Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 01-06-2021, 04:03 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkassab View Post
Hoseit

Here's a pic of my vehicle stickers.... compare to yours.

Pic 1 is a Ford Sticker and clearly says 7/20 and the sticker (also from Ford) to the right also says 2020 Model.
Pic 2 is the Jayco sticker that says Date: 10/20

Since I bought my Precept in TN and live in NC.... I registered it myself. I received two different MSO (Manufacturer's Statement of Origin).... you only get MSOs if the vehicle was never titled. The Ford MSO said 2020 and the Jayco MSO said 2021. NC uses the "final" build/manufacture MSO for the registration year... so, mine says 2021.

Hope this helps you sort it out.

Mark
There are actually 2 VIN's on the vehicle. The Ford one is clearly shown, but the Jayco assigned VIN is cut off in the photo. The Jayco VIN - i.e the final VIN for the construction of the product - is the one that should be used for the registration, otherwise they are registering an incomplete product that doesn't have any of the safety or other requirement of the State.

VIN is universal an applies to all manufacturers. Beginning with the "1F" indicates made by Ford with the third digit the factory. Moving down to the 8th digit from the end is the year. "L" in the case of the visible Ford VIN indicated 2020. The Jayco VIN probably has a "M" 8th digit which is 2021 and represents the final product.
tizeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 04:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liven-good View Post
I just had to get a smog check done on my 2021 Jayhawk because California has to find ways to make everything painful and take your last nickel.... rant over.

However when the technician entered it into the state database as a 2021 he could not find it. I was about to be sent to the smog referee when he said hold up lemme check one more thing.

He then entered it as a 2020 model year vehicle and it was there and he was able to complete the smog check.

I believe the reason is cause the vehicle manufacturer (Ford) built it as a 2020 model and the states have that VIN registered for that model year. But the motorhome manufacturer (Jayco), built their 2021 model on that chassis.

Especially with the manufacturers being super backed up its possible the chassis was bought and are in their possession well before they complete the motorhome build part.

In the end i don’t know that it matters because warranties start at the time you take ownership of the new vehicle. The important this for me is that i got the 7.3 liter V-8 which i did.
That brings back some bad memories... our prior Motorhome was a nightmare to get emissions inspections too... The chassis was the prior model year from what the motorhome was registered as the later model year had major changes to emissions equipment. Every time they inspected our rig, they would fail it due to certain smog equipment being removed - that was not installed on the actual year of the chassis being built, but they insisted that it have it as the later model year had that smog part.
07 Toyota FJC & Yamaha Kodiak 400 ATV

SloPoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:23 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloPoke View Post
That brings back some bad memories... our prior Motorhome was a nightmare to get emissions inspections too... The chassis was the prior model year from what the motorhome was registered as the later model year had major changes to emissions equipment. Every time they inspected our rig, they would fail it due to certain smog equipment being removed - that was not installed on the actual year of the chassis being built, but they insisted that it have it as the later model year had that smog part.
Why do you even have smog checks anymore. WA state gave up on that last year or so

Why on earth would a 2021 even need to Visit the smog place.

Reason # 85 why I hate California
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 05:27 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoseit View Post
Hello,
Less than a week ago, I purchased a (on paper) 2021 Jayco Precept. I recently discovered the registration papers list it as a 2020. I went online and found a VIN lookup and sure as I am writing this .. its a 2020.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I am waiting for dealership to open. I either want full return of money or a true 2021.

Welcome feedback

Any update?

Personal opinion is you should have some room to negotiate especially if it isn't EXACTLY like you wanted to start with. It's cool they found one but I also view this as starting over when the year changes if it wasn't disclosed prior. Also if you did sign something and it didn't have the year right well paper and physical part not correct. I would refuse delivery until your happy.
imjustdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 06:11 PM   #25

Tru Dat Gripper...registered in NH as a Ford b/c that is what title said. They don't care who put what on the chassis. Insurance is so under a Ford. Luckily my model years matched though.
Brians first rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 08:50 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme View Post
I purchased a brand new Jayco Precept because I listened to advice from this forum when I should have really done my own research. I ended up losing a whole bunch of money by not paying $120 for a 1/2 hr consultation with an attorney.
Unfortunately you’re not going to get much sympathy from this forum because everybody thinks they are an expert in everything to do with RV ‘ s
Expert advice costs money and this is a chat room not expert room. Good luck.

Dude...... that might be the whiniest most self absorbed rant i have ever seen.

Just so i have this straight.....

1. You came to an online forum of Jayco owners, none of whom claim to be experts on anything, and answer questions from the best of their ability based on their personal experiences.

2. You chose to save $120 by not getting a professionals advice on something.

3. Then you believe an online forum of random strangers is at fault cause you made a decision that cost you money somehow.

You obviously missed the point of an online users forum. It’s likely you also blame McDonalds whenever you gain weight, and the barber when you go bald.... smh

Lot’s of good people on here whose only intention is to share their personal experiences, that didn’t deserve your rant.
Liven-good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #27

yep

Our 232RB was the same from Jayco.

The registration says 2020 but their web site showed our model was discontinued after 2019.
So "my. Assumption" 2019 was the build date but released in 2020 so CALLED a 2020.

Quote:
Hello,
Less than a week ago, I purchased a (on paper) 2021 Jayco Precept. I recently discovered the registration papers list it as a 2020. I went online and found a VIN lookup and sure as I am writing this .. its a 2020.

Has this ever happened to anyone? I am waiting for dealership to open. I either want full return of money or a true 2021.

Welcome feedback
Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 09:41 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightsky View Post
Ford manufacture date is 07/20, only 5 months old. It is a 2021 model, right?
When I retired from the USAF, my first job was a contractor employee at a GM assembly plant. We started building the new model year in May of the year before. So a vehicle built later in May 2000 was titled and listed as a 2001 model. The VIN sticker would show the build date as 05/2000.
2021 Keystone Cougar 27SABWE
Bandit12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2021, 10:37 PM   #29

Quote:
I purchased a brand new Jayco Precept because I listened to advice from this forum when I should have really done my own research. I ended up losing a whole bunch of money by not paying $120 for a 1/2 hr consultation with an attorney.
Unfortunately you’re not going to get much sympathy from this forum because everybody thinks they are an expert in everything to do with RV ‘ s
I find it extremely amusing that you are blaming this forum for your mistake and misfortune when you posted in Feb 2019 that you wish you would have listened to the feedback from the forum.....
Attached Thumbnails
97965A75-D5E5-428A-AB02-B84AA3CFF91C.jpg  

Rustynuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 01:14 AM   #30

Quote:
Hello,

Welcome feedback
How come it always feels better to know others share your problem? Happened to us too. Jayco Greyhawk 29MVP sold to us as 2018 but actually 2017 as registered based on VIN. I thought it was kind of shady but the MH was new, mileage just what it took to get from Elkhart to Missoula, warranty was full 2-year, and by far the best price for this model west of the Mississippi. We're 100% satisfied now that I have replaced the trifold sofa with recliners (that's another story). May I advise, consider how much this unit meets your wants & needs compared to an age discrepancy of less than 1 year, before you walk away. You're not hurting the dealer, they will just sell it to the next customer. But it may not be so easy for you to start your search all over again to find the right year model, with the right features, for the right price
CW5AVRet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 02:08 AM   #31

@ Livengood: I'm old enough to remember what California looked like before smog checks. Evidently you're not.
Velz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by tizeye View Post
There are actually 2 VIN's on the vehicle. The Ford one is clearly shown, but the Jayco assigned VIN is cut off in the photo. The Jayco VIN - i.e the final VIN for the construction of the product - is the one that should be used for the registration, otherwise they are registering an incomplete product that doesn't have any of the safety or other requirement of the State.

VIN is universal an applies to all manufacturers. Beginning with the "1F" indicates made by Ford with the third digit the factory. Moving down to the 8th digit from the end is the year. "L" in the case of the visible Ford VIN indicated 2020. The Jayco VIN probably has a "M" 8th digit which is 2021 and represents the final product.
Here's a pic of the Jayco full VIN TIZEYE mentioned above. As you can see, the "Jayco" VIN is not the standard form/# of charicters and there is no "M".

To be clear:
My Precept 34G is Model Year 2021
It was built in Sept/Oct 2020
The F53 chassis was built July 2020
My State, NC, titled as 2021 (No different than buying a model year 2021 Automobile in 2020)

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0450.jpg  
Old 01-07-2021, 08:00 AM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to Foretm
Quote:

What do you think the lawyer was going to tell you about Jayco and more specifically the precept, that you couldn't find out on your own with a bit of research? I mean you let the service manager drive it and take his opinion on how it drives?!?!? Man looking at your posts, you've done nothing but complain since you got the unit. If you're so unhappy, sell it, learn your lesson, and move on, but I agree with RustyNuts, you seemed to value the opinion when it suited you. You'll get plenty of sympathy if you approach it the right way, but looking at your posts, you bash anything and everything you come in contact with, why shoud we take you seriously?
Attached Thumbnails
Capture1.PNG  
Foretm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 08:30 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liven-good View Post
Dude...... that might be the whiniest most self absorbed rant i have ever seen.

Just so i have this straight.....

1. You came to an online forum of Jayco owners, none of whom claim to be experts on anything, and answer questions from the best of their ability based on their personal experiences.

2. You chose to save $120 by not getting a professionals advice on something.

3. Then you believe an online forum of random strangers is at fault cause you made a decision that cost you money somehow.

You obviously missed the point of an online users forum. It’s likely you also blame McDonalds whenever you gain weight, and the barber when you go bald.... smh

Lot’s of good people on here whose only intention is to share their personal experiences, that didn’t deserve your rant.

SMH. This whole topic reminds me of the crap that GM encountered back around 1970 +/- when people found out that their "precious" Oldsmobile automobile had a (horror) Chevrolet engine. Any sane person recognizes that there is a lag time between when an RV manufacturer receives a chassis and when the vehicle is completed. Vehicle manufacturers arbitrarily designate model years based on sheet metal, color, option changes, etc. If you're looking for a fight - pick it on something that really matters.
kluza2786 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:01 AM   #35

Now try and sell a 2021 rv private after purchasing from dealer with the model year on the registation and everyone will tell you its last years model (2020)
billcf7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 09:20 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velz View Post
@ Livengood: I'm old enough to remember what California looked like before smog checks. Evidently you're not.
I lived in Inglewood when every house in the LA Basin had a backyard incinerator to burn garbage. Never seemed to be a problem then. So called smog was first noted by the Spanish explorers in 1542. The called it The Bay of the Smoke. With all of the pollution controls, electric cars, etc. the smog is still there and will always be a place of air pollution just because of it's location.

https://www.sanluisobispo.com/news/l...e39059967.html

https://gizmodo.com/why-air-pollutio...-an-1572151647

Route 66 Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Hello,

Welcome feedback
I BOUGHT A 2020 JAYCO REDHAWK THE DOOR JAM SAYS 2019. Apparently its a common thing? Not cool.
arobinson6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 10:57 AM   #38

This thread is beating a "DEAD HORSE".....

From an article on the web:

The Federal Trade Commission has ruled that this is not unfair or deceptive that the motorhome and the chassis would have two different years of manufacture. In fact, California, Maryland, Michigan, and Wisconsin are the only states that require dealers to disclose to customers any difference in model years between the completed coach and the underlying chassis.

When a new owner takes his paperwork to the DMV for titling and registration, what should happen is the DMV should title the vehicle with the model year specified by the RV manufacturer. Sadly, it appears that not every DMV employee has “read the fine print in the contract,” or maybe they’re just obstinate. In cases where the DMV insists on titling the rig with the chassis model year, you can get help. Grab your phone and call the Recreation Vehicle Industry Association at 703-620-6003 and ask for the Government Affairs Office. Hopefully your stalemate will be resolved in a hurry with their help.
Old 01-07-2021, 12:47 PM   #39

@ Route 66: I lived in Westchester. We too had an incinerator, and I'm talking about petrochemical smog, not smoke. You know, the orange colored stuff?

We moved to Granada Hills in the San Fernando Valley in 1954, and over the next 10 years watched the orange stuff creep out there (especially into Glendale and Burbank).

I haven't lived in the area for 55 years, but in my infrequent visits I can certainly tell the difference, even with the increased population. With the inversion layer, smoke from the occasional fire is bad enough, we don't need the petrochemical stuff too.
Velz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2021, 04:35 PM   #40

My 2008 Jayco Seneca I on a 2007 Chevy 5500 chassis

After the warranty remember when you buy part for the chassis use the earlier year or you might get the wrong part. Engine should be good if manufactured in both year but other parts rehear to yer type item sometimes
Blackey is offline   Reply With Quote