Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 07-01-2021, 12:42 PM   #1

Satellite TV, please Help!

Really do not know where to start. First of all, not tech savvy at all, but am looking to buy a Sattelite Dish/Receiver, but not even sure what to look for. My TT has a single TV with a fixed batwing antenna, with the booster on the wall and a Cable TV In plug on the side. I am guessing that plug runs to the booster and Tees off to the batwing and then the TV. First of all, will that existing exterior plug support sattelite TV, or will I need to run a separate one inside? When I look at the TV Menu for channel scanning, the only two options are Air and Cable. Will this TV even support sattelite TV? I will need to subscribe to a Service, so I need everything, in Texas. Mainly camp in State/COE Parks. Any help is appreciated, because I do not know enough about this subject to even ask questions about equipment or service. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2021, 05:53 PM   #2

I use Directv and have for 20 years. I take the Genie receiver from my living room and use that in the RV. My trailer has the satellite hookup in the connection center, but I think the factory puts a splitter in the cable somewhere and Directv doesn't work with that. I put a second cable inlet behind my TV in the exterior slideout wall so that the LNB on the antenna is properly powered. This setup works great, and I use an antenna exactly the same as I have at home--that way I don't have to reprogram the receiver for a different antenna. My antenna is mounted on a portable base that I made. For aiming the antenna I use an inexpensive signal finder that I bought for about $25-$30 on Amazon, and it usually takes me about 3-5 minutes to acquire the signal. The signal finder is satellite specific--you select the satellite from the internal list so it will only search for that satellite and you don't get false readings. This setup works for me, simple and quick to set up.