Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 06-30-2022, 09:41 AM   #1

Dynamat for doghouse

I've read several posts on this subject and can't seem to find how much was used to insulate the doghouse, did you use the extreme with the hood liner and how many layers of each.
Hope to hear back
Thanks
We have a 2018 Alante 26x
Rico 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:11 PM   #2

Take a look at this thread, particularly post #12, and it should answer most of your questions. I used one layer of Dynamat hoodliner and one layer of Dynamat extreme. Hardest part is getting doghouse removed, particularly screws in the back hidden by the center stack for radio etc.
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2022, 03:14 PM   #3

OOps, forgot link: https://www.jaycoowners.com/forums/f...use-70190.html
mtnprecept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2022, 06:36 AM   #4

Thanks for the info. When I took the center console out I saw that it looks like the doghouse has a 2-3 inch lip at the backside. If that's true i will need to raise the console up about 4-5 inch's to slide it out. Never a dull moment.
Rico 1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2022, 10:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norine View Post
Thanks for the info. When I took the center console out I saw that it looks like the doghouse has a 2-3 inch lip at the backside. If that's true i will need to raise the console up about 4-5 inch's to slide it out. Never a dull moment.
I had to remove my doghouse on my 2018 26x to fix a fuel leak issue last month. It is a 2" lip, the screws that secure it to the wood firewall are a pain to remove.

I had to remove the passenger cup/armrest section and a screw in the lower right behind the fake wood gauge cluster cover to get the dash up high enough to clear the 2" lip. This is in addition to the items in the post mtnprecept posted, which I had not read but figured out to do.

There was no insulation under mine, since the doghouse was out for the repair I added the extreme dynamat and hoodliner. I got that done to the doghouse this weekend in back in place, just need to put everything else back in place. Also added regular 1/4" dynamat around the entire edges to seal the doghouse as the existing seal did nothing.

I cut the 2" lip down to 1/2", it is still as stable with 1/2" versus 2". Plus it will have screws in it, just not as many and not hard to access. It goes in a a lot easier but not sure how easy it will be when the dash is put all back together.

The only thing I had to so with adding the dynamat is bend the two metal brackets inwards on the left & right to clear the thickness of the dynamat as it added 3/4"-1". Not sure if I will need to get longer screws for one in the front at the upper right/left. They are up high and not easily visible so can use any type screw.

If you have any questions, let me know ......
Attached Thumbnails
doghouse.jpg  
Balibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 10:03 AM   #6

2020 Precept 34 G.
For the doghouse we used:
- Dynamat extreme kit 36 sqft kit
- Dynaliner Hoodliner kit, 3/4 thick
- Dynamite tape
Two layers of Dynamat and then 1 layer on top of that of Dynaliner. Dynamat is best for killing HEAT; Dynaliner is best for killing NOISE. The Combination has worked very, very well.

We also used Kilmat (it's more flexible) and the remainder of the Dynamat and Dynaliner to line the front wheel wells. This cut the heat (and noise) tremendously at our feet.
Bernheimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2022, 08:47 PM   #7

I used one layer of dynamat extreme and one layer of dynamat hood liner.

Is night and day better.
apgarrett is offline   Reply With Quote