Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 11-01-2023, 09:34 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Cooper View Post
You would not want to have a Lifepo charging voltage at around 14.8 volts. Even though the float voltage drops down to between 13.2 and 13.8, you can’t control it.
Please let me know later when you do something, what you did and how well it works.
You are correct, wouldn't want that. Which is why my plan to engage the solenoid wouldn't be so great after I have the higher voltage converter as that would end up damaging the lead acid chassis battery.

My plan at a high level is to have the AUX Start solenoid independent of how it is now so nothing controls it except the Aux Start switch otherwise it is off. Then tie in my DC2DC charger at the solenoid (like how you did for your breaker switch), and add a LifePo4 100a converter/charger which will charge that coach battery(s) at the higher voltage when desired (I really don't want the battery(s) at 100% all of the time for a longer LifePo4 life), but I likely will leave the current converter setup intact which in mine isn't a smart charger\converter (I have to verify this one day and determine what exact model I have) but I have never seen any voltage other than 13.6 come from it (and I haven't checked it too many times but never saw more than that) so I believe it is simply a fixed voltage, no stages, power supply.

In any case, hopefully I will get around to it all this winter. I have been working in my shop to make room so I can do this work and stay out of the weather. My shop is deep enough except for a U shaped second level that will keep me from pulling in all of the way. I can pull in all but about the last ~3 feet of the RV, at least I will be out of most of the weather. If I was to remove the center of the U second level then I could pull in all the way, just another project maybe for another day... I have a lot of projects... lol ~CA
Old 11-02-2023, 10:01 AM   #42

Interesting info regarding the charging of the chassis battery. I currently use a separate trickle charger when in storage. Interested to hear how this works out.
mjdcwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2023, 10:57 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjdcwo View Post
Interesting info regarding the charging of the chassis battery. I currently use a separate trickle charger when in storage. Interested to hear how this works out.
I just went out and checked the Alante. I have it plugged into an extension cord with an adapter for 15 amps. I have a battery monitor on the house batteries. 13.1 volts. Checked the chassis battery while still connected. 13.1 volts.
So, it is working exactly as I wanted it to.
Kevin Cooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 12:00 PM   #44

I attached some electrical schematic drawings on this topic I've had from this website a while ago.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Chassis battery drain wrong.pdf (86.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf Chassis battery correct.pdf (88.0 KB, 9 views)
MikeRV4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2023, 12:20 PM   #45

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Thanks Mike... Your "correct" schematic is what I uploaded in post #31, and even with the tail light relay being powered by the ignition, the chassis batteries still drain unless you have some type of charger/BIM installed. For the life of me, I can't understand why Jayco doesn't just install a BIM in the first place.
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote