collect more money from me so that I can do something wont change it much IMO. Lots of people with dementia have valid drivers licenses and are driving right now because they don't have to do anything but pay the fee to renew the license they got when they were 15 years old. Adding another license probably wont change the fact.
lroyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 12:49 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by lroyson View Post
There are plenty of folks with drivers licenses who cant drive a lick. So another law to collect more money from me so that I can do something wont change it much IMO. Lots of people with dementia have valid drivers licenses and are driving right now because they don't have to do anything but pay the fee to renew the license they got when they were 15 years old. Adding another license probably wont change the fact.
So no more CDL's? School Bus, Air Brake, Haz-Mat, Tanker, Doubles endorsements?
In Illinois we have to take driving test on a regular basis: requires drivers age 75 and older to renew their licenses in person
requires both a vision test and road test for drivers ages 75 and older renewing in person
requires drivers ages 81 through 86 to renew their license every two years, and those 87 and older to renew annually, and
accepts requests from physicians and members of law enforcement or the judicial system to conduct an unsafe driver investigation.

The addition of endorsements for large Class A's, TT's, 5th Wheels, Class C's is not only for your safety but for everyone else who share's the highway with you. As I posted earlier: those who are capable have nothing to worry about and should be encouraged that others they share the road are responsible and are willing to be the best operators that they can be. If some are not able to get a endorsement..............then we're all better off for not having them share the road with us.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:27 PM   #70

I understand and respect every word you said and your point about commercial drivers is a good one and should be monitored and licensed because you could affect large groups of people with hazardous material or reckless driving of a school bus etc. But even in your state the guy who is 60 years old who gets dementia wont be checked for 15 years to see if he can pass a driving test. I guess we could all go get a RV driving test every year so the state can decide if we can operate the equipment we have but I don't think the government cares so much about protecting me from a bad driver as much as they do about getting revenue. The reason I believe the way I do is because I see people on the road everyday who cant drive. next time you are at a four way stop see who follows the rules. I would bet half don't know the rules. Just my opinion and again I respect yours as well.
Old 09-04-2018, 01:46 PM   #71

Quote:
I understand and respect every word you said and your point about commercial drivers is a good one and should be monitored and licensed because you could affect large groups of people with hazardous material or reckless driving of a school bus etc. But even in your state the guy who is 60 years old who gets dementia wont be checked for 15 years to see if he can pass a driving test. I guess we could all go get a RV driving test every year so the state can decide if we can operate the equipment we have but I don't think the government cares so much about protecting me from a bad driver as much as they do about getting revenue. The reason I believe the way I do is because I see people on the road everyday who cant drive. next time you are at a four way stop see who follows the rules. I would bet half don't know the rules. Just my opinion and again I respect yours as well.
Agreed 100%. There are always going to be cases that slip through the cracks. If this guy already owned his huge Class A and then slowly got dementia, there is nothing aside from a concerned family member who can remedy that situation. My concern lies more in the new owner never receiving instruction or certification from the get go. A 16 year old kid with enough cash could go buy a Class A today and drive it off the lot having never driven a thing in his life. All you need is a drivers license (which in no way prepares you for big rigs or trailers) and the money and your golden. This I have a problem with, the uneducated, unqualified owners being handed the keys to large heavy machinery with no regard to their operation. You’d hope that someone behind the wheel of a car at least took the drivers test or a class. At least even if they are complete idiots the might understand the most basic concepts in that case. Someone who can drive a car absolutely in no way is prepared to pull a huge trailer, or drive a rig the size of a semi. Stopping distance, cross wind effect, turning radius, backing procedures, and downhill braking safeties are just a few of the things that can cause disaster if you have no idea they exist. It’s going to be an ongoing problem and debate with good points on both sides.
430 amp/hr 6v battery bank
1000w Renogy hard wired inverter
2011 F350 Lariat, DWR 4x4, 6.7 turbo diesel
2017 Open Range, Mesa Ridge 374BHS
Screwby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 02:02 PM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
Agreed 100%. There are always going to be cases that slip through the cracks. If this guy already owned his huge Class A and then slowly got dementia, there is nothing aside from a concerned family member who can remedy that situation. My concern lies more in the new owner never receiving instruction or certification from the get go. A 16 year old kid with enough cash could go buy a Class A today and drive it off the lot having never driven a thing in his life. All you need is a drivers license (which in no way prepares you for big rigs or trailers) and the money and your golden. This I have a problem with, the uneducated, unqualified owners being handed the keys to large heavy machinery with no regard to their operation. You’d hope that someone behind the wheel of a car at least took the drivers test or a class. At least even if they are complete idiots the might understand the most basic concepts in that case. Someone who can drive a car absolutely in no way is prepared to pull a huge trailer, or drive a rig the size of a semi. Stopping distance, cross wind effect, turning radius, backing procedures, and downhill braking safeties are just a few of the things that can cause disaster if you have no idea they exist. It’s going to be an ongoing problem and debate with good points on both sides.
Here in CA we do have such rules, there are limits though. I look to another country as well for a way of dealing with this the UK. I actually have 2 driving licenses, 1 for CA and 1 for the UK, I took and passed my tests in both countries. Not getting into the specific of which is harder or anything like that. Now my UK license is refered to as a grandfather license this being that I am licensed to drive many vehicles in the UK upto a 7.5 metric ton truck. I am licensed to drive a car with a trailer of any size, etc. Since I passed my test the rules changed. Passing the test in a car will not automatically give you the same amount of classes such as a car with trailer. Now if you want to pull a caravan (UK travel trailer) or any smaller sized trailer you have to pass a special test to be certified to drive it. There are now driving schools with the equipment to teach you how to do it and help you pass your test.
2003 Ford F250 6.0 Diesel (Sold)
Reese Steadi-Flex (Sold)
DH, SWMBO, DS, & Dog
jpgale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2018, 03:33 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screwby View Post
X2
Old 09-04-2018, 03:41 PM   #74

Are not RV drivers required to have a driver’s license to match the weight of their vehicles? Similar to a commercial driver’s license. Seems like a “basic” driver’s license (for automobiles) have a weight max limit before having to have some type of additional license to drive a heavier vehicle (ie semi, large class A, big fifth wheel...)
Old 09-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJayco View Post
Are not RV drivers required to have a driver’s license to match the weight of their vehicles? Similar to a commercial driver’s license. Seems like a “basic” driver’s license (for automobiles) have a weight max limit before having to have some type of additional license to drive a heavier vehicle (ie semi, large class A, big fifth wheel...)
Not in most places. Up here in Canuck-land, you can drive whatever the heck you want for fun (RV's) with the same licence you can get at 16 years old.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:59 PM   #76

Have to keep in mind the bottom line which is:
A person who is inexperienced or totally inept can get a license to drive a large rig as easily as you can.
SCARY STUFF!!!!!
For those who go through a driver training program be sure to mention that to your insurance company........might be a discount.
Old 09-06-2018, 06:54 AM   #77

Lots of good points here and all are well taken as intended. I think what I learned more than anything is it is refreshing to be able to have a spirited debate without people getting belligerent and that is refreshing these days. Thanks for hearing me and thanks for all of your responses to my statements.
Old 09-06-2018, 08:00 AM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertJayco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrumpyDad View Post
Not in most places. Up here in Canuck-land, you can drive whatever the heck you want for fun (RV's) with the same licence you can get at 16 years old.
In TX, you can go up to 26,000 lbs (?) combined gross vehicle weight rating before you have to have a special endorsement on your license; private rigs are included in that restriction. There was a somewhat lengthy discussion on this forum not that long ago. Problem is that no one is aware of the requirement, including most LEOs from what I've heard. But there is a test administered by a state trooper that you must pass to attain the proper endorsement.

Anyway, that's a lot of rig before you have to prove to someone you can handle it.

There's also the annual "safety inspection" here. It probably isn't much, but the inspector is supposed to actually drive your rig to test it. Some do, some don't in my experience. He/she is not evaluating the driver, but I would like to hope this inspection process keeps some unsafe rigs off the road. Probably a bit too much optimism on my part though...

-2018 Greyhawk 29MV
-2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited (JLU) (Primary Toad)
-1994 Jeep Wrangler YJ (Secondary Toad)
-2014 Jay Flight 28BHBE & Ram 2500 6.4L CC 4x4 (sold)
Camper_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 01:12 PM   #79

Quote:
lots of good points here and all are well taken as intended. I think what i learned more than anything is it is refreshing to be able to have a spirited debate without people getting belligerent and that is refreshing these days. Thanks for hearing me and thanks for all of your responses to my statements.
x2