Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
Jayco RV Owners Forum

Old 04-02-2022, 09:06 PM   #21

2016 2500 crew cab long bed. SLT Longhorn ( same as Big Horn ). Love this truck. Bought new for $45K ( Ahh those were the days ). Change fuel filters myself with OEM filters. Cost about $100 give or take. Have dealership do the oil/filter changes. Dealer around here has a pre-pay deal. $400 for 6 oil/filter changes over a 3 year span. It also includes tire rotation. That's cheaper than buying oil & filter and doing it myself. Ask your dealer, they may have something similar. My brother bought his 2015 3500 Tradesman new. His dealership had a deal where he paid $900 and gets 2 oil changes a year as long as he owns the truck. Wish I could have gotten that deal. Mileage is similar to what others here are getting. 18 in town/freeway mixed. 20s straight freeway. 12-13 towing a 35ft bumper pull. Ride for a truck is great. Had a few friends in the truck once, and one of them remarked the ride was better than his car. The long wheel base of the long bed probably has something to do with that.
You live and learn, or you don't live long.
If you don't punish your children, life will.
tuckerdog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 05:22 AM   #22

For what it's worth, I just got hosed by the dealer, and it was all my fault!! Took my Ram3500 for its breaking oil change at 10K miles and tire rotation. I expected to pay around $250 or so. My previous 1500 Eco Diesel would run around $225 but it used a fancy synthetic oil that was pricy. While there, the tech writer suggested I also change the fuel filters, 2 of them, as it was recommended with the oil change as well. here is where I agreed and screwed up!! Total bill was $624 big ones. Ok, take away the $30 for the tire rotation, and it is still $600. The filters were not overly expensive, but oh my, the labor charge was stunning. Over $170 for one filter, and $190 for the second one!! After paying and getting ready to go, my wife points to the driver's seat, and a big greasy smudge. To their credit, they took it and cleaned it immediately after many apologies. Drove home whining about the charge and the fact that my preset screens in the dash are messed up, which happens anytime they get in the computer. Same story with the eco Diesel, no biggie. Once home I proceed to reset everything to my liking and find the tires at 85 PSI in the rear, and 69PSI in the front!! I may not be so generous with my review of them when they send the survey, lol. Having said all that, we love this dealership, they are and have always been very good to us, and the dirty seat and tire pressure issue are the first time I have had a reason to complain. The outrageous charge is on me. A good friend, with a fleet of Ram trucks, laughed when i told him and we agreed next oil change I will bring it to his shop with a few beers to do the job on his lift. He said we can buy the oil and all the filters for around $150. Lesson learned.
Old 04-03-2022, 05:59 AM   #23

I have a 2013 Ram 2500 Cummins 6.7 Auto 68rfe, I tow a 39' Toyhauler and a 14K equipment trailer, I average about 15k miles per year.

It is my first diesel truck and my next truck will probably be a gas engine. To make my current truck enjoyable I had to defeat the emissions equipment, the DEF hassle and the numerous check engine lights and dealer fixes under warranty was annoying and would be expensive now that is out of warranty. If I were to buy a new diesel, it is now almost impossible to delete the emissions equipment, bringing back the hassle factor.

My previous truck was a Chevy 6.0 gas, it was capable of pulling the same loads as the Ram just not as fast. It was trouble free for 100k miles with only normal maintenance, no recalls and no hassles.

So unless you want a diesel just because it is a diesel, get a gas engine, I am watching the Ford 7.3 gas engine to see how it does.

FWIW my brother drives semis for a living and the diesel emissions equipment has caused him to spend many days waiting for a fix for a check engine light related to emissions. Including being stuck in a truck stop for a week 300 miles from home waiting for the OEM to diagnose, obtain parts and repair his truck. His company has spent tens of thousands of dollars on his truck trying to keep it on the road and compliant to emissions regulations.

Good Luck
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 06:14 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
... DW is very resistant to a diesel, I think mostly because of peoples aftermarket changes and how loud some of them are. I like the idea of nearly unlimited power, but not sure what to expect from maintenance as we put so few miles on a TV each year.

I might go look at it tomorrow
Did you ever go look at one?

If you would get your wife there, EVERY one of her objections, sans the cost for the diesel option would be squelched. PERIOD. Most modern day diesels are not that much noisier than their gas cousins. None of them stink when running, possibly even less than their gas cousins.

But one thing is for sure, there ain't a gas cousin out there that can match the pulling performance of the diesel. Someone mentioned it earlier in the thread, when they used the word "effortlessly". That is the greatest word to describe how a diesel makes power. Effortlessly. If you love hearing the roar of your engine pulling it's brains out towing at 3500+ RPMs, then you should get a gasse. Diesels never need to turn as fast as gas motors to make a LOT more power, and so they are ultimately quieter on the road while towing, in ALL situations.

Several have also said that you can never make an argument for getting a diesel over a gas, unless you're towing, using it for other things, etc. I disagree with that. We have owned 3 diesel pickups, and everyone one of them has been a "tool" to get the job done properly. Yeah, you can buy a cheaper tool that will get the job done (gas motor), but in the end, when I'm on a two lane road towing 16K pounds of 5er, I want to be ASSURED that the tool I brought to the party has the guts to pass that car in front of me, AND I don't want to hear that tool complain about it by revving it's engine to 5000 RPMs to get the job done. When you look at the engine as a tool, I think the arguments about up front costs, maintenance, etc, quickly go out the window.

YMMV...
Old 04-03-2022, 06:52 AM   #25

I have had so many. The one I have now is a 2018 limited megacab tungsten edition with the diesel. The truck is a beast. Break in takes forever but fuel mileage keeps going up. Around town now is in 20 highway is much better. The DEF is no big deal. Best truck I have owned. I tow a 26rk and car trailers. Don’t even know they are attached. I did design rear springs to lower the rear. They tend to sit higher. I have same towing and hauling capacity with a load on.

Get one asap.
stephencs601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:04 AM   #26

I have read that front end components, i.e., suspension, wear prematurely on Dodge and Ram trucks. What have you long timers experienced?
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I have read that front end components, i.e., suspension, wear prematurely on Dodge and Ram trucks. What have you long timers experienced?
Never had any problems with my Dodge trucks and i used to be a Ford person
Old 04-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #28

I am pretty tough on my trucks and have not had any issues. I have purchased 34 vehicles in 14 years. Only one vehicle gave me issues a 1999 sable wagon. Bought that new had it for under 1000 mikes and it fell apart literally. Sued ford and won all my money back. That is when I bought my first Durango.

I tow and plow with my ram 2500 so far no problems.
stephencs601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 09:08 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by crockettlarry View Post
I haven't had a problem with my Ram diesel, but only have 48000 on it. But, I've never had front end issues with my early Power Strokes, only one worn tie rod end on a 2005 Duramax, but this one had way over 200K miles on it. I do know other Ram high mileage owners, and haven't heard any complaints on suspension or front end problems.

2022 Jayco 28.5 RSTS
Yooper906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 10:02 AM   #30

Smile Thanks

Thank you for the info too since I am looking for same truck.
lrhogusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 02:47 PM   #31

Thank you all for answering in a civilized manner. Genuine question, and y'all did well.
crockettlarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2022, 08:21 PM   #32

"I have read that front end components, i.e., suspension, wear prematurely on Dodge and Ram trucks. What have you long timers experienced?"

Dodge Diesel trucks are notorious for using up ball joints, on my 2013 I replaced the ball joints at 100K miles and should have replaced them sooner. If you read the Dodge truck forums there are many complaints about ball joints with many opinions on the best replacements to use.

I do not have any experience with Chevy or Ford diesel trucks.
Peoples16127 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:34 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peoples16127 View Post
"I have read that front end components, i.e., suspension, wear prematurely on Dodge and Ram trucks. What have you long timers experienced?"

Dodge Diesel trucks are notorious for using up ball joints, on my 2013 I replaced the ball joints at 100K miles and should have replaced them sooner. If you read the Dodge truck forums there are many complaints about ball joints with many opinions on the best replacements to use.

I do not have any experience with Chevy or Ford diesel trucks.
I was told that by friends when I purchased my 2007 Dakota. Only front end work I have ever done is replace the front end sway bar linkages while under warranty.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 07:54 AM   #34
Site Team

I did one set of ball joints on my 2007 at approximately 90K miles. Several sets of front u-joints. Keep in mind that my trucks get used very hard and are off road all the time. I can't tell you if there would be a difference if it was a pavement princess.

Our old 2004.5 (which is now my brother-in-law's plow truck) has almost 500K miles on it and it still is on the original ball joints to my knowledge. He's broken quite a few parts since it has been in plow duty, but I think those joints are still original.

By the way, that truck is still on the original injectors, injection pump, and other than band adjustments and fluid changes, the original transmission is untouched (automatic). They don't offer a manual transmission anymore, but my '07 is on an aftermarket clutch to handle the power (South Bend Clutch) I've done 1 rear seal on that one. New oil pans on both. I can't think of anything else major.
2015 MB Sprinter 2500 Passenger 2.1L Diesel
2007 Ram 2500 4x4 Cummins 5.9L G56

Midnightmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 09:06 AM   #35

Well I did not get out and look at the Diesel on Wednesday. We had rain that turned to ice then snow, then back to ice. It was not pleasant around here. On Friday the Dealer's website said "Sale Pending".

I have noticed more and more TVs being listed. There is another one not to far away that just got listed and states it is in transport.

2012 Jayco X23B
2020 Ram Laramie 3500 SRW Air ride 50Gal fuel tank.
2007 Dodge Dakota Quad Cab (sold)
Equal-I-zer 4-Point Sway Control
Jagiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagiven View Post
Thanks for the feedback! I fully admit, I am cheap! I just cringe at a $70K+ vehicle.
We have only purchased one new vehicle ever, 6 months old has been our moto. Pricing had always been good, and we have always found what we like. DW is very resistant to a diesel, I think mostly because of peoples aftermarket changes and how loud some of them are. I like the idea of nearly unlimited power, but not sure what to expect from maintenance as we put so few miles on a TV each year.

It really comes down to, what comes first? The Chicken or the Egg? Hopefully next year we will be upgrading to an Eagle HT (maybe the 27RL or 27RS, but there are others we like too). With the HTT, I fully expect we will not even know it is back there. But a 5ver, even a HT, has a lot of frontal surface area to deal with.

I might go look at it tomorrow
loud??? i can hardly hear my diesel.. IMO it is actually too quiet!
curver900 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 01:41 PM   #37

We have 06 Ram 3500 4x4 bought new tow 30' fiver. Never get better than 9 mpg, 3 gallons of oil on oil change. Michelin tires run about 220 each last me 40k miles. On forth set, Have auto tranny 410 rear. Really have no intentions of selling. Thanks
PS Did steering idler arm took maybe 45 min!
bdreinv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2022, 05:57 PM   #38

I've had 2 CTD's. One 2012 and now a 2019 with a 2018 6.4 2500 in between. I don't need to feel like I need to recoup the cost of the CTD any more than thinking I need to recoup the cost of leather and nav. It's all a personal option since I'm not buying it for business use.
As far as maintenance goes, Im done doing messy oil changes and take my 19 in once a year for that. I still do the fuel filters once a year as well but do them myself.
A gas 3/4 ton gets 8.5-9.5 towing and 17 on the hwy. My 3500 CTD gets 11.5-12 towing the same TT and 20+ on the hwy.
Even with diesel being more $$ than gas right now the better towing mpg's of the CTD will still pay for my oil changes. Fuel filters are $130 total and are fairly easy to do. When I heard how much my dealer wanted for fuel filters I ordered some from Geno's Garage and did it myself in about an hour total for both.
My 19 uses DEF and gets much better mpg's and has more power and's smother running than my 12. I was a Ford guy forever until I bought a 12 Ram 2500 CTD and was sold on Ram. They may have some quirks but so do Ford and GM.
Plus the EB on the CTD is pretty sweet.
goducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2022, 04:18 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by goducks View Post
I've had 2 CTD's. One 2012 and now a 2019 with a 2018 6.4 2500 in between. I don't need to feel like I need to recoup the cost of the CTD any more than thinking I need to recoup the cost of leather and nav. It's all a personal option since I'm not buying it for business use.
As far as maintenance goes, Im done doing messy oil changes and take my 19 in once a year for that. I still do the fuel filters once a year as well but do them myself.
A gas 3/4 ton gets 8.5-9.5 towing and 17 on the hwy. My 3500 CTD gets 11.5-12 towing the same TT and 20+ on the hwy.
Even with diesel being more $$ than gas right now the better towing mpg's of the CTD will still pay for my oil changes. Fuel filters are $130 total and are fairly easy to do. When I heard how much my dealer wanted for fuel filters I ordered some from Geno's Garage and did it myself in about an hour total for both.
My 19 uses DEF and gets much better mpg's and has more power and's smother running than my 12. I was a Ford guy forever until I bought a 12 Ram 2500 CTD and was sold on Ram. They may have some quirks but so do Ford and GM.
Plus the EB on the CTD is pretty sweet.
Read post #22. I learned the hard way, will be doing my fuel filters going forward.
Old 04-12-2022, 08:33 AM   #40

Your locking at a different kbb than me. In most instances gassers retain a slightly higher % of msrp than diesels. Unless Iam suffering stroke symptoms?
Pickledill is offline   Reply With Quote